Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Tundra crew max 4x4 with 5.7 112000 miles.
Cranks fine when cold runs great no missing, no codes but when you get to operating temps and turn the engine off for 30min to 1 hour and try to crank it has to turn over for 5-8 sec to start and then runs fine

cranks fine if you crank it back after a few min and if you wait till engine cools back down it cranks fine
no problem starting when cold

replaced fuel pump
replaced fuel pressure regulator
cleaned TB
left the fuel cap off when trying to crank it warm still hard start (to make sure was not buildiing up presure)

help going broke trying to fix it dealer has no ideas and said called toyota for help also

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same problem. My local Toyota dealership told me that they think some or all of my fuel injectors are bleeding off the fuel pressure when the engine is shut off. Thus flooding the engine. Flooding would explain why its hard to start after 30 minutes after shut off, and starts normally after several hours.

Its discouraging to read that you've replaced the fuel pressure regulator with no positive results, because I was going to check the function of mine, hoping that it would be a 100 dollar fix instead of a 1500 dollar fix if the entire set of injectors have to be replaced.

ETA: If I stand next to the tail pipe while someone starts my truck after a 20-30 minute cool down I can smell unburned gas, which indicates to me that the engine is indeed flooded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For those of you trouble shooting hard start scenarios where the engine cranks a few extra turns or double the number of turns before firing, here is a crumb of a clue. The symptom is particularly noticeable after sitting in a warm garage overnight for about twelve hours and is less apparent in the cold. Following the expiration of Toyota Care on my 2012 Tundra 5.7L V8, I did the lube and tune interval work myself. The work entailed lubrication, filters and fluid replacement including component cleaning such as the MAF sensor using MAF cleaner. Component change intervals are longer on these modern vehicles since plugs and points endure or are obsolete.
The recommended aftermarket air filter from FRAM, EXTRA GUARD (CA10343), contributed to excessive starter wear at double the turns per engine start up before the engine fired. Replaced the air filter with Toyota stock 17801-0S010 and the engine fires right up on the fourth starter turn just like the day I bought the truck. Seriously!
The 2011 Toyota RAV4 2GR-FE parked in the other bay exhibited the same symptoms following a maintenance lube/tune last month and now has a stock air filter. Save some frustration and future money by sticking with the stock filters. Hope this helps and thanks to all who led me here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I’m experiencing the same issues. Truck starts normal when cold, but cranks long when hot and after sitting. Exhaust smells like raw fuel. Puffs a cloud of black smoke. I have scoured the internet and only found similar conditions without solutions. My truck is a 2008 Tundra with 318000 kms. For two years I have attempted to fix this issue. 3 trips to Toyota, 2 other mechanics and a long list of parts.
MAF sensor
Fuel pump
Fuel injectors
Battery
Air filter
Starter
Spark plugs
Fuel pressure regulator
Crankshaft position sensor
New chip key
Power steering sensor
Carbon canister
Throttle body
Fuel pump control module
Fuel cap

And I’m sure I have missed something

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,169 Posts
I have a 2008 Tundra crew max 4x4 with 5.7 112000 miles.
Cranks fine when cold runs great no missing, no codes but when you get to operating temps and turn the engine off for 30min to 1 hour and try to crank it has to turn over for 5-8 sec to start and then runs fine

cranks fine if you crank it back after a few min and if you wait till engine cools back down it cranks fine
no problem starting when cold

replaced fuel pump
replaced fuel pressure regulator
cleaned TB
left the fuel cap off when trying to crank it warm still hard start (to make sure was not buildiing up presure)

help going broke trying to fix it dealer has no ideas and said called toyota for help also

thanks

I had a similar problem with my 5.7 2007, it was the security chip in the key and the fuel pump. Both were replaced about 24 months and 16K miles ago, no problems since then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
Trident39
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing