Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have been following these forums for years and found answers to my most of my Toyota problems here. I have had a 03 Sequoia for years which served us well. We just sold it and bought an 09 Sequoia SR5 with 198K miles from its original owner. Its 4.7L engine. I know the miles are high but it has been serviced by Toyota from day one and the owner provided all the records and its a Toyota after all lol. They truck drives like a charm but I have noticed a minor "transmission shudder" (the notorious rumble strip feeling) at lower RPM. It is very minute and barely noticeable but it bugs me. I have spoken to my mechanic at Toyota and to a well reputed transmission shop without taking the truck in and this is what they are suggesting:

Transmission Shop:
They asked me to bring the truck in and they will perform a transmission service, dropping the pan cover, changing all the fluids and believe that it will fix the issues. They said its possibly the Torque Converter. They are not guaranteeing that it will fix the problem though but are saying that there is a very good chance that it should take care of it.

Toyota Mechanic:
He said its more than likely the Torque Converter and that performing Transmission Service and changing fluids won't fix the problem. He advised to don't touch it right now and if it gets worse then look at changing the Torque Converter as its big $$$.

What do you people recommend?? Anyone had similar issue? Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello all, I have been following these forums for years and found answers to my most of my Toyota problems here. I have had a 03 Sequoia for years which served us well. We just sold it and bought an 09 Sequoia SR5 with 198K miles from its original owner. Its 4.7L engine. I know the miles are high but it has been serviced by Toyota from day one and the owner provided all the records and its a Toyota after all lol. They truck drives like a charm but I have noticed a minor "transmission shudder" (the notorious rumble strip feeling) at lower RPM. It is very minute and barely noticeable but it bugs me. I have spoken to my mechanic at Toyota and to a well reputed transmission shop without taking the truck in and this is what they are suggesting:

Transmission Shop:
They asked me to bring the truck in and they will perform a transmission service, dropping the pan cover, changing all the fluids and believe that it will fix the issues. They said its possibly the Torque Converter. They are not guaranteeing that it will fix the problem though but are saying that there is a very good chance that it should take care of it.

Toyota Mechanic:
He said its more than likely the Torque Converter and that performing Transmission Service and changing fluids won't fix the problem. He advised to don't touch it right now and if it gets worse then look at changing the Torque Converter as its big $$$.

What do you people recommend?? Anyone had similar issue? Any advice is much appreciated.
The Toyota mechanic is basically telling you to wait till it gets to a point of no return and then spend big money. I'd go with the trans shop recommendation. I'm assuming he's replacing the filter if he's dropping the pan. Make sure they use genuine Toyota WS fluid and not a catch all synthetic. Before I did anything I'd check the records for any transmission services. Most people don't think about servicing their trans. Toyota calls it a lifetime fluid which means it will last the lifetime of their warranties. If it had not been serviced in the past it could start to slip about a week after the service. If it does then change the filter and flush the fluid again and it should solve the slipping issue. If that doesn't solve the issue then the miles had caught up the the trans and you will spend big $$$.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts