Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered already, but just to reiterate for all the doubters, you can put your 2010 Tundra headlights in the oven without having to remove the headlight adjustment motor.

You have zero chance of cooking the mechanism as long as you don't leave it in the oven too long. I put mine in at 250 degrees for 11 minutes with no adverse affects.

On to the pics!

Headlight assembly removed

Remove ring (3 screws)

Remove rubber gasket under the ring with slotted screwdriver

Remove second rubber gasket (headlight adjustment motor is at the 5 o'clock position to the gasket just removed (white nut))

Headlight in the oven. The motor is shown here sticking up (roughly in the center). I put the light in this way to keep the motor as far away from the heating element as possible.

Assembly pulled apart after baking at 250 for 11 minutes. Make sure to remove the 6 #15 torx screws from the back first!

Remove 2 #15 Torx screws (located at the bottom) to release the chrome piece from the clear lens

Tape off turn signal with painter's tape. Lightly buff up with a scouring pad and apply 1 coat of primer. I baked it for 10 minutes at 250 to ensure adhesion.

I sprayed 3 coats of satin black Krylon Fusion paint (satin finish), baking 10 minutes between coats. It looks shiny due to the flash and it just being painted.

After painting, I put the light back together, re-baked for 10 minutes (to make the RTV adhesive pliable again), pressed it back together and put the 6 torx screws back in. Just as an extra precaution, I sealed the whole unit all the way around with Marine Goop. I took it through the carwash today and both lights seem to have sealed perfectly.

Took me roughly 4-5 hours from taking the lights out to clean up so the wife didn't see the mess when she woke up :angrywife:

Oh, one more thing! Down about 5 Coors Light:beer:(1 per hour) to acheive maximum awesomeness.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Nice job, now...when do you want to do MINE???

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
And mine too!!

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Nice work! (pts sent) Now that I've finally seen the BHLM on our Pyrite's in Black.... I "might" try this with matching paint (Pyrite). I don't know if I like the BHLM as well on our Pyrites as I've seen it on other colors.... just not sure :confuseda:

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work! (pts sent) Now that I've finally seen the BHLM on our Pyrite's in Black.... I "might" try this with matching paint (Pyrite). I don't know if I like the BHLM as well on our Pyrites as I've seen it on other colors.... just not sure :confuseda:
Thanks! I know people say this all the time, but it really does look better in person. I thought about doing the color match as well, but after seeing different Tundras with color matched headlights, it doesn't look as good as black in my humble opinion.

Whenever I see a vehicle with a black headlight mod (any brand of vehicle) I always mutter to myself "damn that looks sharp". You can't go wrong with basic black, it ties the grille and the middle lower portion of the bumper together. Since we can't get Pyrite Mica grille surround (without painting it :td:), I'm all about the Pyrite/Black contrast.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Thanks! I know people say this all the time, but it really does look better in person. I thought about doing the color match as well, but after seeing different Tundras with color matched headlights, it doesn't look as good as black in my humble opinion.

Whenever I see a vehicle with a black headlight mod (any brand of vehicle) I always mutter to myself "damn that looks sharp". You can't go wrong with basic black, it ties the grille and the middle lower portion of the bumper together. Since we can't get Pyrite Mica grille surround (without painting it :td:), I'm all about the Pyrite/Black contrast.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any.
I agree 100%.
I like the black better than color matching the body. In my case, it will be a color match, but that's just a bonus. I'm thinking about removing my grill emblem and painting it black today.

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree 100%.
I like the black better than color matching the body. In my case, it will be a color match, but that's just a bonus. I'm thinking about removing my grill emblem and painting it black today.
I did the same thing on my last truck (08 CM Black), here's some pics of how it turned out.

·
Registered
819 Posts
alottolearn,

Good job!. What is it that you have your headlights laying face down on in the oven?

I think I can spot some tinfoil. but not sure what the other thing is.

When I did the BHLM on my 08, I put my lenses face down on an oven mit sitting on a cookie sheet. This way the plastic lens wasn't touching anything metal.

Ive got a 2010 that I have to do now. Maybe this friday!. Glad to hear the motors aren't a problem and appreciate the info about 11mins at 250. The original mod calls for something like 275 for (i forget how many mins).

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alottolearn,

Good job!. What is it that you have your headlights laying face down on in the oven?

I think I can spot some tinfoil. but not sure what the other thing is.

When I did the BHLM on my 08, I put my lenses face down on an oven mit sitting on a cookie sheet. This way the plastic lens wasn't touching anything metal.

Ive got a 2010 that I have to do now. Maybe this friday!. Glad to hear the motors aren't a problem and appreciate the info about 11mins at 250. The original mod calls for something like 275 for (i forget how many mins).
Thanks man..I have my headlights laying on a baking stone, but a cookie sheet will do. I did melt a teensy weensy spot on the lens, but after I did that lens, I just laid a cloth rag on top of the tinfoil to avoid the lens getting too hot (oven is not hot enough to cause the rag to catch fire).

I noticed a lot of people using 275, but I didn't want to take any chances. I would rather cook the headlights longer at a lower heat than shorter time at a higher heat..I just don't want to melt that lens!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I did the same thing on my last truck (08 CM Black), here's some pics of how it turned out.
Looks good. I pulled mine out to paint it, then realized that I was out of black paint. I had charcoal grey, so I colored it grey. I'll drive it for a few days to see if I like it grey, but I'll probably paint it black like I had planned.

I also have some recatagle driving lights to install below the front fascia. I'm going to build brackets and bolt them where the tow hooks used to be so they fit into that little recession. I have a freash air tube installed in my right factory fog lamp position.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Real nice work... makes me want to do mine now.
Anyone do this on a Silver truck and have pictures to share?
Ill go pour a cab in the meantime :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's not a Crewcab but I think Silver is one of the nicest colors to do the BHLM mod on.

My Old 2008

Agree!!!!!!!! That looks sweet. Thanks. On the list to do. :tu:

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I know this has been covered already, but just to reiterate for all the doubters, you can put your 2010 Tundra headlights in the oven without having to remove the headlight adjustment motor.

You have zero chance of cooking the mechanism as long as you don't leave it in the oven too long. I put mine in at 250 degrees for 11 minutes with no adverse affects.

On to the pics!

Remove ring (3 screws)

Remove second rubber gasket (headlight adjustment motor is at the 5 o'clock position to the gasket just removed (white nut))

Headlight in the oven. The motor is shown here sticking up (roughly in the center). I put the light in this way to keep the motor as far away from the heating element as possible.

Assembly pulled apart after baking at 250 for 11 minutes. Make sure to remove the 6 #15 torx screws from the back first!

Remove 2 #15 Torx screws (located at the bottom) to release the chrome piece from the clear lens

Tape off turn signal with painter's tape. Lightly buff up with a scouring pad and apply 1 coat of primer. I baked it for 10 minutes at 250 to ensure adhesion.

I sprayed 3 coats of satin black Krylon Fusion paint (satin finish), baking 10 minutes between coats. It looks shiny due to the flash and it just being painted.

After painting, I put the light back together, re-baked for 10 minutes (to make the RTV adhesive pliable again), pressed it back together and put the 6 torx screws back in. Just as an extra precaution, I sealed the whole unit all the way around with Marine Goop. I took it through the carwash today and both lights seem to have sealed perfectly.

Took me roughly 4-5 hours from taking the lights out to clean up so the wife didn't see the mess when she woke up :angrywife:

Oh, one more thing! Down about 5 Coors Light:beer:(1 per hour) to acheive maximum awesomeness.
How about we swap headlights and i add $200 haha

·
Registered
1,659 Posts

On to the pics!

Remove ring (3 screws)

How did y'all get all those soap suds in the water behind your truck, that is freaking awesome!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks great. Can you do mine also? I assume thats ice in the river? Ive got a dumb ? , whats the headlight motor do? , or what makes it do ?

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks great. Can you do mine also? I assume thats ice in the river? Ive got a dumb ? , whats the headlight motor do? , or what makes it do ?
yeah that's ice alright!

The headlight motor adjusts the lights up or down (mainly for towing, i guess, so that headlights aren't pointing up at too much of an angle, blinding oncoming traffic); they are standard on the 2010 models

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Looks sharp man, good job.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Are folks taping over the plastic lens of the turn signals or popping the clear lens off and taping off just the reflective dish?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts