1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
528 Posts
Nice....how much did that run you? If I did not need that storage space under the passenger rear seat I am sure I would do something similar.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any idea as to the amount of airspace in that box?? or approx db's your pushing?? thanks

ken

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't actually seen or heard the system. The truck is currently en route from Panama City to the Virgin Islands, where I live. I can't guarantee how much the stereo stuff alone would cost you because I got a package deal for all the stuff they did on my truck, but I was charged about $1100 for the custom box, 300/4 amp, 2 10w1 subs, JBL power series components up front, and all cables and wires with professional install and fine tuning. According to SOS, the box was built to JL specs so I would assume there's at least 1.3 cft total. They also said there is only enough space to run 1 10W1 ported so that tells me it's less than 2 cft total. I know they also made one for crewmax but airspace was same. Maybe they can make it bigger by using passenger side space or behind seat(esp. in crewmax)
Contact the good folks at tundraracing.com for details and pricing.
I wouldn't expect it to exceed 115 db peaks based on amp power and JL sensitivity. SOS says it's plenty loud and crystal clear... I'll update when I hear it.
The Passenger side storage can remain if you put amp(s) elsewhere like under front seats or behind rear seat.
Rumbler

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Nice setup. Are there pre-outs for the amp in the factory deck, so that you didn't have to change the deck out?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice setup. Are there pre-outs for the amp in the factory deck, so that you didn't have to change the deck out?

No preamp outputs, but the JL amps have a very wide range input sensitivity so they can be driven with almost any speaker level output.
Rumbler

·
Registered
699 Posts
so does the amp have inputs for speaker wire? or did you use a line out converter to get RCAjacks for the amp?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I spliced in a line out converter on my 06. not doing that again. when I traded in my 06 i put everything back to normal but I guess theygo through the truck very thoughly when it's still under warrenty they call me two days later and asked me about the wires running to the factory amp with the shrink tube on it and were very pissed.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
No preamp outputs, but the JL amps have a very wide range input sensitivity so they can be driven with almost any speaker level output.
Rumbler
You might as well be speaking Greek to me, as I don't follow aftermarket stero stuff. Basically what I'd like to know is this...when I buy a new Tundra with the regular deck (not the NAV), and if I want to change out the speakers and an add amp and subs, can I do so and still keep the factory deck? If so, how? Basically, how does the amp hook up to the factory deck? I like everything to look as original as possible.

Thanks in advance for the info...

·
Registered
699 Posts
with a line out converter which splices into your rear speaker wires and ges into this box and the wires comming out are RCA jacks that you can hook your amp up too.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I spliced in a line out converter on my 06. not doing that again. when I traded in my 06 i put everything back to normal but I guess theygo through the truck very thoughly when it's still under warrenty they call me two days later and asked me about the wires running to the factory amp with the shrink tube on it and were very pissed.
it was your truck, they should have checked it before if they were worried. You have every right to do what you want. I would have said F off and hung up lol

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You might as well be speaking Greek to me, as I don't follow aftermarket stero stuff. Basically what I'd like to know is this...when I buy a new Tundra with the regular deck (not the NAV), and if I want to change out the speakers and an add amp and subs, can I do so and still keep the factory deck? If so, how? Basically, how does the amp hook up to the factory deck? I like everything to look as original as possible.

yes you can, and since you dont understand car audio, just ask someone who does to do it for you.(best bet)

but how you would is to use a Line Level converter. what this is, is basically a box that you hook up speaker wires to (tap into the current ones) and it has a set of RCA outputs (that go to your amp.) volume is controlled by speaker level which is your radio volume.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts

Please do not take offence to this....

Yes it can be done, but I don't think it should be done by someone who has never done it.

You may want to practice on something less expensive first.:D :tu:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts