Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came home for lunch with no issues. Try to leave 15 minutes later and no crank, no start.

Thought it was a battery issue and put in a new battery - no dice.
Tested all the fuses under the hood and they came out good on a test light.
I tested the starter relay and it clicks when I apply a 9V battery to terminal 1 and 2.
I swapped relays with another with the same configuration, no luck.

I do notice that when I try to turn the key to start the car, the Navigation goes out and many other lights/dials on the dash. When I roll the key back to ACCESSORY it is like the vehicle "reboots" itself.

17 degrees outside, a lot of ice is built up under the truck in various areas. Could this be short-circuiting it somewhere?

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
Sure sounds like the starter failed. They are not fun to change even in a nice warm garage!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to get someone to turn the key while I listened under the hood, and I do hear the starter trying to click. I want to try to whack it with a hammer to see if I can jar something loose but I can't even see it. Still thinking towards failed starter in light of this?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
horn and lights work good? Turn on lights and hit starter what happens, do they dim? If you are loosing power when trying to crank sounds like either battery or connection of power to starter / system

·
Registered
1 Posts
No dimming, full brightness -- looks like a good connection.

I'm hoping to a thaw over the next few days helps things.
I have the same problem with my 2008. Jump starting with a running car works but then no issue for a few days. Started carrying a portable power pack to jump it but that doesn’t work. Only a running car will jump start. Replaced battery but still have intermittent no crank on second start of the day. 160,000 miles so I’m thinking of replacing crank sensor next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I need you help. Today I replacement inspiron cylinder for my truck 2007 Toyota tundra V8.5.7L cylinder is good I can't start something is wrong thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was able to get someone to turn the key while I listened under the hood, and I do hear the starter trying to click. I want to try to whack it with a hammer to see if I can jar something loose but I can't even see it. Still thinking towards failed starter in light of this?
Starter is underneath the intake on the 1st Gen 4.7

1 - 10 of 10 Posts