Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
E PLURIBUS UNUM
2,247 Posts
2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor First Look on Inside Line

Did you mean this article?

If so.... It looks like they threw a long travel suspension on it with some fox shocks..... did up the interior, added some fender flares.... and there you go...

Is it built for off road better than a stock tundra TRD......well yes, of course it is. It is a specialty vehicle. Could you build a better tundra with the same amount of money? You could build a better one with less cost I am sure. There are enough off road companies with tundra support that it could easily be done. The custom 1 off interior pieces would have to be hand made, but most show vehicles are the same way. I see nothing special about the raptor, other than it is built by SVT......

With the support of Camburg, Donahoe (Icon), Kore, King, SAW, and everyone else, I know better can be made. I have seen much better toyotas than that raptor built for the same thing.... it is the nicest Ford truck I have ever seen and it will smack the pants off a stock TRD, but I dont think they ever even made the thing for production.... which negates its purpose.....

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Also, that article was written in November 2008. The 2010 Tundras are here...where is the raptor? Any one have any new information on actual production?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Raptor should be here soon.

I don't see how you could compare the Raptor to the TRD. You couldn't even compare the Raptor to the Power Wagon. I would rather have hte PowerWagon any day of the week when mudding and the Raptor for washboard roads.

The TRD just has a stiff suspension but it is honestly nothing special, face it. Compare the TRD to the FX4 or the z71 packages but you can't compare it to the Raptor or the Power Wagon.

-rockstate

·
Registered
65 Posts
I saw an all Black Raptor today on Highway 80 just past Sacramento on the way to Tahoe. It was very slick looking. It did not look very tall compared to me. Unfortunately it was heading the opposite direction and I about snappped my neck trying to look.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Ford needs to take that powertrain and make it available across the board....not just in a specialty app that half a dozen people might buy. Props to them for finally making the effort to climb out of the performance cellar. :tu:

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
So I wonder how it would stack up to the stage3 Ivan Stewart tundra.

PickupTrucks.com - First Drive: Ivan Stewart Signature Series Toyota Tundra
The Ivan Stewart truck has nothing fancy in terms of suspension. I believe it has Bilstein 5100 series adjustable shocks, which are great shocks but don't even compare with internal triple-bypass shocks. The lower control arms are custom build for the raptor, increasing it's width by 6 inches and allowing for increased wheel travel whilst being stronger. The only advantage the Ivan Stewart truck has is some serious ponies and huge brakes.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I think the Raptor is great for what it is, but the market for that truck is a niche market at best.

As well, people claim that the 6.2 is a the greatest thing Ford has ever done....but a 16 valve V8 that is 0.5L larger than ours......the performance numbers (400HP and 400lbs torque) are dismal at best.

The chassis is the winner in this truck....powertrain with that 5.4 is sour apple. You'd think Ford would have just waited to introduce the truck with the acceptable motor....in order to have a better vehicle introduction.

And who buys extended cab pickups? Regular cabs and crew cabs are all you see anymore.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The Ivan Stewart truck has nothing fancy in terms of suspension. I believe it has Bilstein 5100 series adjustable shocks, which are great shocks but don't even compare with internal triple-bypass shocks. The lower control arms are custom build for the raptor, increasing it's width by 6 inches and allowing for increased wheel travel whilst being stronger. The only advantage the Ivan Stewart truck has is some serious ponies and huge brakes.
I guess Ivan needs to come out with the stage4 kit now.
"He's anxious to see how well his Signature Series pickups sell, because he's already thinking about possibly creating a STAGE 4 long-travel, stock-based Tundra."

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think the Raptor is great for what it is, but the market for that truck is a niche market at best.

As well, people claim that the 6.2 is a the greatest thing Ford has ever done....but a 16 valve V8 that is 0.5L larger than ours......the performance numbers (400HP and 400lbs torque) are dismal at best.

The chassis is the winner in this truck....powertrain with that 5.4 is sour apple. You'd think Ford would have just waited to introduce the truck with the acceptable motor....in order to have a better vehicle introduction.

And who buys extended cab pickups? Regular cabs and crew cabs are all you see anymore.
I agree with but the part about buy ext-cab trucks. Especially if you get a double cab tundra. It is just as big as most other full 4 door cab.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I agree with but the part about buy ext-cab trucks. Especially if you get a double cab tundra. It is just as big as most other full 4 door cab.

Good point. I should have said four normal opening doors. The reason the double cab sells so well is because you don't have the stupid suicide door. Regular opening doors, even on an extended cab, would make them much easier to sell.

For all intensive purposes, I consider the double cab a crew cab truck. My Crewmax is just plain overkill (just like I like it :D).

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Dang... it doesn't qualify for C.A.R.S.
Guess my idea of buying a beater to cash in on a new rig, goes to the pooper...

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks that interior looks hideous (as in gaudy)?:puke:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
"We didn't design the truck to jump, and it's not designed as a race truck," Stewart said. "It's a starter truck that will let you go where you can't get a speeding ticket, but it has to be driven within its parameters."
You'd have to be a moron to pay $60 grand for that truck that does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and isn't anything special. Hell, a stock double cab will do 0-60 in 6.0 and probably about the same with the same amount of weight inside the cab plus fuel.

Imagine the price with a suspension on it.... probably close to 20gs more than the Raptor.

Personally, I don't see any current pick up truck as an "investment" as he puts it (so kindly mentioning Shelby).

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
The Raptor SVT is the first truck my wife said she's love to drive and have some fun off road with, be that in the sand or just hitting some dessert roads, we often ATV ride and she's just more comfortable with 4 wheels.. The option package thats included with the Raptor their hill decent and being offered on 35's with BFG stock is hard to beat and being some 11in wider than a stock truck makes this Fox suspended truck a deal at just over $42K with the only option being nav/graphics/ color/ and some interior options, its a bargain considering the cost of the suspension and being factory backed,, besides Ford also claimed that they would back the shocks for 150K miles as stated in one of the video's, whether that actually happens is the buyers reality. For the price its an awesome deal on a specialty truck that does nearly everything very well, especially the R model. Yet i do love my Tundra, so come one TRD make us a truck to run with that Raptor....We could offer a SC Tundra Baja Edition :tu:

·
Registered
656 Posts
You'd have to be a moron to pay $60 grand for that truck that does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and isn't anything special. Hell, a stock double cab will do 0-60 in 6.0 and probably about the same with the same amount of weight inside the cab plus fuel.

Imagine the price with a suspension on it.... probably close to 20gs more than the Raptor.

Personally, I don't see any current pick up truck as an "investment" as he puts it (so kindly mentioning Shelby).

-rockstate
If I wanted an off-roader, I would buy a single-cab Tundra-grade with the 5.7, Throw $5,000 for Camburg long travel kit, some glassworks flared fenders, $700 or so for a deaver 10-pack, some internal bypass rear shocks, wheels and 35" tires. All that and you're looking at low to mid 30's for a far superior off-road machine then the raptor.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
If I wanted an off-roader, I would buy a single-cab Tundra-grade with the 5.7, Throw $5,000 for Camburg long travel kit, some glassworks flared fenders, $700 or so for a deaver 10-pack, some internal bypass rear shocks, wheels and 35" tires. All that and you're looking at low to mid 30's for a far superior off-road machine then the raptor.
Very true, and I'd love to do the same (with a Ranch Hand on the front :clown: ;)) but not everybody has the same philosophy on vehicles as ppl on forums. I'd say 85% of us in this Tundra forum that post regularly are dedicated as can be to our trucks.

The same can be said about Jeeps.... who is going to pay 35K grand for a Rubicon when you can build one better and for less money. However, all that takes time and dedication when you can have one "out of the box."

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Raptor is pretty cool way beyond bolt ons. Thing is until it gets the bigger V-8 motor and a crew cab configuration it is less desirable than many current trucks IMO.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Why stop there? To bring you to near price parity with the Raptor you could also install the TRD supercharger, you have to make sure to have enough power to really get some air over bumps so you can enjoy the long travel suspension even more!:devil:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts