Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to tow a toyhauler with our 2008 Toyota Tundra, double cab, 5.7L v8 with towing package.

The trailers we're looking at are the fuzion 260 at 6560 dry weight and 1095 hitch.

And the jayco t26y at 6,940, and 1010 hitch.

We're packing about 1,200 pounds of stuff, and an additional 800 pounds of passengers in the truck.

With a good braking controller and WD hitch, either of these trailers should be towable safely right?

I might invest in helper springs or air bags to keep the truck level if needed.

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its good you are doing your homework now before you get the trailers. First piece of advice is to be leery of listening to anyone who says that you can pull these trailers without having first done the math or if they say they pull it so you can to. They (and you) might be able to pull it in a straight line on a flat road, but what about hills or mountains and, of course, stopping?

There are a number of calculators to help you do these calculation with more precision. Just make sure not to use dry weight. Here's one and here's another.

The problem with using dry weights is that none of us tows empty and everyone adds batteries, gas, etc.

Are you lookin at trailers that are on the dealer's lot now or are you ordering these trailers? If ordering, don't forget to add any options such as awning, oven, packages, etc. Most trailers will arrive on the dealers lot 300-500lbs heavier than their listed brochure dry weight. Regardless of ordering or buying off of the lot, additions such as batteries (60-120lbs), propane (60lbs), water (50-100lbs), WDH (100lbs) and whatever you and your dealer modify to the trailer. I would venture to guess that the fuzion will weight closer to 7,100 plus and the jayco will be 7,500lbs plus before you load up your cargo. Add in that 1,200lbs and your trailer weights become 8,300 and 8,700, respectively.

First issue I would need to answer before buying either of these is payload. At the weights given above, each of their tongue weights will be 1,000 and 1,050 at 12% of the trailer weight. If you put 800lbs into the truck plus whatever you put in the bed of the truck, than the cargo in the truck becomes about 1,800lbs plus. What is the payload cap of this truck?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Either of these trailers will require a 3/4 ton truck. The only 1/2 ton that might have the payload necessary to pull these is a F150 with the max payload package.

All 1/2 tons have the same issue, low payload capacity.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts