Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe revealed

Nissan Sport: The magazine for Nissan, Datsun, Infiniti enthusiasts

[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]The appearance of the all-new Infiniti G37 Coupe, which arrives in dealer showrooms August 21, is a striking sight. Infiniti stylists seem to have taken their inspiration from nature in harnessing pure shapes that, at first glance, appear to be shaped by water, or perhaps wind. The front fenders flow inward and the hood line rises to a sensuous swell toward the middle. More tangible features, like the curving grille and “L”-shaped headlights, also seem to flow back from the front of the car. Infiniti has also ratcheted up its game around the wedge profile of the G; adding some muscular features to the rear haunches, and sweeping onto a spoiler-like rear end.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]Like the exterior styling, the interior of the G37 Coupe is rich in detail. Infiniti clearly wanted to make the driver interface more prominent, as interior panels have been molded and shaped to emphasize more of a cockpit atmosphere. Fine View gauges underline the refinement that has gone into providing clear and complete feedback to the driver. Touch points like the steering wheel, gearshift knob, buttons and switches show the depth of thought that went into their creation. Even small items, like the interior door trim and washi-paper-like aluminum trim that surrounds the cockpit, speak of deep refinement. Expect to see even more details of world-class workmanship on display in small touches throughout the cabin.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]One area that deserves the lion’s share of attention is the new 3.7-liter engine. The VQ37HR is the world’s first application of a Variable Valve Event and Lift (VVEL) technology engine. Simply put, the displacement was increased by increasing the stroke of the motor by 4.6 mm and raising the compression ratio to 11.0:1 (from 10.6.1). These steps are commonly used in racing applications, but the key for the G37 Coupe is doing it in a way that again preserves the refined nature of the car. Final horsepower numbers are estimated to be in excess of 330 hp.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]Utilizing a complex system of computer controls, Infiniti was able to vary the amount of both valve lift and duration on the intake stroke depending upon the rev range. This allows the VQ37HR the best of both worlds: at low piston speeds, the system acts to counter airflow by altering when the valves close, while lift and duration is enhanced to promote maximum airflow when the engine approaches the 7,500 rpm redline. Infiniti claims a 6 percent increase in low-end power, while a 4 percent increase in the high-end powerband (vs. the VQ35HR) has been achieved. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]Nissan and Infiniti fans will note that variable valve timing (VVT) and variable valve lift (VVL) have been used in several engine applications in the past. But VVEL is one bit of technology that only BMW has rivaled with its Valvetronic engine series. And since BMW is a direct competitor, Infiniti added some details to top the Bavarian automaker. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]The response time in switching from low speed to high speed is quicker due to Infiniti’s ballscrew-driven system versus a worm gear on the Valvetronic. This ballscrew acts to precisely control auxiliary shaft angle to continuously vary valve lift. Other advantages include more compact packaging of the multi-link mechanism and fewer moving parts. BMW uses twice the number of parts to keep the magic going--something to bear in mind down the road! One final note on VVEL technology is that it will improve fuel economy and CO2 output simultaneously. Once again, it’s quite a trick to increase output and miles per precious gallon while also bringing down the amount of greenhouse gases the engine produces! EPA fuel economy numbers and emissions testing results were not in at press time, but expect to see some very competitive numbers.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]Moving on to the next-generation FM platform, the G37 Coupe should outperform its predecessor (impressive as the G35 Coupe was) by a significant margin. Seeking to improve dynamic performance, Infiniti engineers lowered the center of gravity while widening the track width slightly. Combine that with a 36 percent increase in body stiffness and increased spring rates, sway bar size and suspension dampening, and the G37 Coupe promises to be a treat when you turn the wheel. One option for technology buffs is a four-wheel active-steering system (4WAS). The 4WAS adds a small amount of rear steering (up to 1 degree), modifying the steering ration to between 12:1 and 20:1. We expect the option to run in the $1,500 range.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]The new G37 Coupe also boasts some impressive brake features. While the Brembo brake option is no longer available, Infiniti instead offers new four-piston front calipers matched with two-piston rears. Both will be built of aluminum to offset the weight of massive 14” rotors up front and 13.8” rotors in the rear. The aim is to improve brake modulation (for those who dare to take their Gs to the track), fade resistance and overall stopping distance. Expect to see the latest ABS and vehicle dynamic control systems being calibrated for use with these brakes. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]Larger 18” wheels and tires will now be standard on the G37 Coupe with 19” wheels optional. Infiniti clearly intends to intrigue us with another combination of style, performance and technology in a well-crafted package. Nissan Sport looks forward to seeing how all the pieces fit when we test the 6MT rendition of the new G this summer!

MORE INFINITI G37 COUPE NEWS: We'll have a more complete analysis of the G37 in the Spring 2007 issue of Nissan Sport, including rumors of a hardtop convertible, a 500+ hp twin turbo version, and more (including news on the new and very hot Infiniti Crossover Concept coming to showrooms this fall as the EX). The issue mails to subscribers in late March and arrives in bookstores in early/mid April. NOTE: We have extended the ordering deadline to March 22.
[/FONT]

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am a diehard Toyota and Lexus fan, and almost purchased the 07 IS350 yesterday, but I live in a region with bad winter weather, and the "need" for awd is a priority. Granted, I can always drive my Tacoma when the white stuff flies, but knowing I have awd to help me in bad conditions should I be hours from home is worth peace of mind. Anyway....

The G35X is on my short list of cars. Unfortunately the nearest dealer, as of today, is 300 miles away. Lyle Pearson in Boise says they are going to be a full-service G dealer soon, but I ain't holding my breath. Back to topic: the G35X coupe (wish they had awd sedan) in 08 has what I wish the IS350 will have -- bigger hp to compensate for heavier awd system.

I'm on the fence and think the new Tacoma will suffice until Lexus comes out with an awd powerhouse 350.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As an owner of an IS350 who has been through two Canadian winters in Toronto, I can safely say that you should not have any problem driving in the winter with proper performance winter rubber. I run 18" low profile Pirelli winter tires in OEM sizes and have never had a problem in the winter.

If you must go AWD also add the Subaru Legacy GT Spec B to your short list.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As an owner of an IS350 who has been through two Canadian winters in Toronto, I can safely say that you should not have any problem driving in the winter with proper performance winter rubber. I run 18" low profile Pirelli winter tires in OEM sizes and have never had a problem in the winter.

If you must go AWD also add the Subaru Legacy GT Spec B to your short list.
I'd rather throw money out the window than get a Subaru. I've been in several newer models and did not like any of them save for the motor. Even the 07 civic si felt like a bentley compared to the $39000 Subie.

Your post on the 350 makes me want to get one tomorrow, but I think I'll hold out for something with a slightly larger backseat. Everyone in my family is over 5 ft, and I truly think you have to be under that to withstand any duration back there.

But the heavier/spendier awd would be nice for rain and slick conditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
not sure if i like it as much as the one that was at the auto show, but its not BAD none the less

i just hope the new one gets better MPG than the old one

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am a diehard Toyota and Lexus fan, and almost purchased the 07 IS350 yesterday, but I live in a region with bad winter weather, and the "need" for awd is a priority. Granted, I can always drive my Tacoma when the white stuff flies, but knowing I have awd to help me in bad conditions should I be hours from home is worth peace of mind. Anyway....

The G35X is on my short list of cars. Unfortunately the nearest dealer, as of today, is 300 miles away. Lyle Pearson in Boise says they are going to be a full-service G dealer soon, but I ain't holding my breath. Back to topic: the G35X coupe (wish they had awd sedan) in 08 has what I wish the IS350 will have -- bigger hp to compensate for heavier awd system.

I'm on the fence and think the new Tacoma will suffice until Lexus comes out with an awd powerhouse 350.
What do you wish it had? The new AWD Sedan is unblievably fast and handles like a dream..

Back on topic about the new coupe.. What a beautiful car.. I miss mine.. I had a 2003 Laser Red Coupe. :cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts