Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the left side catalytic converter the first one in line is making a rattling noise. you hit it with you hand and it has a loose part inside. what is the best thing to do? replace it or is there something better? I had a check engine and brake light on on the panel. also noticed about a 4 MPG lose. I only have 114K miles.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Are you sure its an internal rattle and not just a heatshield?
As for the check engine line it means your throwing a code. Dont replace anything till you know what the actual code is. Most local automotive stores will read the code for free. Find out what the code is then search what it means on here. That will point you in the right direction for how to fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure its an internal rattle and not just a heatshield?
As for the check engine line it means your throwing a code. Dont replace anything till you know what the actual code is. Most local automotive stores will read the code for free. Find out what the code is then search what it means on here. That will point you in the right direction for how to fix it.
its not the heat shield. you bump it with your hand and it sounds like a piece is loose inside moving around. its making a lot of noise when idling and accelerating . also the check engine light is not on anymore.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Even if the light is not on I believe the code will still be there. I think they call it a stored code.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
cheapskate
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing