Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, I look on these forums a lot when I am in a pinch and find great results but I was unable to find exactly what I wanted with installing an overhead DVD. We recently got a 2008 Sequoia SR5 for my wife and we are replacing the stock stereo (no nav, no dvd) with a Pioneer AVH-1550NEX that I got from Crutchfield and I am putting in an Alpine overhead DVD that I picked up used. We have 3 kids and we make several 1-3 hours trips each month with kids. Here are the product links:

Pioneer - https://www.crutchfield.com/S-lUjglBi5iUb/p_130AV1550/Pioneer-AVH-1550NEX.html
Alpine DVD - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500PKGRSE3/Alpine-PKG-RSE3DVD.html

My questions are about the overhead dvd since I've done several stereos. I already have the parts and will hopefully install it this weekend or next week.

How did you go about cutting the headliner? Would a box knife do the job? I figured I would pencil in around the mounting bracket and make cuts.
Is wood necessary? The second link below has someone using plywood above the headliner.
Was there anything special about running AV wires through the pillar and lower paneling towards the dash? I plan to control the rear DVD from my stereo.
Will I be able to tap into the dome light wiring in order to give power to the unit? The first link below ends with this question and my biggest unknown.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finished the project. I tapped into the battery for the yellow and used a "fuse tap/add a circuit" for the ignition (red) wire and I used the 4WD fuse since my Sequoia is a 2WD. I was able ground it near the seatbelt. The last part was the trigger wire and it was the red/pink wire from the dome light.

The trickiest part was the Alpine system itself. The manual was incorrect on the wiring - it labels the top right cable as yellow for battery but it in fact is red (and is red on all pictures of replacement parts and for sale parts crutchfield and otherwise). I initially followed the manual - and had the yellow/red and green/black cables switched and didn't work immediately - but I got it all fixed up and works well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts