Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Dissapointing. I have test drove the truck, felt the materials inside, felt the slightly flimsy sheet metal on the rear tailgate. I have noticed the disgusting exposed seats anchors on the seat. I am started to maybe think that the new Tundra is not as good as I thought it would be.

·
Banned
159 Posts
I ordered a CrewMax but only because of the kids and the wife who wanted the extra space in the cab.

IMO the Titan is a better truck and has a more solid overall interior and exterior.

The Tundra feels cheap to me.

The mechanical components; engine, drivetrain, susp etc. are likely BULLETPROOF and the rest was to save some $$$.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
549 Posts
4 out of 5 stars is not bad! Of course, 5 out of 5 would be better...but, 4/5 means 11%-20% chance of injury compared to 5/5 being less than 10% chance of injury. I will take the 4/5 and reliability of the Toyota instead of 5/5 of the GM products anyday.

·
Registered
19 Posts
4 out of 5 stars is not bad! Of course, 5 out of 5 would be better...but, 4/5 means 11%-20% chance of injury compared to 5/5 being less than 10% chance of injury. I will take the 4/5 and reliability of the Toyota instead of 5/5 of the GM products anyday.
don't expect the ratings to last. NHTSA will allow a retest after a fix is in place. action will be quick...Toyota knows everyone is watching.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I will be keeping my 01 Tundra until they make the 07 safer. It is not that hard today to get a five star rating. Toyota did a great job with the previous generation Tundra's so whats the problem now.:mad:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I ordered a CrewMax but only because of the kids and the wife who wanted the extra space in the cab.

IMO the Titan is a better truck and has a more solid overall interior and exterior.

The Tundra feels cheap to me.

The mechanical components; engine, drivetrain, susp etc. are likely BULLETPROOF and the rest was to save some $$$.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
Your assessment of the Tundra is a matter of perception. A friend of mine has a Titan and has had nothing but trouble since day one. Tires every 12K miles, radio replaced twice, rear end replaced under recall, 12mpg, ect.... The Titan may appear to be more solid but go to the Titan forums, it is anything but.:td:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I will be keeping my 01 Tundra until they make the 07 safer. It is not that hard today to get a five star rating. Toyota did a great job with the previous generation Tundra's so whats the problem now.:mad:
I agree:( This is just unacceptable, not to mention disappointing. You can sit here all day long and say it is only one star, but when the competition all have a 5 star rating there's no excuse. It will just be one more perceived disadvantage versus the competition by shoppers. The competition forums are having a hay day with this and anything else they can find to rag on Toyota and the Tundra about and it pisses me off, honestly. I hate being the underdog and thats just what Toyota is in this market. Perhaps th most frustrating part is how it nearly dominates other markets so fluidly(midsize sedans, midsize pickups, etc.)

I was considering a new Tundra when I graduate next year but will probably just buy a new Tacoma. I plan to stick with Toyota. You know, there are some things you can overlook about a vehicle when buying, but when you get over $30K, there's only so many things you can overlook before you have to step back and honestly evaluate your decision. Quality and engineering is what Toyota WAS known for, now I don't know what to think.:(

Well anyway, I feel better. All I know is Toyota had better be shi!!ing a brick over this and not letting this slide if they want my business in the future. Letting things slide is exactly what happened to the Big 3. Dare I say it, but maybe this is what happens when you let Americans engineer a truck for Toyota:eek:

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
a retest? it's too late to re-design the truck, how can they improve it now?
They can probably add a few more airbags, stronger side impact bars and maybe an ejection seat for the really bad crashes.:D

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
They can probably add a few more airbags, stronger side impact bars and maybe an ejection seat for the really bad crashes.:D
LOL! add a large pillow type air bag to the front bumper or a water filled plastic tank. unacceptable for a Toyota you can take ugly but not less safe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here's interesting information on the IIHS test. This image illustrates the difference between the poor and good ratings. Pretty big difference!

Here's the Tundra in the Government crash test. Looks like the cab held up fairly well. I wonder if it's something not structural related like seatbelts or airbag placement that resulted in the poor results.

If you compare the head, chest and femur impact force numbers between the Tundra and the Silverado, the Silverado has lower numbers. This means more force is being transfered to the Tundra cabin occupants. This can happen if the crumple zone is TOO stiff and doesn't deform and absorb energy sufficiently. It can also happen as a result of non-structural issues like seatbelts or airbag placement.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I certainly hope this is something that can be rectified....Safety is a very high priority for me and I would find it hard to buy something that is not as safe as the domestics.....TOYOTA, GET ON THIS NOW!..............

·
Registered
479 Posts
Some more information on the topic.

Cars.com: Safety Advice | Crash Tests

Taken from the link above.

The two testing agencies perform different types of frontal tests. NHTSA crashes cars head-on into a solid immovable barrier. Neither the angle nor the obstacle corresponds with the majority of real collisions. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety conducts a frontal-offset crash into a deformable barrier that reacts like another vehicle. This test gauges how well half of the vehicle's front end absorbs crash energy. Many experts say this test is more revealing and better represents the majority of real-world crashes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
damn did you see the video????the driveside mirror broke off and you can see the passager mirror shoot off into the air even the gas cap flap flys off!!! talk about cheap!!!:td: and did u see how bad the dummy was thown around in the cab:eek: i hate to see the offset crash test...ouch!! i sure thought this truck would get a five star.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I certainly hope this is something that can be rectified....Safety is a very high priority for me and I would find it hard to buy something that is not as safe as the domestics.....TOYOTA, GET ON THIS NOW!..............
The 4 star rating is the same rating the previous gen Tundra has, how is the Tundra not safe? I'd wait for the IIHS results before making judgements about it's crash worthiness. Although the pre 2004 Ford F-150 got 4 and 5 star ratings from the NHTSA, the IIHS results were so bad, IIHS-HLDI: Ford F-150
IIHS-HLDI: Chevrolet Silverado 1500
it caused Ford to go to the fully boxed frame for the 2004 F-150.
IIHS-HLDI: Toyota Tundra
Most people dismiss EPA mileage results as being unrealistic. After seeing the results from IIHS, I would put the NHTSA findings in the same category.

·
Registered
132 Posts
damn did you see the video????the driveside mirror broke off and you can see the passager mirror shoot off into the air even the gas cap flap flys off!!! talk about cheap!!!:td: and did u see how bad the dummy was thown around in the cab:eek: i hate to see the offset crash test...ouch!! i sure thought this truck would get a five star.
Heres the Silverado movie. Same thing.

http://www.safercar.gov/movie/2007/07Silverado-f.wmv

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Dam did you see the video? the driver side mirror broke off and you can see the the bed bend into the cab and stay there mite be a bent fully boxed frame :D even the gas cap flap fly open but wont stay open, talk about cheap!!!:td: and did you see how the tail gate pops open:eek: that silverado has quality issues but it did do slightly better than Tundra way better than the silverado classic.

the Tundra looked more solid and got the same rating as the previous generation Tundra from 04, even in 05 and up the driver side had 4 stars passengers had 5, maybe they need a weaker frame that things just too solid, maybe removing the c channel reinforcement will make bend like the silverado.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts