Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states I have a 2007 4x4 double cab and began hearing a roaring noise from my drive train a few weeks ago. On Thursday a local dealer confirmed that the bearings were going in my rear differential. $1742 for the differential and 6 hr labor to replace. Ouch. I have decided to replace it with the Auburn LSD. My question now is what all do I need for parts to go with the differential or do I need any? Is there any thing else that needs to be done or I should have done while doing the job?

If anyone has done this swap and has a parts list or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Is the swap as simple as pulling the axles and the carrier swapping out the differentials? How long should it realistically take for someone to change?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Silverstreek, I have watched the video. I have been googling since thursday trying to gather as much info as possible. I am going to order the auburn tomorrow, so I will ask lots of questions and find out what I need in turns of other parts.

Thanks for the reply.

Andrew

· Registered
1,410 Posts
Just curious: How many miles on your truck, and did you haul or tow anything heavy on a regular basis? Also, did you change the differential fluid per the maintenance recommendations? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect if I keep this truck for some time. Thanks.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are 158,000 KM, not miles. I haul a couple of ton wood pellets every year for my furnace, not in one load obviously. But other than that I have never hauled a trailer. The truck is a daily driver, not a worktruck.

· Registered
105 Posts
You may already be aware of this? Just make sure the install procedures are followed to the letter. Ask the supplier of the Auburn Limited Slip Differential if they provide everything you need for a complete install to include easy to understand directions, gaskets, seals, bearings, and if needed, shims. The reason I say shims is because you're installing a different type of spool in your rear end housing that will need to be completely setup from the beginning. I've seen people who setup an OEM rear using OEM parts just replace seals and bearings while maintaining the original positioning of the shims because the OEM Gear Set and spool was being used. Doing it that way put them in the ball park, and therefor setting up the ring and pinion lash was a fairly easy procedure.

I do believe if I were doing this on my own Tundra? I would go the same route as you are! It's a little more work and trouble, but I believe you'll be much happier with the Auburn LSD compared to the OEM Toyota rear end.

Good Luck!

Silverstreek

If you don't have a dial inch pound torque wrench from 0 to 150 lbs, there are a few on ebay for around $100.00

· Registered
105 Posts
By the way. On another forum called "Tundratalk.net" there was a discussion about the Auburn LSD. Strangely enough it was titled "Auburn LSD" :)

I didn't read all through the 13 pages of information and comments. But you may want to read it for yourself just to see if anyone had any complaints or understand if they had any install issues you could head off before you start on your project.

· Registered
146 Posts
Several years ago I bought and had the Auburn installed. The shop that did the install did an excellent job, took about 6 hours and was charged $600. The shop had to get a different or additional shims, the shims sent with the Auburn didn't quite do the job. The shop that did the install was able to get the shims needed local or had them I don't remember. 500 mi break in, be sure to use lube and additive Auburn recommends. 40K miles, no problems, no regrets. I change the diff lube and additive every 10K.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I have been searching the net hard for all the info I can find. I am in the process now of having a shop, who has done a couple of tundras, price out a rebuild of my rear end or dropping in the new Auburn diff and all necessary bearings/parts. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Andrew

· Registered
298 Posts
I heard a one time clicking on 07 CM diff only when backing up, it sounded like a stuck caliper.. I ended up replacing it wih an Auburn Pro LSD and that sound went away. I had a local gear shop install it and he said my 4:30 gears were wearing out. Long story short, my buddy actually swapped out his 4:30s for 4:88s and an Auburn Pro. He gave me his stock diff and 4:30 gears.. So now I have 2 oem rear diffs in my garage.. If you didn't buy the Aurburn yet, I'd gladly send one oem diff to you if you want to swap yours out. Its heavy though at 46 lbs and Shipping is about $50 I'm assuming.. Send me a PM if you are interested..

· Registered
105 Posts
I heard a one time clicking on 07 CM diff only when backing up, it sounded like a stuck caliper.. I ended up replacing it wih an Auburn Pro LSD and that sound went away. I had a local gear shop install it and he said my 4:30 gears were wearing out. Long story short, my buddy actually swapped out his 4:30s for 4:88s and an Auburn Pro. He gave me his stock diff and 4:30 gears.. So now I have 2 oem rear diffs in my garage.. If you didn't buy the Aurburn yet, I'd gladly send one oem diff to you if you want to swap yours out. Its heavy though at 46 lbs and Shipping is about $50 I'm assuming.. Send me a PM if you are interested..
I just wanted to say how awesome it is to see one member wanting to help another member out. I understand this forum is set up to do that, but usually it's advice, and not materials that would normally cost a fortune if someone needed to purchase them from a dealer. All too often people either ignore the plight of others, or flat don't care! But you have gone above and beyond in your desire to help another member you may have never met, or don't know. You my friend have shown the Christmas spirit early! And good for you!

Have a great Christmas and New Year!
Silverstreek

· Registered
298 Posts
Thanks Silverstreak for the recognition..
Goodluck Chessie72... I just saw that your from nova scotia, which I looked up to be 5,911 km away!.. it might be 4x the price to ship something that far.. The Auburn Pro is the best replacement fix. I'm enjoying mine.. Good Luck..
:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.