Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Tundra CM Limited... Well, my wife has it.
Today, I got a call: It wouldn't start, the starter continues to run after disengaging the key from the start position and she's generally stranded.

The truck started up fine 15 minutes later.

I go digging for the same issue and I find that there are a few people who have seen this happen (no solution posted), but there is a TSB on it.
See: http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/pub/pdf/TechCenterLibrary/TIS/T-SB-0078-09.pdf

So a few questions:
1) Is there an aftermarket scanner (think <$200) that will pull the Toyota specific non-ODB-II codes?

2) Is there a way to bypass the immobilizer? I see remote alarm installs.. And if I bypass, will this fix it or am I still providing a pairing the immobilizer that's going to fail?

The truck has 37k miles on it.. Literally went out of warranty this month. Ugh...

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The truck has 37k miles on it.. Literally went out of warranty this month. Ugh...
Murphy's Law prevails!!:eek::D

I believe that any scanner that supports CAN bus will work with the Tundra.
I don't have an answer for #2, but I don't think it's easy to do.

Did you check her key ring?? Another key with a chip in it can cause that!;)

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
The immobilizer is very difficult to bypass, by intent, of course.

Sometimes the key transmitter is damaged, I'd try the spare key or the valet key.

When installing a remote starter often the valet key will be attached behind the dashboard so that the truck will start without a transmitting key in the ignition. So that's a thought as well.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Make sure you do not have another "Chipped" key close to the ignition...it might be sending a signal that will not be recognized and cause you problems. Or, try another key as suggested.

You also said "the starter continues to run after disengaging the key from the start position" It is not necessary to hold the key in the Start position. Once you move they key to "Start" it will start the engine even if you let go of the key.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
What LeeinAZ said. Just flick the key to the start position and let go once it hits start. the engine cranks for up to 30 seconds until it turns over. Oh and the previous posters were correct, if you have any other piece of metal or chipped stuff on the keyring it could potentially interfere with the immobliizer's ability to see the correct key! ;)

Sanosuke!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No other chipped keys... I can ask her to try another key.
The truck eventually started, it's just a bummer at 37k miles this thing dies and there is a TSB...

·
Registered
215 Posts
if there is a tsb for the problem,toyota should have contacted you to inform that it existed,and it should still be covered even though you are out of warranty.its not your job or responsibility to know about any/all tsb's on your truck.i would leave the codes in there and call the dealer and see if they will help you out,the codes left in the ecu will verify that you had the problem if in fact the "no start" was due to the same problem the tsb describes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TSBs are different from safety recalls - although a TSB can be tied to a recall. Toyota has no obligation to inform owners of TSBs - as they may or may not impact every vehicle.

If you read the TSB, it indicates that it'll be covered under warranty until 36k.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts