Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned a 2008 5.7L Crewmax Limited TRD 4x4 (my dream truck!). I sold it earlier this year for financial reasons, but I am back in the saddle and ready to get another Tundra. I have read several reviews of the new 4.6 V8 option and was curious about how it performs with a 3" Leveling Kit and bigger tires (i.e. 305x18x65 BFG AT's). I had these when I had my 08 5.7L and averaged around 12mpg (with a Volant CAI).

I don't haul on a regular basis, but will haul on occasion either bass boats, duck hunting boats and/or flatbed trailer with a few 4-wheelers (which happens mainly in hunting season). Other than that, it is a daily driver with mixed miles and the weekend hunter/fisherman!

Anyone have any mods to their 4.6 V8 Tundra, similar to what I had????

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
first of all since u had a 5.7 you will regeret having anything less IMO. so why not just the the 5.7 again? the 4.6 is stronger than my 4.7 and i have a 3 inch lift and slightly larger tires (33.1's - 275-70-18's) and avg around 14.5...didnt notice any change either in gas mileage or performance.....the bigger tire might do it though....but anyway, just get the 5.7 since u are shopping....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first of all since u had a 5.7 you will regeret having anything less IMO. so why not just the the 5.7 again? the 4.6 is stronger than my 4.7 and i have a 3 inch lift and slightly larger tires (33.1's - 275-70-18's) and avg around 14.5...didnt notice any change either in gas mileage or performance.....the bigger tire might do it though....but anyway, just get the 5.7 since u are shopping....
I will more than likely end up with the 5.7L (as my soon to be wife wants to get a 5th wheel camper), but curiosity killed my cat to see if the performance and ROI was worth the 4.6L. I have seen comments on here where people save $1200 getting the 4.6L and will save money at the gas pumps, but in turn if you get the 5.7L you will get $1200 more trade in value. I guess it's six in one and a half a dozen of the other!!!!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
u wont save any at the pumps. and yes you will save on purchase but take the it on resale/trade. if i were doing it over agian i'd certainly do a 5.7 over my 4.7 but i am not doing it over so im stuck haha

·
Registered
420 Posts
Can you get a CM 4X4 with the 4.6L? I know in the northeast you can only get the 5.7L.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I agree with Barney - once you go 5.7L you can't go back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with Barney - once you go 5.7L you can't go back.
Yeah it would be hard to take a step back, already having 1st hand experience with the big daddy! Thanks guys! When the time comes, I will be going with the 5.7L Crewmax TRD 4x4 with mods to follow!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go with the 5.7. I have the 4.6 nd it is an amazing motor. It does everything i need it to do and more. Reguardless of what all of the 5.7 guys say it will save you money at the pumps, but i dont think that the savings is worth it. I'm not at all unhappy with this engine, but if i was doing it again i'd take the extra power and sacrifice the extra 2-3 MPG. Not to mention that the aftermarket community hasnt caught up to the 4.6 yet so you have alot more upgrade options with the 5.7.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I have seen comments on here where people save $1200 getting the 4.6L and will save money at the gas pumps
For what you're doing (towing, lift, tires, etc)...probably won't save anything at the gas pump :) Get the 5.7.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For what you're doing (towing, lift, tires, etc)...probably won't save anything at the gas pump :) Get the 5.7.
You are absolutely right...if I am going to have a killer 4x4 truck, I need to have plenty of ponies under the hood to back it up!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
You are absolutely right...if I am going to have a killer 4x4 truck, I need to have plenty of ponies under the hood to back it up!!!!
:tu: :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Go with the 5.7. I have the 4.6 nd it is an amazing motor. It does everything i need it to do and more. Reguardless of what all of the 5.7 guys say it will save you money at the pumps, but i dont think that the savings is worth it. I'm not at all unhappy with this engine, but if i was doing it again i'd take the extra power and sacrifice the extra 2-3 MPG. Not to mention that the aftermarket community hasnt caught up to the 4.6 yet so you have alot more upgrade options with the 5.7.
I have the 4.6 liter 4x4 also. I have a similair set up to the OP's. Like Ksco5dc says.. it is a very good motor. Smooth as silk and peforms well in almost any circumstance you would normally get into with this vehicle.

If I could do it again I would get the 5.7 liter. You will pay at least $1200 more and will take a small hit at the pump but hey.. if your gettin a $35 to $40k truckyou may as well go with the motor that will perform great in any circumstance.

There are complications with getting the 4.6 liter and getting bigger wheels and tires. You will say bye bye to 6th gear when traveling over 65 mph with cruise control on and the engine struggles to maintain 75+ without constantly downshifting regardless of using cruise contro or not.

For a 4x2 truck that isnt going to be hauling heavy stuff the 4.6 is the motor to have. The 4.6 liter shines in the lighter truck and really shows a fuel economy improvement over the 5.7.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got the 4.6L engine and love it. This is my first full sized truck and obviously my first V8 engine. It does everything I need it to do and has a great ride. I know that everyone says it's just a $1200 upgrade for the 5.7L but I've mention this on another forum - what dealer do you know of has ONLY the $1200 upgraded engine? Where I got mine, if I wanted the 5.7L I would have had to shell out another $5K...I just couldn't do it right now. I'm happy with my 4.6L, but of course I would love to have the 5.7L. But the next truck I buy will be a Tundra with a diesel. Hopefully one day that will happen!

·
Registered
25 Posts
By the way, I just ordered my new wheels and tires. 18x9 XD Hoss' and 295/70R18 Nitto Trail Grapps. Also ordering 3/1.5 level kit soon. Hopefully the tires wont suck away TOO much power.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If use your truck as daily driver and haul / tow occasionally, 4.6L is the way to go. I only paid 27.5K for a DC, 4x4 w/ tow package. With all the incentives offered earlier this year, I upgraded from a T-100.

WRT gas mileage, I do 19-20 mpg combined. I drive 65-70 on the freeway and avoid stomping on the pedal. With the 4:10 ratio, it pulls very decently to speed.

I run stock for now. However, I do have an Extang Tri Fold cover over the bed. I know this helps a little.

WRT tires, I run the stock tire and wheels in the Summer and will swith to BF Goodrich All Terrains in the Winter. For that, I am shopping for 17" wheels.

With all the argument regarding mpg's, 2-3 miles may not seem much but when gas prices go up... it sure adds up.

Thanks,
HIPPO
:angel:

BTW, anyone out there have any good leads on TRD wheels (17") for our trucks?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Once again, doubt you can even get a CM 4X4 with the 4.6 so it probably is not even worth discussing.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I got an SR5 4X2 CREWMAX WITH tow package AND LIQUICELL LEATHER from factory.

You don't have to spend 4-5,000 extra unless you want a platinum.

If you didn't want more electronics like nav, but did want truck features like more juice under the hood and tow then look at that type of truck. I don't tow at all but just like my last truck that I had for 9 years, the one time I used it to haul a u haul it was worth it.

I am the guy who could have done fine with the 4.7L at the time, but when I drove the 5.7 I never even considered the 4.7 after that.

Drive the 4.6 and 5.7 and see if you can live with it.

If I had to buy a truck today it would be a black tundra grade with tow package and just add leather to it if dealer wanted too much.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Has anyone used Ready Lift(or any type of suspension mod) with their trucks? If you have, did you install the front (2.4") and rear (1") or just the front? I'd like to hear from other folks and their experience.

Thanks in advance,:ts:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another happy 4.6er here. I tell ya what, I'm getting as much as 22mpg on highways (no b.s.) and a total combined mileage of appx 18.5mpg. I have ZERO complaints with the power produced. I understand the arguement between the big guy and the 4.6 but I rarely tow and when i do, its a couple of quads and I barely know they're back there. Btw. Got 3 friends with a 5.7. Before I bought mine I asked them about mpg. 2 of 3 said around 9mpg city and 14.5 hiwghay. The other was only a lil bit better at 12 and 16. And they were STOCK!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts