Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sprayed my taillights with a custom mix of DuPont Black toner and clear base to tint them. I think they came out nice. The finish is flawless and exactly the color I was shooting for. The only problem is that I did them while I still had the camper mounted and totally forgot about the 3rd brake light :rolleyes:. Well I am planning to shoot the 3rd brake light, but anyone who has ever shot translucent paint knows that it gets progressively darker with the addition of coats.

Now I can try to just do the 3rd brake light, but I am not certain I can get the exact match of the tails. I am very picky about details and if it isn’t perfect, I will not be happy. Since they are fresh, I decided to post them for trade + cash locally so I could start over with a fresh set of taillights. This way I know they will all match. I have had an overwhelming response so it looks like they will be gone already.

Here is the thing. The guy that wants them has a 2010. If I am not mistaken, they have different tail lights. I have never seen the 2010 lights in person, but I am a bit hesitant to change my 07 style (which I really like) for the 2010 models (which I am unsure about).

Has anyone made the swap? Comments please. I can still tell this guy no and get a set of 07-09 lights.

here is the current setup

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
they mount the same and all that, the '10s just are squared off instead of round blugy....

google image searches work wonders

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol i actually did that but I was getting too many images of sweet euro ebay tailights and not what I wanted to see. Hmm Im not sure about the square hump. Maybe some 2010 owners can chime in

·
Registered
166 Posts
They new taillights are god awful ugly. So are the towing mirrors.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Funny that you posted this because I just noticed this a couple days ago. I went camping last week and helped a friend back his truck up to his trailer (no camera). I noticed that the tail lights were more squared off, I also checked to see if they were LED (which they weren't).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Your tail lights look great - if I was coming through College Station any time soon (I went to A&M), I'd offer to swap you mine. If I were you, I'd just go for it with the 3rd brake light lens - you'd have to really underspray it or overspray it to really notice a difference with the translucent paint. And if you were that annoyed with it, you could look into a replacement lens and try again (not sure how cheap they are). But ultimately, you have to do what is going to happy with it every time you look at it.

Great looking truck!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I've had both, and much prefer the 2010s. Although BOTH are way too large, the previous style looked like a cross between a Dodge Durango and a school bus. I'd get the cheapo eBay tails, which look like they should have come stock. :)

BTW, our wonderful senses of taste are waaaay too similar :) See wheels below!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had both, and much prefer the 2010s. Although BOTH are way too large, the previous style looked like a cross between a Dodge Durango and a school bus. I'd get the cheapo eBay tails, which look like they should have come stock. :)

BTW, our wonderful senses of taste are waaaay too similar :) See wheels below!

haha Yes indeed! Im going on 2+years with my wheels painted and they still look pretty good.

I happened to take notice of some '10 tails on the way home from work yesterday. Not too bad. I am going to go ahead and do the deal, but I do like the look of some of the new LED tails. Theres a red/black combo and a red/smoke combo that looks really good. Unfortunately I like the top on one and the bottom on the other so I'll wait for them to get it right before i make a purchase

1 - 11 of 11 Posts