Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
Glad to have found a more specific 2nd Gen Sequoia forum! I'm a previous Tundra owner (2001, 2006, 2016, 2021) so pretty familiar with the general platform but recently traded the newest one in for a more family friendly Sequoia. I'm very happy with it but had a few questions pertaining to lift + spacers/tires.

My mechanic suggested new rear shocks, so I feel like I am divining into this at the right time. My vehicle currently sits about dead level... I am guessing this is due to worn/sagging rear springs (?)... it had 180k on it and looks like original shocks + springs. I also just picked up a set of Tundra TRD 18" take offs with 275/70 Duratracs.
It seems I can fit those alright w/o much or any rubbing as is, but I dig the wider stance and would like to do 1" spacers.

I know Bora and Spidertrax do easily available 1.25" but I'd rather just go 1".
Does anyone have experience with these: Trail-Gear Hub-Centric Wheel Spacer Kits (5x150mm) for 98-20 Land Cruiser, 08-20 Sequoia and 07-20 Tundra
Trail Gear hub centric spacers...

Along with the wheels/tires, spacers [no serious off-roading for me - just gravel and occasional forest service roads and snowy/muddy farm trails/fields] I would like to lift the vehicle a bit.

My real question is, if I were to do 1/2" Coachbuilder shims in the front (1") lift and a 1.5" coil spacer in the rear... what new rear shocks should I get? I know the 5100's accommodate up to 1" lift, would that be sufficient to cover the 1.5" spacer? Or, should I drop a few more dollars and get the 1.75" Dobinsons springs and shocks?

Thanks for any insights!!

·
Registered
14’ Sequoia Limited
276 Posts
I have Dobinsons 1.75” springs/shocks in the rear of my 14’ and they are amazing! I have Bilstein 6112’s in front and again, great shocks! Less squat from acceleration, less roll, more planted feel to the truck. I would definitely do a real suspension set up and pass on the spacers. I went through months of research and at one point had a ReadyLift kit at my house but returned it. Read this thread:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Farns, Yeah, I would never do a real front spacer lift. The CB is just a shim that stays w/in the safe limits (talk more with Dave Ekstrom for details - fascinating) but great to hear about the Dobinsons rears. I think I'll go that route w/ the 1.75" and either do the 1" fronts or see how my front shocks are doing and possibly go Billy 5100 or 6112s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My .02 - I have 5100s in the back and haven't been too thrilled with them. I wish I'd gone with 6112s. I hadn't planned to tow/haul much but had to help some family out a few months ago with a trailer. The squat was egregious and it seems as if they still haven't recovered. I'm in the market for something more robust.

I have no experience with the Trail Gears but I am currently running the Spidertrax 1.25" spacers on OE stockers (60 mm offset) with 275/70s. Puts the tires just about flush with the fenders. I went this route because I couldn't get the wheels I wanted when I got my lift, but the enormous stock offset made it look super silly.

It's a temporary fix. I did a lot of research into wheel spacers given that there are some horror stories about them out there. Spidertrax were highly recommended by numerous knowledgeable folks so I went that route. I have had no issues with them so far.

I plan on going with new wheels/tires early next year with a more aggressive offset. Won't change the stance much but I want to eliminate the spacers eventually.

Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts