Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone please help! My key locks in the ignition and I am unable to remove it 90% of the time when I shut off the engine. I have to turn the key back to the accessory position, shift out of park... sometimes several times... and back into park... to remove it. Yes, it's under warranty... I thought someone might know a quick fix if they've experienced this.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
It has happened to me if there was some torque on the steering wheel; I'd try to turn the steering wheel so the wheel lock disengages.

Failing that, it is probably the interlock switch from the gear shift; only the dealer can fix that.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
It has happened to me if there was some torque on the steering wheel; I'd try to turn the steering wheel so the wheel lock disengages.

Failing that, it is probably the interlock switch from the gear shift; only the dealer can fix that.
Those are the two most likely causes.:tu:
Mine will do the same thing if there is some pressure against the steering. Just a little tug on the steering wheel will release it.
There is also an interlock to the park switch so that the key cannot be removed if the trans is in gear.

·
Registered
859 Posts
My money is on the interlock switch being a little sticky. No spilled soda's or anything?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Think of the bright side. You'll never loose your keys again.....

Really though, take it to the dealer before you break it off inside and they refuse to warranty it..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts