Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Falling into the category of what would you do....Pls excuse the long post.

I have a 2000 Tundra LTD 2WD that is closing in on 200,000 miles. Truck has been mechanically flawless since I've owned it. Some exterior bumps and dings in the bumper, and minor paint damage, and interior wear, but it's a good d*mn truck.

But I'm starting to get a tad nervous at the thought of something going boom on the highway one night. I do a lot of driving. Wife says get a late model used truck (good wife). And she wants me to get 4x4, since sometimes I have problems at low tide w/my boat (I blame this more on lack of limited slip on this model than needing 4x4...).

Downsides to getting a late-model (I don't like to buy new) Tundra DC are:
1) Cost -- I'm figuring roughly around $26k not counting what I coudl get for mine (not much -- $4-5k?).
2) Fuel mileage -- 17 around town, depending on motor and drive?
3) PITA factor of a truck. Mostly I like riding high, and the big motor, but it's also a pain, and terrible in the snow we occasionally get, and parking spot hassles....The new Tundras are bigger than my 2000, as well.

The truth is, except for, say, 3 x a month, I don' t 'need' a truck. But when I do, I do, so I have to have one, and it's my daily driver.

The upsides:
1) no ramp/towing issues
2) a back-seat area that's actually useable
3) peace of mind over mechanical worry

So I'm on the fence. I looked briefly at the Tacoma DC, but that's almost as expensive, and the 4x4 gets no better gas mileage, I don't think.

I've thought about another (better?) option -- *keep* my current Tundra, and park it and use it only for the occasional tow/haul job. I could load the bed with gravel bags, to cure the ramp slipping issue.
Then, get a late model 4-cylinder Civic, or something similar. Initial cost would be more like $15k instead of $22k (new truck-current truck), and I'd save at least $1500 year in gas which would offset the extra cost of property tax, license and insurance for 3 vehicles instead of 2.

Wife hates the idea, though, 'cause she worries that my current Tundra will develop problems if it's not driven often (say 2x month on average), plus there's the shell game with 3 cars in a suburban neighborhood, which IS a pita, I admit.

But financially, anyway -- seems I come out a lot farther ahead keeping this truck and getting an econocar for my every day driving, no? What danger is there really at only driving my current truck infrequently?

Thx!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I didn't read the whole post cause it's kinda long but why not keep the truck that you have and buy a civic. You could drive the truck the "3 times a month" that you need a truck.

Edit: I scanned the rest of your thread and I see where that was one of your options so that is my vote.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
and dont expect 17 in the city.....u'll be one of those posting about poor gas mileage. most honest people with city only driving will average 14 or 15. i also dont really see 4-5 for a 10 year old 200k mile truck. im sure someone out there would pay that but to me thats at most a 3500 dollar truck with those miles.

also, why 09/10 tundra? it came out in 07? lots of 07/08s around here in the double cab variety with 40k or so miles with decent equipment for 20k and less...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would absolutely vote for the small daily driver and keep the current truck. I did that with my 99 Tacoma and have done it again now that I have a Tundra DC. That works for me on many levels. As far as using the truck, you can drive it as often as you feel the need. Keep in mind you will eventually want to upgrade that truck though. My .02.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I vote get a civic or whatever and keep the 2000 Tundra. I love my Tundra but the gas mileage sucks. Thats why I have a motorcycle.. :D 50 mpg on my Sportster is awesome. when the winter comes in Alabama I will be getting a beater 4 cylinder though.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Going off what you stated as your need for a truck is very minimal, I would say get the civic and keep your tundra. No sense in driving a gas guzzler everyday when you only "need" it a few days a month. The 2nd gen tundras with the 5.7 are fun to drive everyday tho. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx all -- if I *did* get another Tundra, I'd want the balance of some factory bumper-to-bumper. Actually, that will be with any car. There are things that you only discover after a couple thousand miles of driving, and why not get 'em fixed...

I can see a 2nd generation being fun to drive, for sure, but I"m still edging towards a two vehicle solution making the most sense. The only place this scenario goes to hell is if the Tundra needs serious work, or starts bleeding me in repair costs. Do you think -- with a good battery -- there's any reason only driving it a weekend a month on average would cause harm? Outdoor temperature range typically from 30-100 degrees, F.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ill throw an option into the mix if you wanted to do a two car solution...

It all depends on what your wife does for a living or how much she drives...If it's worth it, maybe get her the 2nd Gen Tundra and you drive her car or the civic to and from work and use her Tundra the three times per month when you need it or just whenever you feel like it!

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
get the civic, and save yourself the headache of worrying about mpg on the 2nd gen tundra. keep the old tundra till it cant drive anymore. only make sense if your trying to save money. good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
... ^^^ ... What he said ... and ...

FWIW ... we have a Honda Civic and a Honda Fit Sport in the family and almost everyone likes driving the Honda Fit better.

Drive both of them before you decide. I have driven both and the Honda Fit is more fun to drive.

Like any small car ... don't hit in it.

I vote ... keep the 2000 Tundra and get a Honda Fit (or a Civic).

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I vote get the small car as well as it seems like its what you want / need anyway.

I, however, love driving my truck and have to make a serious effort to drive the car. My latest scheme is parking the truck in the garage and the car in the driveway in front of it. That forces me to drive it more than I would.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Like most, I will say buy Civic & keep the 2000 for the times you need it. OR get the Tacoma DC used & get better gas mpg than your used to & enjoy your ride daily. You should get 20mpg hwy in that climate (this is what I got) vs 15 mpg with the enjoyable beast to drive Tundra. But if your doing city driving, the tacoma will drop to 16 but is still better than the 2000. So if you need to save $ on your current setup, go civic. If not & can afford the payment, go Tacoma.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go for the commuter car and keep your tundra. I have an '07 4x4 limited and bought a '94 corolla as a commuter car. Best decision ever. Have not had a problem with the '94 since I bought it. The truck is a different story, but it is not because it has been sitting around. Anyway, go with the car is what I say.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
get the civic, and save yourself the headache of worrying about mpg on the 2nd gen tundra. keep the old tundra till it cant drive anymore. only make sense if your trying to save money. good luck on your decision.
It does. Only time I'm screwed, is if something catastrophic happens to the Tundra, in which case I have to somehow find a used truck I can trust. But I think I can get years of service out of my 2000, still.

Looked at a few smaller cars today. 2007-2009 Mazda 3's and Civics seem to be the nicest, though d*mn they're small after a truck. I like the Subaru Impreza, but the cabin seems very tight, and I'm concerned about mileage in the AWD. Did not look at the Fit -- looks just too tiny.

I'll take a look at the Tacoma DC before pulling the trigger. If the 2WD can handle a ramp reasonably, and get an honest 20MPG in every day driving (mixed suburban/hwy/flat) it would be attractive. The Tacomas have sure been eating, since I last looked at trucks!!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If the problem of merely your feeling nervous at 200k, perhaps you could have a mechanic friend go over the truck and give you a seal of approval (and perhaps change some worn out parts). Tundra trucks are durable. It seems to make financial sense to stick with the one you got when you need it so infrequently. But then again, not all of our decisions are rational, and attraction of a newer truck is addictive more you think about it.

I think either way, you can't lose. Yeah, a Tacoma is a feasible option (assuming you don't have to pull too much). Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Let me go the opposite way. I say get the new tundra. It should be more reliable than two aging cars that may need repairs. How many miles are you driving? Are you going to pay cash for the old civic? Are you in financial ruin? If your not in sales and driving a bunch, going to make a payment anyway and you have your finances under control then truck it. I just think life is too short and you might as well enjoy yourself. I too have an aging tundra with 217k on it, will replace with another one when the time comes. Goodluck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts