Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I took the + battery off to check some wires for alarm install and reconnected them back. Now the truck would not start. I have power for other stuff. I am thinking there is some thing which needs to be reset? I asked 3 dealers in the area and they are not aware of this. They say to get it in there for them to look at. I may have to have it towed it in...
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
I hope this is a help. I'm assuming when you say "will not start" the engine turns over but won't engage? If that's the case, at least one possible culprit would be the engine immobilizer. As you may already know, the key has a transponder in it, and there's a receiver either in or near the engine control module which needs to get that signal to allow fuel to flow. So before towing, at the very least, I'd try to start it with each key I have. I've heard of the key transponder failing to be recognized by the ECU, while the other keys still work.

Obviously you need to look if any other wires got disconnected while you were installing your alarm system, go through the fuses, etc. as there are a number of ancillary electrical doo-dads that have to be working in order for the truck to start. I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

If it is a problem with the computer, something that you didn't cause (for example short out a circuit or leave a wire disconnected) Toyota should pay for the towing as well as the repair. But if it was you, you get to pay for it all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts