Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ll I now have one of those hopeless, sick feelings in my stomach. Here’s the short version… I looked for a 2007 or 2008 2nd generation Tundra for over 6 months. I did all my research of what to look out for and cautiously shopped around. I really wanted the 5.7L 4x4 TRD package with a color that my better half would appreciate.

I found one for sale by a private party that seemed like a very honest and fair older gentleman. I looked over the truck inside and out as best I could. I asked about all the common problems and got a copy of all the service records. The truck is in very good shape and everything was well maintained from what I can tell. 2008 SR5 4x4 TRD with 78,000 miles.

It had one of those plastic shell bed liners in it and a tonneau cover system installed on it. I knew about the bed rust issue some trucks had but I couldn’t get the shell bed liner out of the truck to check underneath it because of the rails for the tonneau cover. They were screwed to the inside of the box sides and then glued and water sealed to the side of the plastic protectors on the top of the box rails. I didn’t want to break them off or risk messing up the truck, so I was unable to check.

I ended up purchasing the truck and made an appointment to get a spray-in LINE-X bed liner installed next week. And you guessed it, I tore off the tonneau rails and got the shell bed liner out and found the dreaded bubbling and rust in 4 corners of the bed… see photos. I’ve been on the phone off and on all day talking with Toyota Customer Service and 4 Toyota Dealers. Nothing is set in stone yet, but I think them doing anything to help me is going to be a long shot at best at this point since the truck is outside of its original 60 month warranty period where they would replace the bed.

I talked to the seller and he had the tonneau cover and shell bed liner in the truck since new and never knew about the rust issue so I don’t feel right about pursuing anything through him. My one long shot is Toyota and I’m not holding my breath there. So here I am, I have a new to me $20,000 truck that has a rotting bed and I’m sick to my stomach. I know, buyer beware and it’s on me for not being able to look beforehand, but it’s now my issue and I need to figure something out.

I have read a lot of the old posts on this issue and it seems there’s not much you can do to fix it or prevent it, other than maybe slow it down with something like POR-15 paint. To fix it, Toyota recommends replacing the entire box and bed at $6,000 to $7,000. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions of where to go from here? Can a body shop weld steel plates over the rust and then I can have it sprayed with LINE-X or something like that? I use my truck for work (landscaping) and play everyday and am always hauling equipment and materials and jumping in and out of the bed. I can’t believe that they can rot like this after being only 7 year old and Toyota won’t do anything about it. I’ve always heard how great they are for customer service.

Any ideas or thoughts on how others have dealt with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Any ideas or thoughts on how others have dealt with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Yes. Put the plastic bed liner back.

Ok, you're probably not in the mood for joking about this, though my '03 Tundra has a bed liner I've never taken out. Who knows what's under there.

Having thought about this issue before and looking at your pics, it seems to me someone could make a kit consisting of flat laser cut stainless steel plates and some stainless steel structural rivets. Cut the rusted metal out, clean up and paint, rivet in the stainless plates. If you were closer I'd come take a look at your truck. Wisconsin's a bit of a haul though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Why are there holes in your truck bed? Were those holes for the plastic bed cover? Is that from factory or are those holes for a fifth wheel or something similar?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would probably grind it down and neutralize it and put the spray in bedliner.

And never think about it again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Mibro, yeah probably a little too far away, but thanks for the offer.

Holes are from bedliner. where it was attached to the bed. Don't know when that was done.

I'd love to spray a liner in and not worry about it again, but it's coming from the bottom up so the liner will just hide it until it gets crunchy under my feet.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Dont know what advice anyone could give besides telling you to replace the bed or rig it up.

Maybe weld or epoxy a plate to the bottom?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to visit with the dealership this week and some body guys. We'll see where it goes from there. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Holes are from bedliner. where it was attached to the bed. Don't know when that was done.
I have a Toyota factory plastic bedliner, there are no holes visible on the floor. It came as part of the work package and the factory window sticker has the bedliner listed as one of the options. Wonder why yours has holes? I haven't looked under the plastic bedliner though. I'm thinking about removing it once I get a shell in 1 month.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You're located in Wisconsin, right? When I think of Wisconsin, I think nasty winters with a lotta ice, snow, and road salt.

How's everything else look underneath the chassis?

Here in the desert SW, you can spot a "snowbird" vehicle a block away. I suppose up north one gets used to seeing it . . . but, it's hard not to notice that reddish-brown surface rust that builds-up around the wheel wells and on the visible portions of the front/rear chassis components.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I took my plastic liner out at 5 years and it rubbed a lot of paint off and had a lot of dirt and junk under it.

It is really worthless until I put it back in to cover the scratches, stains, and dents when I sell the truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. Mibro, yeah probably a little too far away, but thanks for the offer.

I'd love to spray a liner in and not worry about it again, but it's coming from the bottom up so the liner will just hide it until it gets crunchy under my feet.
I just

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just took off my liner today and the liner was tucked under the top rails.i seen then the holes your talking about but the cover wasnt screwd in.very disappointed about the rust its clean otherwise with the exception of small surface rust on tailgate .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts