Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ,So I buy a 16023A and have it installed by the local NAPA shop.Everything works fine for about a month.I am only running a couple of fans of a battery in the back of the truck.I spend the night at a motel,and the battery runs all the way down.I start the truck in the AM...but forgot to turn the fans off.The warning lights start flashing ,AC,goes down and the alternator quits.I jumped it off three times to get it to the dealership,where they told me I fried the alternator,which they replaced in warrantee.(truck is three months old) I go to pick it up and it still does not work ! They bring it in the shop and replace a fuse....and it works fine now without the isolator hooked up.They told me to never hook the isolator up again,as it would not be covered again.I had the first (2000) Tundra and used an isolator for 9 years with no probs.......ya'll recon it just blew the alternator fuse because I failed to turn the fans off before starting the truck? Should I hook the isolator back up? Thanks....

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
What is an isolator, and what does it do?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sounds to me like you might need a solenoid type isolator that you can control with a switch to prevent the overload condition on your alt... it probably saw that dead battery as a 100% load and that's what fried the alt.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Screw Toyota, Run what you want to run off of it. If they give you hell about it, tell them to review the laws. But I don't believe it would fry a alternator, It really couldn't. I agree that it was most likely a fuse, due to overload. It TAKES a LOT of voltage and amperage to fry a alternator, Say a lightning strike...

·
Registered
91 Posts
go get a PAC-200 it's what we use at the shop when isolating it from the main battery, the isolator only turns on when the trucks accessory is turn on, so it'll be seperated from your main battery, so no starting problems in the future. www.pac-audio.com make sure you get the right fuse holders, and fuses, and try to run at least a 2 gauge power wire

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really think they replaced a good alternator......and then when it didnt work...they checked the fuse.Replaced the fuse....and everything OK.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Screw Toyota, Run what you want to run off of it. If they give you hell about it, tell them to review the laws. But I don't believe it would fry a alternator, It really couldn't. I agree that it was most likely a fuse, due to overload. It TAKES a LOT of voltage and amperage to fry a alternator, Say a lightning strike...
You can say "Screw Toyota" all you want but in the real world, the truck was modified from intended design. Technically a bad isolator can cause a alternator to fry out the internal voltage regulator from being run constant trying to charge what it thinks is a dead battery.

The dealer did him a favor by covering it under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it was nice of them to replace the alt.......but ......seems that they would check the fuse before doing that......because the fuse was blown which caused the new alt not to work also.They troubleshot it backwards.Anyway I need to find the best way to run three 5 amp fans for my dogs without hooking up a battery charger every day to the spare battery.....I used an isolator on my 2000 tundra for nine years with no problems,and never had to externally charge the spare battery for the same fans.

·
Banned
444 Posts
The dealer did him a favor by covering it under warranty.

They had no choice really,they have to prove without a doubt that's what caused the problem.

My trucks in the shop now, I broke the ring gear, Was it a design flaw..No... It wasn't designed for mickey Thompson, They know I had been "Abusing" my truck. But they cant prove it so it has to be warrantied. This applies To all parts.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
They had no choice really,they have to prove without a doubt that's what caused the problem.

My trucks in the shop now, I broke the ring gear, Was it a design flaw..No... It wasn't designed for mickey Thompson, They know I had been "Abusing" my truck. But they cant prove it so it has to be warrantied. This applies To all parts.
They had a choice, just is that your particular dealer chooses to roll over and give you the warranty claim. Bet a couple of case of beer that if they pushed back and you went to arbitration, you would have lost.

Real classy to also admit you broke your truck but is allowing Toyota to pick the dime up on that. Some would call that theft.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't really see how he is abusing it... he had an isolator properly installed and it happened to pop a fuse. He took it in for warranty work and they said "this is broken, we'll cover it" and he said "ok". That is a far cry from theft.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Real classy to also admit you broke your truck but is allowing Toyota to pick the dime up on that. Some would call that theft.

They should have made a better part. I spend six months and thousands of dollars fixing what Toyota couldn't on my truck that was their faulty equipment. I didn't charge them. Its a give take relationship.

He took it in for warranty work and they said "this is broken, we'll cover it" and he said "ok". That is a far cry from theft.
Well said.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I don't really see how he is abusing it... he had an isolator properly installed and it happened to pop a fuse. He took it in for warranty work and they said "this is broken, we'll cover it" and he said "ok". That is a far cry from theft.

Must have missed reading his post of his broken ring gear?

.........They know I had been "Abusing" my truck..........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure they realized they jumped to conclusions when they installed a 800.00 alt....and it wouldnt work until they put in a 2.00 fuse.............anyway,I'm just trying to figure out a way to charge the fan battery without putting a battery charger on it every night.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
A faulty diode in the isolator can very well cause the alternator to cook if the charge voltage sensing is done from an improper location. Diode isolators aren't suitable for all types of charging systems - solenoid style isolators are still the safest type for ECM controlled charging systems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts