Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hope someone who designs tundras reads this!!!

Has anyone else noticed some of the shortcomings in the new 2007 tundras.. i drive a 2001 tundra and have never had a problem, tundras are probabily the best truck on the market. the new tundra has more power and better brakes bt it's a LOT bigger? i like the strength and the breaks but i can't figure out why they made it bigger???

I was somewhat happy when i heard it would be bigger untill i realized that there was no benifit for the size increase. I'm 6'3" tall which is becoming pretty usual in the the world and i have at least an inch more head room in the 2001 tundra but i can't figure out why because the 2007 is 5" taller and has 1" less ground clearence than the 2001. That means that it has 6" more space to add head room and i can't figure out where it went. My head doesn't touch the celing but it comes very close and i'm only 6'3". the problem is not comfort but that i have to lean foward to see when a stoplight turns green because it is not within the viewable range for someone my height. I hope toyota fixes this problem by allowing the seat to lower further with the electoronic controll. an extra 2" or even 1" would make a world of difference.

the other problem that i have with it is a petty one but i'm goning to say it anyway. on the crewmax there is an option to have a rear window that rolls down. However it is not an option in the extended cab model. the problem is that i need the bed space on the extended cab modle but i want that feature. Why doesn't it exist?

Hope someone from Toyota sees the issue and fixes it because i think that these will be big buying factors for many people.

Thanks and i'll buy one when these problems are fixed

·
Registered
237 Posts
hope someone who designs tundras reads this!!!

Has anyone else noticed some of the shortcomings in the new 2007 tundras.. i drive a 2001 tundra and have never had a problem, tundras are probabily the best truck on the market. the new tundra has more power and better brakes bt it's a LOT bigger? i like the strength and the breaks but i can't figure out why they made it bigger???

I was somewhat happy when i heard it would be bigger untill i realized that there was no benifit for the size increase. I'm 6'3" tall which is becoming pretty usual in the the world and i have at least an inch more head room in the 2001 tundra but i can't figure out why because the 2007 is 5" taller and has 1" less ground clearence than the 2001. That means that it has 6" more space to add head room and i can't figure out where it went. My head doesn't touch the celing but it comes very close and i'm only 6'3". the problem is not comfort but that i have to lean foward to see when a stoplight turns green because it is not within the viewable range for someone my height. I hope toyota fixes this problem by allowing the seat to lower further with the electoronic controll. an extra 2" or even 1" would make a world of difference.

the other problem that i have with it is a petty one but i'm goning to say it anyway. on the crewmax there is an option to have a rear window that rolls down. However it is not an option in the extended cab model. the problem is that i need the bed space on the extended cab modle but i want that feature. Why doesn't it exist?

Hope someone from Toyota sees the issue and fixes it because i think that these will be big buying factors for many people.

Thanks and i'll buy one when these problems are fixed
I agree with you about the head room in the '07 Tundra. I came from an '04 DC which felt like it had a lot more head room, when compared to the '07. It's probably something to do with the bucket seats and the way it works. When you compare head room figures between the first generation Tundra and the '07, there is a big difference.

Regarding the rear sliding window, it's a shame they could not offer this option on the DC. It's a great feature and I enjoy it very much on my CrewMax. I just returned from picking up my Brushed Stainless Steel Running Boards from the dealer and used the rear sliding window to cool down the cab:tu:

Good luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The overall height of the truck is taller, but some of that room is for more ground clearance and higher seats. I personally love the seats being higher as it makes it much more comfortable for me. The seats lower a fair amount if you're in a Limited.

The rear power window and sunroof are only available on the "top of line", just as it has been in the past.

As far as the bed, give it time. I'm sure Toyota wanted to make sure they could sell the new truck before they offered too many configurations. I'll bet within the next two years you'll see the 6.5' bed on the CrewMax.

·
Registered
29 Posts
im 6 foot7inches tall and the FIRST thing I noticed was a total lack of space in the crewmax and DC. Head hits the roof. Seats need to adjust 2 inches back and 2 inches down,,,Get on it Toyota or let GM, FORD and DCX tell the world that real (BIG) men don't fit in a Toyota.

Nissans Titan has LOADS of space ( but I hate the truck)

·
Registered
237 Posts
The rear power window and sunroof are only available on the "top of line", just as it has been in the past.QUOTE]

You mean to say that the rear power sliding window IS available on the DC? "Top of the line" meaning "Limited" DC? I thought the rear sliding window was never available on any model of the DC?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm confused:confused:

Cheers

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The rear sliding power window is only on the crewmax because the back of the cab is straight down and flat as the DC as a slight foward angle to it so the window can't retract down. I think Toyota should of taken a hint from Dodge and made the window in the Limited DC an electronic one that slides back in forth instead of it being manual like the Laramie Ram.

·
Registered
621 Posts
No problems with our truck. Fits me and the wife fine.:tu:

·
Registered
70 Posts
MACSTER you are wrong about the sliding window. It was not an option on only the "top of the line" models. I have it on my truck which is not a Limited and a friend with a SR% double cab (2006) has it on his also. You shouldn't make statements when you don't know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
87 Posts
MACSTER you are wrong about the sliding window. It was not an option on only the "top of the line" models. I have it on my truck which is not a Limited and a friend with a SR% double cab (2006) has it on his also. You shouldn't make statements when you don't know what you are talking about.
You have a "rear power window" as MACSTER described? Or are you talking about the manual horizontal slider? I think MACSTER knows what he's talking about but maybe you misread his post?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I said "top of the line" meaning the Limited CrewMax, or in other words the biggest beast you could buy. Previous years the DoubleCab was the "top of the line" model. I know it was available only on the DC, but I never looked close enough to see if it was an option on non-limited DCs. I'm not arguing that.

Anywho, by top of line I'm referring to cab model (Reg, DC, CM).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes Justa Bum my truck has the power full sliding rear window as well as the moon roof. And, MACSTER, not to be argumentive (well maybe a little) if you have a double cab or a crewmax in the limited model (2007) what makes the crewmax anymore "top of the line" than the limited double cab? The power sliding rear window? If it is not available because of the shape of the cab then it would seem to me that a limited any model would be the "top of the line". Plus, there are different options on the limited models as well. So, according to your definition, the "top of the line" Tundra would be the crewmax with every available option that can be had on the truck. Probably not too many "top of the line" trucks out there. :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
This '07 is the first Tundra I've owned.

I'm 6'6" 220. Are you looking at Bench or Buckets?

I seem to fit just fine. I have buckets.

Gotta get me some of those Brushed Stainless steps though...:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
And, MACSTER, not to be argumentive (well maybe a little) if you have a double cab or a crewmax in the limited model (2007) what makes the crewmax anymore "top of the line" than the limited double cab? :(
Like I said in my prior post, I'm just referring to the cab configuration. The base price on a CM is higher, and generally the more you spend the more top of the line it should be. It's a perceived notion, hence why I put it in quotes.

Sure, a power rear window won't work with the new DC cab design. But don't think Toyota didn't know what they were doing. If they wanted a power rear window in a DC, they would've designed it that way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After upgrading from my '84 X-Tra Cab to a Std. Cab 8ft Bed... I have to say that the '07 is super roomy... all y'all that got the extended cab and crew max really got f'd over because I don't think there is near as much room as my reg. cab... I dropped in 2 12" subs in a box meant for a hatchback and still have room to lay the seat back to the rear wall of the cab.. granted... I don't have room to haul 5 people around.. but i'm 6'3" 230 and I can fit myself and 2 other fairly large lads in no problem.... I got plenty of truck... lol yeah I wanted the 5.7... even the 4.7.. but I got the 4.0 V--6 cause thats what my situation allowed... all black.. LWB.. work model.. steel wheels..but the upgrades are makin it very quickly the envy of most of my buddies....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm 6' tall but I have a long upper body about like that of someone 6'6". The new Tundra doesn't work for me at all. No head clearance and my eyes are almost level with the top of the windshield. I thought that this was just a new Tundra problem until I started looking around at all the other new pickups. None of them fit me nearly as well as my 1997 Ford 150, including the new Fords. it seems that they are making them more "aerodynamically" now with more steeply sloping windshields, not that they get any better gas mileage than they did in '97. I have now tried all of the big pickup trucks. Headroomwise, the Tundra is the worst of them. Windshieldwise the Titan is the worst. My eyes are about level with the top of the windshield in the Titan. The only way I could deal with these vehicles would be to learn to drive in a reclined position, but that idea does not appeal to me. Ironically the compact pickups have better windshield and even headroom space, and double-ironically I can fit better into a little compact car than I can into the new giant pickup trucks - all of them! So I think I'll just have to keep my '97 F150 running forever, even tho it has almost 300,000 miles on it. I don't know what really tall people, basketball players, do now if they want a new pickup truck. All of the salesmen in the dealers I visited agreed with me too. One guy said his father is 6'8" and only solves the problem by driving in the reclined position. All except the Dodge salesman, that is. He seemed to be on cloud nine and just kept repeating salesman school mantras like "How close are we to completing the deal?" - but then his boss was looking at him funny too...

·
Registered
66 Posts
If anybody has any rational suggestions I'd appreciate it. Oh yes, I tried the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks as well as the 1/2 ton trucks, tho i only wanted a 1/2 ton. Unfortunately, huge as they are, the bigger ones are no better as far as headroom and windshield height goes.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Your only option is to lower the seat. You need to measure the trucks you are interested in this area and see how much of a reduction can be made.

Not sure how comfortable it'd be after doing that though. I'd definitely look toward adjustable pedals, tilt/tele wheels and power seats to help this.

This is all a tough thing to do when shopping for a new vehicle, though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm afraid that lowering the seats will cause an uncomfortable position with regards to leg position on the pedals, plus maybe voiding warranties, and then what about air bag angles, and, who knows, insurance companies might say injuries weren't covered because the seat-safety belt-air bag configuration was altered.

What the current crop of pickup trucks need is some retro styling, namely a higher roof and a more upright windshield. I can't believe what they've done to pickup trucks in the last ten years while I wasn't looking! Used to be any big galoot could fit into a pickup truck!

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I'm not crazy about the height of the seats. For the first week or so, I kept trying to lower it or change the pitch of the seat bottom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 5' 8.5" and noticed the head room differed from my 04 ram right away. Seems like the word "big" has another meaning in Asia.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts