Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Sequoia replaced the tailgate with used one. Hooked everything up.
Power locks and window all work.

But the lift gate motor will not operate. It is located in the chassis so it was not part of the replacement.

Pressing the power open close button we can hear the audible confirmation tone but the liftgate motor will not operate..
It appears the liftgate motor is attached to the tailgate with just one push pull rod.

Any thoughts before we replace the motor? As it was working fine right up to the moment we took the old tailgate off

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Are you absolutely sure you plugged everything back in? Pinch sensors too? No terminals bent on any of the connections? If all those are good, might need to be re taught. Fully open the hatch, push the close button 3 times rapidly (the one on the hatch, not the one on the dash), then on the third hit, hold until you get a solid beep and see if the hatch closes on its own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for helping..

Just tried that. My auto body guy who I know and trust... Says they didn't do anything with the liftgate motor because it's on the truck chassis. They just reconnected all the power connections to the tailgate.

But you are correct I think it has to be retaught... I disconnected the battery let everything reset ..reconnected battery.. and when I did that all power to the tailgate stopped. (power lock and rear glass). Then I armed the vehicle and then disarmed.
And then everything on tailgate works again like normal. ( I've had four runners for 20 years and I played around with these before but I've never had a problem with a liftgate motor cuz they're not on the 4Runners that I had..)

Except the liftgate . Again it does give us the audible warning tone that the liftgate is going to be opened or closed.... but nothing.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Maybe you did it but didnt say, did you try pushing the close button 3 times then holding it for 5 seconds? Thats how they are initialized from the factory for some Toyota vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes.. The fix for this problem for the 2012 and newer models they talk about holding the liftgate button that's actually on the liftgate itself... I have a 2008 and the liftgate button is built onto the back of the car...

I tried touching the negative and positive battery cables together to refresh all the codes...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts