Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I wire up my radio, I just wanted to make sure I was thinking correctly. I think I have almost all the wires from the radio figured out, but I'm not sure about two of them. One is the illumination wire. That one I figure I just connect to the illumination wire coming from the truck.
The other one is the reverse-gear signal input. I'm putting in a aftermarket back-up camera. I was just going to run the RCA and power wire from the camera to the front of the truck. I want to be able to use the camera any time and not just when in reverse, even though wiring it that way would seem a lot easier. I'm guessing I leave the reverse-gear signal input wire alone since I don't need to turn the camera on and off with it. Or will the radio not know the camera is on? And if I do need to wire it up, what do I wire it up to. It can't be the reverse signal from the truck because that would defeat the purpose of running the power wire all the way to the front.

Any input is appreciated and sorry for my incoherent thought process.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1)Illumination wire from the radio will go to the illumination wire of the factory harness. The wires "should" match.
2) If you want to have an anytime camera option, you'll need to connect the reverse sense wire from the head unit and the positive power wire of the camera to a switch. This will signal the head unit to switch to the camera and provide power to the camera. A simple rocker switch connected to a switched power source(cig. lighter) should be sufficient.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts