Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, not sure if this has been done yet. After purchasing my 2010 Platinum CM several weeks ago I decided to get rid some of that chrome on the front end. I bought a slate metallic sport grill and replaced the center portion with the middle insert of my existing Platinum/Limited. This didnt take too much time just had to be very careful of the one-way clips that hold the middle section in. Let me know what you think...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Wow dude thats looooooks great! Awesome job

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Fantastic!!! I was wondering the other day if that section came out.

If you did the lower bumper and insert, that truck would be a knock-out. I've been looking at trucks lately, and the only thing preventing me from looking at the Platinums is the chrome bumper. I had an SR5, so I just wouldn't like having the same bumper again (I did paint that one).

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the postive feedback guys! My choices were this Platinum and the Limited and with the hot summer days in Nor Cal it was a no brainer with the cooled seats..

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
really like it. i think u might be the first, at least i dont remember seeing it yet. but really dig the center portion being the way it is....great job. for some reason it just flows with the entire truck, chrome bumper and all. awesome.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Looks good - too bad the upper "eye-brow" on the grill isn't chromed as well.... looks out of place being black, with the rest of the grill either painted or chromed.

Points sent for being a pioneer!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Nice SLATE! LOOKS GREAT! Points sent!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Looks good - too bad the upper "eye-brow" on the grill isn't chromed as well.... looks out of place being black, with the rest of the grill either painted or chromed.

Points sent for being a pioneer!
im one of the few that likes the black eye brow thingy. to me it looks cheap if painted body color and even cheaper if chromed or replaced with a SS panel like some have done. its a piece of trim that i think looks fine as is, the only other way it would look better IMO is to have it gone altogether and filled in but thats not an easy choice so i like it as is...

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
im one of the few that likes the black eye brow thingy. to me it looks cheap if painted body color and even cheaper if chromed or replaced with a SS panel like some have done. its a piece of trim that i think looks fine as is, the only other way it would look better IMO is to have it gone altogether and filled in but thats not an easy choice so i like it as is...
I get what you're saying... and ordinarily I'd say the same, as I don't mind the "eye-brow"...... but, since the grill surround is painted, and the rest of the grill is chrome, I think the black eye-brow looks out of place. The only other left-over black on the front is the bottom bumper-valance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The strange thing about the "eye-brow" now is that it does absolutely nothing. On the 2007-2009 there were locating screws underneath it. The 2010 does not have these mounting points and i would have preferred Toyota did away with this completely. I agree it would look awesome without anything there.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Looks great, I agree the eye-brow needs to disappear.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Colombo - Speaking of the one-way tabs, are they attached to the insert or to the surround. I was looking at mine and it seemed that they were attached to the surround and going into the insert.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, the tabs are on the grill surround. There were about 15-20 that needed to be removed. I found it easiest to remove the metal bracket support on the bottom of grill and then start with those tabs first. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I used a screwdriver and an extra set of hands to remove my grille surround from the insert (had the insert painted). The tricky part is holding the first freed tabs so they don't pop back in as you work your way through.

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
395 Posts
wow looks great man...I don't like the platinum grille at all (chrome overload :td:), but this is a live-able alternative. A classy, yet subtle touch. Points sent!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
That looks great dude first one i've ever seen like that. Thumbs up!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts