Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have searched the threads and have not found anyone else with this question. I am sure, however, someone with better search skills will point me to an existing thread. Here is the issue. I have a 2010 5.7 CM and I was reading the "Warranty & Maintenance Guide" that was provided to me with the truck. According to this guide it recommends changing the oil every 2500 miles! I now have 15k on my truck and have been blindly changing the oil every time the Maint light cam on. But this time was the first time I realized that this has been happening every 2500 miles. So I dug out this book and found that is exactly what it recommends. I only use Mobile 1 synthetic 20W so I am sure this is overkill. Everything I have read on here talks about 5k or even 15k recommendations by Toyota. I went to the Toyota website and downloaded the Warranty and Maintenance guide form there. It looks just like mine but its recommended intervals are 5k. Did I just get a misprinted guide?
Anyone else have this?

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
If you have the Flex Fuel "FF" version and you runn it on E85 then yes you need to change your oil every 2500 miles. If you have the FF and do not E85 then you can go every 5K like the manual states.

Mine is the FF and I refuse to run it (cost is not a savinging when my milage drops).

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I did not think to mention but I do not have FF version and do not run E85 (AKA corncrap) in my truck.

Also, my Maint light comes on every 2500 miles, is this normal?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thanks, I did not think to mention but I do not have FF version and do not run E85 (AKA corncrap) in my truck.

Also, my Maint light comes on every 2500 miles, is this normal?
I would say no. I also have FF and my light has not come on for 3500 miles now. I change my oil every 4000 on this truck. No E85 use here as there is no place that even sells it. Probably one of the biggest scams to ever been sold to the American public.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
OK, I have searched the threads and have not found anyone else with this question. I am sure, however, someone with better search skills will point me to an existing thread. Here is the issue. I have a 2010 5.7 CM and I was reading the "Warranty & Maintenance Guide" that was provided to me with the truck. According to this guide it recommends changing the oil every 2500 miles! I now have 15k on my truck and have been blindly changing the oil every time the Maint light cam on. But this time was the first time I realized that this has been happening every 2500 miles. So I dug out this book and found that is exactly what it recommends. I only use Mobile 1 synthetic 20W so I am sure this is overkill. Everything I have read on here talks about 5k or even 15k recommendations by Toyota. I went to the Toyota website and downloaded the Warranty and Maintenance guide form there. It looks just like mine but its recommended intervals are 5k. Did I just get a misprinted guide?
Anyone else have this?

Thanks,

Stephen
I think changing your synthetic oil every 2500 miles is a waste of money. You can easily extend that to 5K.

My light Maint Req light goes on at 5K intervals but the manual states 10K oil/filter change interval.

Are you on schedule "A" or "B" per your manual? I wonder if this is applicable to where the truck was sold (geographic) in the U.S. 2500 is awfully low fo a non FF truck.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My manual, the one I received with the truck, does not have schedule "A" and "B" but if I go to Toyota.com and download one it does. I guess the odd part for me is that the Maint light is coming on every 2500 miles. I actually read the "Warranty & Maintenance Guide" that was provided to me with the truck a bit closer and I noticed that it tells me to change the oil every 2500 and the filter every 5000. Odd. I am going to bring it to the dealer and ask them about the manual that was provided for me. It looks exactly like the one you download but has a totally different maintenance schedule. I was just curious if others have received the same version that I have.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
My wife's Mercedes calls for an oil change every 13,000 miles. Mobil 1 syn. I've always gone 10,000 miles between oil changes on my other Toyota products ... been using Royal Purple syn oil. Couldn't be more satisfied. I find it hard to believe that your 2010 Tundra wants fresh oil every 2500 miles. I just bought a 2011 Tundra and I sure don't expect to change oil every 2500 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's Mercedes calls for an oil change every 13,000 miles. Mobil 1 syn. I've always gone 10,000 miles between oil changes on my other Toyota products ... been using Royal Purple syn oil. Couldn't be more satisfied. I find it hard to believe that your 2010 Tundra wants fresh oil every 2500 miles. I just bought a 2011 Tundra and I sure don't expect to change oil every 2500 miles.
:tu: It is nice to see another fan of Royal Purple! I use Royal Purple lube products in eveything, I even use Royal Purple Gun Lube on all my guns. What brand of filter do you use? I have used Baldwin filters for years and have been very happy with them, the only problem is that I have to order them off the web since nobody in my area stocks them. I have a 2010 Tundra Platinum, I just reached 5000 miles and will be doing an oil change this weekend.

Fliver

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
With traditional oil I would stick with 5k OCI, if you're doing some serious towing or racing maybe 3k OCI. This would include oil and filter for either interval.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Take a picture of your warranty guide for us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts