Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the little box on the back side of the filter with the rubber hose going to it, I don't have my computer so I can't post pics. Would it be less restrictive to just run a straight pipe to the filter?

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Just leave it alone.

·
Banned
444 Posts
I would get rid of it, What ever it is :D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I assume your talking about the resonator. Its there to reduce sound and yes a straight air path would be better. They put them on nearly all vehicles as the majority of the people out there don't want to hear their engine breathe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you bill, I assumed it was to dampen sound, but I just wanted to make sure...looks like my first mod.. Wanna hear this baby purrr

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The resonance chamber does more than just quiet sound. It cancels pulses that travel back up the intake as each intake valve closes. It can actually improve performance because the interference of the wave that is traveling back up the intake tract is dampened. Not all resonance chambers are the same. They are tuned to the engine that they are mated to. I left mine intact.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The resonance chamber does more than just quiet sound. It cancels pulses that travel back up the intake as each intake valve closes. It can actually improve performance because the interference of the wave that is traveling back up the intake tract is dampened. Not all resonance chambers are the same. They are tuned to the engine that they are mated to. I left mine intact.
Complicated way of saying it reduces noise. They are tuned to the engine because different engine have different resonance frequencies, same way the exhaust resonator is in place. I believe they are necessary via some EPA guideline mandating a certain noise level limit in vehicles.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Complicated way of saying it reduces noise. They are tuned to the engine because different engine have different resonance frequencies, same way the exhaust resonator is in place. I believe they are necessary via some EPA guideline mandating a certain noise level limit in vehicles.
They also improve performance. The pulses in the intake generated by air slamming into the closing intake valve travel back up the intake. This energy slows incoming air. These pulses are one of the reasons we have intake manifolds that look like pretzels. The frequency changes with RPM so an intake that may be effective at 1500 RPM is unable to make power as easily at higher RPMs. There is a valve in the intake tract that changes the effective runner length at differing RPMs. A supercharged engine does not need a resonance chamber because it is mechanically forcing the air down the intake which does not allow the pulses to interfere with incoming air. The compressed air waits at the valve until it opens.
The "noise" is detrimental to performance. The resonance chamber is not there because the EPA thinks your intake is too loud. Customer satisfaction is. It builds power by reducing resonance in the intake. A byproduct is a quieter intake. Toy wins both ways.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
They also improve performance. The pulses in the intake generated by air slamming into the closing intake valve travel back up the intake. This energy slows incoming air. These pulses are one of the reasons we have intake manifolds that look like pretzels. The frequency changes with RPM so an intake that may be effective at 1500 RPM is unable to make power as easily at higher RPMs. There is a valve in the intake tract that changes the effective runner length at differing RPMs. A supercharged engine does not need a resonance chamber because it is mechanically forcing the air down the intake which does not allow the pulses to interfere with incoming air. The compressed air waits at the valve until it opens.
The "noise" is detrimental to performance. The resonance chamber is not there because the EPA thinks your intake is too loud. Customer satisfaction is. It builds power by reducing resonance in the intake. A byproduct is a quieter intake. Toy wins both ways.
The Toyota resonator is no different than any other resonator installed on every new vehicle built from any manufacturer. There are guidelines for engine noise from the EPA same as with exhaust noise. I tried looking through the EPA site but like typical big GOV fashion its nearly impossible to find what your looking for besides abstract documents.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
after seeing this thread, i was just about to post that link to the planetsoarer article. the owner of the site does a lot of work for toyota soarer/lexus sc and a lot of SC owners take his research to heart (i own a SC). I can also vouch that the tests he's done are factual. On my SC, i had installed the injen intake and after a couple months, I went back to the factory air intake with resonator and modified intake box (his BFI). The aftermarket intakes from what i gather are good mainly in the upper rpm band where the airflow speed is high. Downlow in the rpm range where there is the air hitting the closing intake valves, they harm performance. From what i gathered, this being a truck, i would expect that power downlow is the name of the game.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
While you' both beat me to the punch AND provided an excellent reason as to why that I couldn't have done, I will add that some F150 owners have tinkered with it and lost power and mileage (if we're all talking about the same thing)

-rockstate

·
Banned
444 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts