1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an interesting link regarding some Tundra specs:

http://www.toyota.ca/NWS/media/pdf/07towing_guide_e.pdf

It also shows Tacoma specs.

Max GAWR for the Tundra is 4000lbs for the front axle, and 4150lbs for the rear axle. That's a total GAWR of 8150 lbs. Now the Tundra's max GVWR is 7200 lbs. That's 950 pound difference between the GAWR and the GVWR.

Now look at the Tacoma: it's max GAWR is 2755 lbs for the front axle, and 3110 lbs for the rear axle. That's a total GAWR of 5865 lbs. The Tacoma's max GVWR is 5450. That's a 415 pound difference between GAWR and GVWR.

As I understand it, in a typical truck, there shouldn't be such a big difference between the GAWR and GVWR.

For those thinking whether or not the new Tundra is over-engineered, take a moment to think about these numbers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I didn't look at the link but it might have something to do with the fact that when a vehicle is loaded most of the added weight rests on the rear axle. So if someone loads up the bed until they are at the rear GAWR they will still be under the front GAWR and can't add any more weight unless they can put it in a place where it will only add to the weight on the front axle.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I found an interesting link regarding some Tundra specs:

http://www.toyota.ca/NWS/media/pdf/07towing_guide_e.pdf

It also shows Tacoma specs.

Max GAWR for the Tundra is 4000lbs for the front axle, and 4150lbs for the rear axle. That's a total GAWR of 8150 lbs. Now the Tundra's max GVWR is 7200 lbs. That's 950 pound difference between the GAWR and the GVWR.

Now look at the Tacoma: it's max GAWR is 2755 lbs for the front axle, and 3110 lbs for the rear axle. That's a total GAWR of 5865 lbs. The Tacoma's max GVWR is 5450. That's a 415 pound difference between GAWR and GVWR.

As I understand it, in a typical truck, there shouldn't be such a big difference between the GAWR and GVWR.

For those thinking whether or not the new Tundra is over-engineered, take a moment to think about these numbers.

There is something weird about the numbers in this table. Take for example, the 5.7 DC Std Bed 4x4, which is the model I have my eye on so I am most familiar. Everything I have seen from Toyota shows this model's payload as 1655lbs. If you subtract the curb weight (5590) in the document you posted from the GVWR of 7100, you get 1510. I am looking at Toyota's printed Tundra brochure and on the bottom of page 35 it shows the DC 6.5ft bed 4x4 w/ 5.7v8 at payload of 1655 and the weight is 5445, not 5590. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just confused.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't look at the link but it might have something to do with the fact that when a vehicle is loaded most of the added weight rests on the rear axle. So if someone loads up the bed until they are at the rear GAWR they will still be under the front GAWR and can't add any more weight unless they can put it in a place where it will only add to the weight on the front axle.
Most of the Tundra's weight rests on the front axle when the truck is unloaded. That's where the engine, tranny, cab and bulk of the frame all rest. The rear has to deal with suspension, rear end ring gear assembly, tow hitch assembly, and of course the bed. Plus the rear axle can handle a bit more weight than the front axle. So with a max GVWR of 7200 lbs on the Tundra, that's roughly an average of 3600 lbs per axle. That still leaves roughly another 450 lbs each axle can handle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is something weird about the numbers in this table. Take for example, the 5.7 DC Std Bed 4x4, which is the model I have my eye on so I am most familiar. Everything I have seen from Toyota shows this model's payload as 1655lbs. If you subtract the curb weight (5590) in the document you posted from the GVWR of 7100, you get 1510. I am looking at Toyota's printed Tundra brochure and on the bottom of page 35 it shows the DC 6.5ft bed 4x4 w/ 5.7v8 at payload of 1655 and the weight is 5445, not 5590. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just confused.
i'm not sure to be honest. It could be equipment differences between US and Canadian Tundras. Canadian Tundras might have different standard equipment than US Tundras, I haven't yet checked that though.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
i'm not sure to be honest. It could be equipment differences between US and Canadian Tundras. Canadian Tundras might have different standard equipment than US Tundras, I haven't yet checked that though.
Need to consider the following:

- Tow package
- Cold weather package

Sanosuke!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts