Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the non-JBL factory head unit with the bluetooth and steering wheel controls in my 2010 Rock Warrior double cab. I am planning on keeping the headunit and replacing the speakers and adding an amp and sub. I remember hearing that even without the JBL, I should be prewired for the factory subwoofer.

Can anyone confirm this for me? What wires should be back there? Would it be signal wires for speaker level inputs? I really tried searching, but can't seem to find anything specific to my question. I am considering a JL Audio W3v3 sub in a flat wedge ported box.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
nope. its not as far as anyone knows. but its not hard to run your own wiring.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Its possible its there. I recently helped my buddy take apart his 08 DC with non-JBL to do some sound deadening, and his was pre-wired for the sub back there. Best way to check is to pull off the lower C pillar cover, if its there you'll see it.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jumbo Jet, I hope so. Do you happen to recall what color the wires were, and which one did what?

Can I get the C pillar trim off and get to the wires without taking out the seat?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I think you can manage to get it off without removing the seats. You'll need to pop off the seatbelt cover on the bottom, then I think it's a 14mm bolt that holds it in.... might be 12mm, cant remember. Once that seatbelt bolt is out the cover just pops right off with a firm tug.

As far as the wire colors, I cant remember which one is + or - ..... sorry.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I was hoping that the speaker level inputs would be back there, so I don't have to mess with taking apart the doors to get speaker leads. Is it just the positive and ground wires back there then? Sorry to be harassing you, I tried to go out today and take the seat out, but I didn't have enough time before work. My new sub and amp are getting delivered tomorrow, I'd love to install it Friday!!! Its gonna warm up to 45 degrees Friday too!!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Not harassing me at all, and sounds like you have a serious heat wave coming. Im not certain what color the wires are back there, or which is which, but I do know they are back there and ready to go for the JBL sub. If you had the JBL sub it should be simple plug and play.

I havent used them for tapping into the speaker level inputs, maybe somebody else can chime in on that.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I took out the rear seats and took off the C pillar panel... no wires. I had to take off the B pillar panels and tap into the rear speaker wires to get signal for the amp. Its not that big of a deal, and was actually easier to do that than it was to remove the rear seat and check for the amp. It would have made me feel better if I didn't have to tap into the actual speaker wire though.
Keep in mind that I have the Rock Warrior, which is wired slightly different from regular grade Tundras. For example, the info buttons for the clock display will work on the Rock Warrior, and don't on the grade models.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a question about the clock display. I have a Rock Warrior, and I don't have the option to change the clock to view other data. Do you have this ability? Also do you know if the RW is prewired for back up camera?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had a question about the clock display. I have a Rock Warrior, and I don't have the option to change the clock to view other data. Do you have this ability? Also do you know if the RW is prewired for back up camera?
That's odd, I thought the RW was more decked out than a standard SR5. Are you sure that you can access mileage data and temp by hitting the info button on the dash? My TRD SR5 has this ability and I thought everyone but maybe Tundra Grade could do that.

-Wes

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't havve the buttons, but from other threads it appears as though the RW is pre wired for the buttons, we would just need to acquire them somehow. If you have the tow package, you are pre wired for the rear view camera.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts