Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2008 Tundra 5.7L V8. Just started today, check engine light is on solid, traction control is on solid, and VSC OFF light is on flashing. The truck also will not shift into 5th or 6th gear. On highway speeds at 60mph and above it is sitting at 3500RPM. Seems fine driving at low in town speeds where it doesn’t need to shift past 4th gear. No weird sounds, Oil level seems fine.

Things we’ve already checked:
Gas cap is tight
Reverse fuse-lights are working
Disconnecting battery-lights immediately came back on

ideas of what it could be? We read on another forum maybe secondary air injection pump or wheel speed sensor?
edited to add the mileage is 183k

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Take it to your local auto supply store and ask them to read the codes. Most of them will do it free. The DTC codes will tell you what to look for.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
This is from the service manual:
P0983: SHIFT SOLENOID "D" CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH (SHIFT SOLENOID VALVE S4)
I would check with a local transmission shop to get an idea of how expensive it will be. You should also check all of the electrical connections to the transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is caused by a shift valve malfunction in the Valve body. replace it and you shouldnt have any further shift issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is caused by a shift valve malfunction in the Valve body. replace it and you shouldnt have any further shift issues.
Any idea on the cost of something like that? We have called a couple shops but we are from FL and are in TX for a few weeks for some military training and I can't seem to find anyone that can work on it to even get a quote yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This happened to me today. 2008 Sequoia. On the highway today and the four lights came on. Wouldn’t shift over 4th gear. Felt like it was in 4 wheel drive the whole time. Towed it to dealer. They said it was coding for a solenoid but 3 hrs later they are still checking it. The cat is mint except for this. Hope it’s not super expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the shop called this evening and said he believes it’s the solenoid. He quoted us $379. Seems like a simple and cheap fix. Hoping that is the case but not getting my hopes up just in case. Will update when we pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So the shop called this evening and said he believes it’s the solenoid. He quoted us $379. Seems like a simple and cheap fix. Hoping that is the case but not getting my hopes up just in case. Will update when we pick it up tomorrow.
I’m going to call the dealer right now and mention this. Your description sounds EXACTLY like what happened to me. Would love to know how it works out for you. Best of luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: The solenoid itself seems to have been the issue. Picked it up today and lights are off and it seems to be shifting normally. Shop charged $380...but obviously the trans fluid had to be changed so it was also like a trans service which it was probably due for anyway. That would have been 229 anyway so we’re happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
UPDATE: The solenoid itself seems to have been the issue. Picked it up today and lights are off and it seems to be shifting normally. Shop charged $380...but obviously the trans fluid had to be changed so it was also like a trans service which it was probably due for anyway. That would have been 229 anyway so we’re happy with the outcome.
I would not take for granted that they installed new fluid.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just a bit if FYI a lot of the solenoid shift codes I see are a result of a corroded transmission harness connector. The connector is external to the transmission and water can collect in it and corrode/burn out the pins. If you have any hard or slow shifting problems afterwards just do a drain and fill with genuine Toyota WS fluid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a bit if FYI a lot of the solenoid shift codes I see are a result of a corroded transmission harness connector. The connector is external to the transmission and water can collect in it and corrode/burn out the pins. If you have any hard or slow shifting problems afterwards just do a drain and fill with genuine Toyota WS fluid.
So is it possible that just a fluid change would have fixed it without replacing the solenoid?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Typically a circuit fault code is just that and changing the fluid will not fix it, you have to address the circuit fault.
If you didn't have any codes and it was having issues, topping off the fluid level and then a full fluid swap to fresh Toyota WS is what I would do and recommend first.

I have owned several different 05 and newer Toyotas with the 5 and 6 speed truck transmissions. On one of my 05 tundras, it started a weird shift into 2nd or third... can't remember with about 120k miles on it. It showed a transmission fluid change around 100k so I changed the fluid to fresh Toyota WS and the transmission was never smoother. Another would be my current favorite 4.7L, an 05 GX470, it was shifting really soft in all gears when I got it with 230k on the clock and a full pan drop and drain fixed the problem. More expensive, I just use the recommended fluid and have never had any more issues with any of them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So got my 2008 Sequoia back on Friday. $1600. Exact same issue as mentioned in beginning of this thread. Exact same. It was the solenoid. But the bolts were corroded and they snapped off so dealer bored them out and put in new ones. Also a new plug and new fluid. It runs great and feels strong. All 4 WD options are working fine. Not happy about the price but it’s done and working great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So got my 2008 Sequoia back on Friday. $1600. Exact same issue as mentioned in beginning of this thread. Exact same. It was the solenoid. But the bolts were corroded and they snapped off so dealer bored them out and put in new ones. Also a new plug and new fluid. It runs great and feels strong. All 4 WD options are working fine. Not happy about the price but it’s done and working great.
The bolts breaking can happen as i had half of mine break when removing them fortunately for me i am a tech and was able to remove or drill out the broken bolts for the repair. As for the $ amount they charged you it not sure how they came up with it, Happy your vehicle is running properly now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts