Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The truck has 160k miles and with no warning just a click when starting. Got the battery tested at the local O'Reilly and it failed. Purchased a new battery, cleaned connectors, and had a tight connection...just a click still. Check all grounds for corrosion, blown fuses, and check starter relay with ohm meter /9 volt battery (All Good). Figure it to be the starter. Purchase remanufactured starter from O'Reilly and install (real fun). Truck fires up on the first try but I can hear the brushes on the starter still running and when I turn the truck off they stay engaged until I remove power from the negative post of the battery. I try to start it several times with the same result. Get the starter tested and it passes the O'Reilly test but after explaining my issue O'Reilly swaps that one out. So after installing the 2nd starter, the truck fires up on the first try again but this time no brushes running during or after...great, right? On the second attempt to start JUST A CLICK!!! Looking for help here? Have tried my spare key. Diagnostic palm computer is showing code C1202 Engine Control System Malfunction only?? From reading on issues I am starting to think it is the ignition switch?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After further troubleshooting, it is not the ignition switch and everything is pointing back to a faulty starter. Getting 12 volts continuously on the main wire to the starter and 12 volts on starting for the solenoid wire, has to be a faulty starter??? Two in a row??? Anybody else experienced this the ultima brand?? Going to try and get my money back from O'Reilly and go with Autozone Duralast Gold Standard starter instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI Faulty starter for the second time in a row was the problem!! Autozone's Duralast Gold Standard starter go her started.

Was able to remove starter by just removing my front passenger tire, the catalytic converter, and the heat shield from the exhaust and starter. May have to bend the shield on the starter to get it on and off the starter under the exhaust manifold but it can be done. Once the starter is loose you can maneuver it towards the front of the truck through the fender well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts