Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I usually spend my time over on the 2nd Gen Tundra forum, but last night my wife and I purchaced a 2010 4Runner. Just thought I would introduce myself over on this forum and post a picture. I only have one picture here right now. I will try to add some more pictures today or tomorrow. It is Pearl White with tan leather interior, heated seats, upgraded stereo with bluetooth, and sunroof. I should also mention that it is 2wd, it is the wife's and she won't need it. Haven't had it long enough to make too many comments about it. I will come back to this thread later to update our review. It sure is good looking though.

Thanks for looking.
Eric

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nice vehicle. Toy's in white look good. Looking forward to the update.

While I personally don't care for the 2010 due the the V8 deletion, among other things, I'm open-minded about it just the same. Let us know how the bluetooth and other features work for ya. I'm most interested in the road noise, the window control location, MPG, likes and dislikes.

My 2003 4Runner is as dependable as can be, but I have a few dislikes too, mostly the road noise. Anyway, good luck and I hope you both enjoy the 4Runner.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I was concerned about the v8 deletion also, and let me tell you this thing isn't going to win any races. It's my wife's vehicle so I drove it for the first time yesterday. It does not have a lot of power to me anyway but my wife said it isn't underpowered. It drives good and I haven't noticed any road noise but then look what I drive in my signature.

The bluetooth works great for the phone part, but the streaming music via iphone has been choppy. My wife's phone was nearing the end of its battery life so that could have affected it. There is a usb and outlet in the glovebox so that could be a remedy for someone if streaming music isn't great.

I like when you hit unlock on the remote it still only beeps twice. I also like that is has puddle light and blinkers built into the side mirrors.... just hope I never have to replace one!! Window control location is weird!! I guess It will take some getting used to. II'm not sure what they were thinking.

What sold us on it is how nice the interior is. We got the SR5 with lots of options leather being one. The steering wheel and console cover are wrapped in leather. The panels on the doors are sewn leather. I feel like they did a great job of giving the interior a quality feel. The tan leather looks great!

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I really will try to get more pictures posted but my wife has been working a lot lately.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My folks have 6 cyl 4 runner, 4th generation and it has plenty get up and go. Unless this 5th generation IS a much heavier vehicle a 6 cyl has plenty of juice if no towing is involved.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Congrats!

I always want another 4Runner... we had one before... 1999 4Runner Sport.

Maybe one day I will get one... but just got a 2010 Highlander for the wife. Very quiet compare to the tundra... LOL.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My folks have 6 cyl 4 runner, 4th generation and it has plenty get up and go. Unless this 5th generation IS a much heavier vehicle a 6 cyl has plenty of juice if no towing is involved.
Maybe I am used to driving my 5.7l and my wife is used to her v6 camry but to us it could definitly use more power. I have only driven it once and it was on our way home from the hospital after my son got tubes. So, i haven't had a chance to really get on it yet. More to come...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
this tweaked 4.0 has more power but when i drove it, i felt as if they gave up low end torque for high end power. we'll have to wait and see if toyota decides to put the 4.6 in it.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it has this econo light or something that lets you know when your driving is saving gas right. It almost feels like they made it so that you have to really push down on the accelerator to get the engine to respond. I don't really know how to explain it but maybe they made it this way to be more mpg friendly. I drove it to Dallas about a three hour drive, and feel as though it does have plenty of power. It just seems weird to me that you have to push down on the accelerator so much to get it to respond.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Congrats Maylon. I would like to have the new 4Runner in 4x4, I think. I also am curious if Toyota is going to make some engine changes for a little better acceleration; but, like you said, they are trying to save gas milage and I don't know if they can do both? Any way, the suv looks great and I know the wifey will love it. Hey, maybe you could get a s/c for it??????? To help out merging into traffic of course.:D

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats Maylon. I would like to have the new 4Runner in 4x4, I think. I also am curious if Toyota is going to make some engine changes for a little better acceleration; but, like you said, they are trying to save gas milage and I don't know if they can do both? Any way, the suv looks great and I know the wifey will love it. Hey, maybe you could get a s/c for it??????? To help out merging into traffic of course.:D
In my dreams! Thanks though, 4x4 would have been great but we were already stretching how much we really wanted to spend. I doubt they will offer any other engine configs but it would be nice to get the 4.6l in it. I would have definitly gotten the v8 had it been offered. The acceleration does leave a lot to be desired. Other than one 3 hour trip to Dallas I haven't really been in it too much. I really like it, but that white is always dirty!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
After having a double cab 2007 5.7 Tundra for a few years and moving from that to the 2010 4Runner it certainly lacks that punch that the Tundra had....with that in mind nothing else really compares to what that truck had though...what i will say is that the ride is much more comfortable and if you open up the truck past the 4,000 rpm range you will get some pick up. The upgraded 4.0 has the extra power to equal the old 4.7 V8 but lacks the torque. It seems like it really takes off tho after you hit about 4,000 rpms...Overall ive had mine since November 09 and have 9500 miles on it now...just got back from West Virginia from a cabin camping trip and the vehicle was so nice on the drive down and back. I never coulda sat in there for all that time in Tundra without getting out numerous times to stretch. Overall i love the choice i made to go with the 4Runner...do i miss the Tundra? Heck Yea!...but for offroad use and ride comfort and the features i really dont think you can go wrong with the 4Runner! Just my 2 Cents!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
My Honda Pilot had the same econo system / light. If you hit the sweet spot (which could be 70+ mph on open road), it would automatically switch over to 3 out of 6 cyls. I never felt a difference in the power when it did that.

Congrats on the SUV.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Honda Pilot had the same econo system / light. If you hit the sweet spot (which could be 70+ mph on open road), it would automatically switch over to 3 out of 6 cyls. I never felt a difference in the power when it did that.

Congrats on the SUV.
Been a while since I checked this thread I guess... Thanks man, we really like it so far and it fits our family better than the '07 Camry did.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After having a double cab 2007 5.7 Tundra for a few years and moving from that to the 2010 4Runner it certainly lacks that punch that the Tundra had....with that in mind nothing else really compares to what that truck had though...what i will say is that the ride is much more comfortable and if you open up the truck past the 4,000 rpm range you will get some pick up. The upgraded 4.0 has the extra power to equal the old 4.7 V8 but lacks the torque. It seems like it really takes off tho after you hit about 4,000 rpms...Overall ive had mine since November 09 and have 9500 miles on it now...just got back from West Virginia from a cabin camping trip and the vehicle was so nice on the drive down and back. I never coulda sat in there for all that time in Tundra without getting out numerous times to stretch. Overall i love the choice i made to go with the 4Runner...do i miss the Tundra? Heck Yea!...but for offroad use and ride comfort and the features i really dont think you can go wrong with the 4Runner! Just my 2 Cents!
I would definitly agree that there is a lot more power when you get up in the rpm range a bit. However, I think that the Tundra is just as comfortble if not more. We really enjoy all the room in the Crew Max too. Hope you and I continue to enjoy the 4Runners!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Bought a 2010 Trail Edition in Mag Grey today. Put about 100 miles on it today as we cruised over to Bass Pro to buy some arrows for myself and my sons.

They like the ride on this over the Crew Max because of no bed bounce. Damn So Cal rumble strips.

·
Registered
389 Posts
We picked one up the other day for the Mrs. Traded in a FJ cruiser. Got the 4X4 4.0L V6 and I'm very happy with the passing power climbing i70 in Colorado. Was much better than the Highlander and better than the FJ. Not quite my 5.7L Tundra but ample enough power for just about anything. It's our third 4Runner, had gen 3, 4 and now 5 and so far it's my favorite in terms of road noise and interior room comfort. In fact it's the quietest car I've ever owned. Overall it seems like great bang for the buck too.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I drive 5.7 Crewmax in Texas and no bed bounce for me on these roads.
Drove folks 4runner 4th gen with the v6 and plenty umph on that V6, just not a 5.7 motor of course.

4.6 liter option is the next logical thing of course, but the 4 liter does a good job especially on the 4x2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts