Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Tundra 5.7L Code P033D Knock Sensor 4 Ckt High Bank 2, Traction & VSC Lights on

This is my 1st post, but it is a good Louisiana story! Started my truck after 5 days of sitting up and engine light, traction control (TC) light & vehicle stability control (VSC off) light were all on. I erased the code, but the P033D code came back immediately. I could not turn the VSC & TC light off with the manual buttons either. Looked under the hood and there were pecan peelings, acorns & rat tirds on top of my motor. It was a rat that chewed a hole through the insulation in front of the intake manifold and made a nest in the cavity under the intake manifold (where the knock sensors are). The rat also decided to use my knock sensor wire as insulation. I was under the truck looking for more chewed wires & me & the rat came face to face. He was on top of my transmission. So I took off in the truck to heat the motor up and drive the rat out so he wouldnt do further damage and discovered it would not shift into 5th or 6th gear automatically or manually either.
I wasnt in the mood to take the intake off myself due to time, so I ended up paying the dealership $530 ($400 labor to remove an intake....what a ripoff!!! Never again!). After replacing the short knock sensor wire from knock sensor to wiring harness & resetting codes, all problems were resolved. The VSC light, traction control light & shifting problems were all due to the knock sensor code to protect the motor from itself.
I could still smell the musky rat smell and rat piss. The next day I opened the drivers door and discovered the rat on the floorboard. I closed the door quickly and went get a leather gloove & a shovel. I could still see him through the window so I opened the door & reached in quickly and "caught him redhanded" & chopped his head off. Should have mounted his damn head on my dashboard as a reminder. Damn Rat!!!!
I later found that the rat had chewed a small hole through the rubber grommet (where the approx 1" diameter wiring harness penetrates the firewall on the passenger side by the A/C Evaporater) and was living in my cab.
Lesson learned...if your truck will sit up a while in the winter and there is a chance of rats from fields or anything, put a fake snake under the hood or rat poison if your not scared of them dying in your truck somewhere and stinking. Or get a cat. I was gonna put rat traps by the front tires if I hadnt caught him by hand. Hope this helps someone if they ever come across this problem.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Re: 2008 Tundra 5.7L Code P033D Knock Sensor 4 Ckt High Bank 2, Traction & VSC Lights

Sorry for your misfortune, glad you got everything fixed up again!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I guess rats love our knock sensor wiring, mine was chewed last week, and I had the same exact symptoms. My bill is $1350 to replace the wiring harness, engine cover, insulation, and hoses. Can't pick up my truck until the dealership gets a check from my insurance though... Glad you caught that little turd!

Does the fake snake trick actually work?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Re: 2008 Tundra 5.7L Code P033D Knock Sensor 4 Ckt High Bank 2, Traction & VSC Lights

A little trick I learned from my daughter (she is a pet groomer). If you put clumps of old dog hair around it smells fairly bad, but NOTHING will bother it.
We use it to keep the deer away from gardens.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Just got done fixing mine! Here's a copy/paste of what I posted on TT:

So I started up my truck the other morning and immediately got a CEL, VSC, and Traction lights. Drove it to work anyway and noticed that it wouldn't go into 5th or 6th gear. Pulled the codes and found P033D (Knock Sensor 4 Circuit High - Bank 2). Popped the hood and immediately noticed evidence that something decided to make a little home in my engine bay while I was out on Christmas vacation for 2 weeks. Acorns, piss, poop, and leaves were throughout the top of the engine bay, specifically the engine cover. Closer examination found the foam near the oil cap had been chewed through:

I decided to break the tools out to remove the intake manifold and see what kind of damage it had done. 45 minutes later and I was staring at this:

He made himself a nice little nest:

And for whatever reason, decided to chew through my right rear knock sensor wires and 1/2 of my right front:

Further investigation found that all 4 knock sensor wires share a single harness with a pigtail at the top of the back of the head. Unclipped it and found the part number on the harness (822190C020). Called a few Toyota dealership and found list price anywhere between $32-$40. I checked on-line at a local dealership that offers discounted on-line parts and found it for $25. Picked it up, got home, and had it all back together in about an hour. Cleared the code and everything has been running smoothly since.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Can anyone direct me to a 'how to video' to remove intake manifold and replace knock sensor? thanks, nellie

·
Registered
2 Posts

P032D code it tells me its the Knock 2 senor. Can anyone send me something on replacing the senor. what do i need to remove to get to the senor?

·
Registered
1 Posts

1st time posting... I believe you will be required to remove the entire manifold . That not an easy task unless you are qualified to do so...my problem surfaced on my 2012 crew man ... Check engine light came on as well as the slip indicator and a flashing 4L light. Took it to the dealer who ran the diagnostic tests. Results are as follows; P032D knock sensor 3 circuit high, P1604 stability malfunction, C1201Engine control system malfunction, P1604 low or high power supply voltage, C1247 stroke sensor... This Does not tell me which of the knock sensor it refers to., however I got advise and ordered from the dealer part no 89615-06010. Hope it's the right one. Question, all these codes are as a result of a knock sensor gone bad or possibly a wire eaten by a rat? I suspect it's a rat as he left a trail of mess on the engine cover and bit on a few of the rubbers... Welcome any thought on these readings....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

You can remove the piece of insulation in front of the intake manifold and see under the intake. 2 knock sensors are on top of block facing down. Wires coming up. You should be able to see if wires are chewed. If its a rat, insulation is probably chewed too. Dealer changed mine under comprehensive insurance. If not, I would have removed the intake manifold myself. Doesn't look too intimidating. Just torque it correctly and alternate the bolting sequence.... don't tighten bolts in a row.... And of course you will have to reset the codes to turn light off. Once the knock sensor with rat chewed wire was replaced, all transmission shifting went back to normal (wouldn't shift our of 1st or 2ndgear), limited slip lights stayed off, engine light stayed off. When computer thinks you have a true engine knock, it tries to protect the engine by limiting shifting to 1st or 2nd gear (cant remember which) and sets transmission code. I forgot why the limited slip light appears, but it is due to knock sensor also. Toyota dealer told me so and it went away after knock sensor was replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You will have to see where the wire is compromised. I don't remember if there is a wire coming from the sensor that would require the sensor to be replaced or just wires from the harness and the sensor wouldn't have to be replaced. It will become obvious once you remove the intake or possible you can see with a mirror or camera scope through the insulation

·
Registered
2 Posts

After camping a night in the desert, the next morning my 2008 Tundra with 5.7l engine had the Check Engine light illuminated, 4LO flashing, VSC Off flashing, and the icon for the vehicle with skid tracks illuminated. The diagnostic code was P032D, indicating a fault with Knock Sensor Bank 3. The truck ran fine but would not shift into 5th or 6th gear. Nonetheless, I was able to tow my trailer back to civilization before getting the problem fixed.

I had the sensor wiring checked and replaced professionally, but not by Toyota. The wiring to the sensor was severed, likely by a rat, mouse or squirrel. By replacing the short length of wiring harness that goes to all 4 knock sensors, all the fault indications disappeared and shifting of the automatic transmission returned to normal.

I was charged for 4.2 hours of labor to remove and reinstall the intake manifold and fix the problem, plus $35 for the wiring harness, and $21 for a new intake manifold gasket.

The real question in my mind is how to avoid a repeat of the problem. This is a common problem for Tundras - as I learned in discussing my problem with several shops operating in the vicinity of the deserts of SoCal. Ford is said to sell an electrical tape embedded with cayenne pepper which can be used to wrap the harness, to discourage vermin from munching the insulation on the wiring. That wasn't available, so we did the next best thing we could do - spray the new harness with pepper spray, from a personal protection device. However, the mechanics recommended a more lasting protection - tie wrapping clothes dryer sheets to the wiring at the back on the engine, where the vermin would enter the enclosed space below the intake manifold. I intend to do this immediately before taking the Tundra on any future camping trips. Cheap and easy - let's hope it works.

·
Registered
1 Posts

toyota of temecula, ca is trying to charge me $1300 to replace my knock sensor...

·
Registered
16 Posts

The local news had a guy on talking about this issue with his Honda over and over, I said " What's the changes of this happening ?"
3 Months before after camping my truck would not take 5 gear and went into safe mode, cleared itself after a few hours later and the same week of the news it started again.
Standard side show at the dealer " we cleared your codes and think your battery is going low " told them they were wrong and they had another quick look, one of their lead mechanics went looking with a bore-scope and found signs of rodents..
Looking at a 6 hour bill plus parts I tore into it...
45mins in I found this, even had some candy hauled in for a snack.
Wires were chewed on but fixed with heat shrink, gaskets were fine and 2 hours later it was fixed.

Only issue was the clips holding the wires at the back, once you figure these out it's easy..

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know the correct Ohms reading for a knock sensor on a 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7l..
I’m just wanting to check mine, before reasonably. I had the same codes took it apart myself in less than an hour, back right side a mouse nest and it chewed the wires right at the plug new harness and I’ll be all set! Would just like to be sure no damage was done to knock sensor...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts