Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Newbie here, so be nice please.
Seeking to add a tailgate backup camera possibly with aftermarket or used OEM head unit, I would prefer to use the factory harness.
Several wiring diagrams posted here for my 2010 double cab and other models/years show that the backup camera harness has several connectors in its run from the rear connector to the overhead connector for the LCD mirror connection. Previous posts on this forum suggest that they are located at one and/or two locations or maybe are already present at the head unit. The possible locations are as follows:
1. Base of left (driver side) pillar;
2. Under glove box;
3. POSSIBLY already in OEM cable for factory head unit (I do not have one, yet, but plan to add).
Which of these can I believe? Which ones apply to the 2010 model year? Is it possible to verify any of these without ripping into things prior to making any decisions? It seems like everything regarding connectors changed in this wiring between the '09 and '10 model years.
Also, does my truck already have a factory GPS antenna? Some posts suggest that Toyota put the antenna in under the dash even for trucks that did not have an upgraded head unit from the factory.
Thanks for any help,
RFB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None. This is a basic DC with towing package, with non-JBL radio/DVD. No steering wheel controls, no Bluetooth, nor anything else. It does have the harness for the backup camera from near the tailgate underneath to the overhead above the mirror (Basic mirror too, at this point.) I go off-road a lot here in Eastern Oregon, so I do not want another set of harness running full length under the truck. I cannot use a license plate camera option because my airbag inflation stems are passed through the upper license plate bolts.
RFB

·
Registered
179 Posts
Bob,

When I bought my backup camera and mirror kit ($269) from tailgatecamera.com I noticed that they had a parts for the 2010 that my buddy has as well. This camera, monitor and mirror set is amazing. The only shortcoming is that the night vision (IR) looks black and white -after dark but hey it still works well.

https://tailgatecamera.com/collections/toyota/products/2007-2013-tundra-oem-hd-camera-kit

I'd call Brian at their toll free number; he helped me with a couple of phone calls. OBTW your year camera is on sale right now for $149.99 with OEM harness. So is their 4.3" monitor, rear view mirror at 139.99. The mirror is OEM quality; really better than my stock SR-5 mirror was.
https://tailgatecamera.com/collecti...irror-with-4-3-lcd-display-for-back-up-camera

Also, Google:toyota tundra rear view mirror installation +2010 Toyota Tundra+youtube
https://www.google.com/search?q=toy...ome..69i57.28447j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
May be of some help...

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you manage to figure this out? I have the overhead LCD monitor but would like to connect my newly purchased system. The closest harness that would be perfect for this purpose would be the one under the glove box, if nothing on the headunit area. Did you figure this out?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts