Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great Job with the tank and install! It does make a difference finding a local propane shop that will give you a repeat customer discount, I have heard shops can get a 50 cent gov rebate as well for filling up. I am looking at getting a new 2013 and doing the technocarb system. Was there a reason you went with the other system or was it just priced right?

One other question I have not been able to find is if the Flex Fuel engine is better/worse for a LP conversion if anyone knows??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: 2010 RC Toyota Tundra Propane Conversion

Great Job with the tank and install! It does make a difference finding a local propane shop that will give you a repeat customer discount, I have heard shops can get a 50 cent gov rebate as well for filling up. I am looking at getting a new 2013 and doing the technocarb system. Was there a reason you went with the other system or was it just priced right?

One other question I have not been able to find is if the Flex Fuel engine is better/worse for a LP conversion if anyone knows??
I went with the Prins for 2 reasons. My brother had purchased Prins injectors and a LPG reducer a couple years back and never had them fitted so he got me the rest of the kit and gave it to me. Technically speaking I swapped it for a Pinball machine I had left him some 4 years ago.
In my asking around I also was told that the Prins is the more reliable system. Now Im sure they would both be equally as good when set up but I did hear of people that had the Prins for many years and would take them from one vehicle and fit them to another.
I chose the flex fuel Tundra as E85 is a corrosive fuel and I read on this forum that Toyota upgrades the engine internals to compensate for it. Here is the link to the Flex fuel info

FlexFuelToyotaTechPage3 Photo by okbronc | Photobucket

This should help the longjevity with the propane also as it is a dry fuel. The other manufacturers all offer LPG upgrades on their engines but Toyota does not so this was the closest thing to an upgrade to deal with propane I could come up with.

A good friend made an interesting point also. Toyota is more of a global manufacturer and sells the same engine in countries that use alot of propane. His thinking was that the engine is probably setup to suit these types of fuels because of this, rather than like the other big three pick up manufacturers that generally build their engines to suit the US market which has very little propane demand and hence why they offer an upgrade. This was just a hunch and I could be wong but it made sense to me.

Another reason I chose Toyota was I used to machine cylinder heads for most of my life and all the Japanese heads I worked on had much better valve seat materials and guide matrials in general. Granted I had never machined one of these heads, I did ask around at a couple of shops in the US and I only found one that had even seen a Toyota V8 in for a recondition. Alot of that will be that they are new to the market but I also asked in countries where this engine has been around longer than it had here in the US as well.

Well gas here in the Twin Cities just went up to $4.29 yesterday..... so Im laughing all the way to the bank. Propane had gone up to $1.56 plus tax or $1.96 including tax.

I just filled my second tank as well and ran 719 miles on 53.7 gallons for around 13.4 MPG. I am very happy as this is vary close to 90% of the MPG I was getting on gasoline.

·
Registered
517 Posts
^^^ Yep, I made it to costco in Coon Rapids, the dude working the pumps told me it would probably go up tomorrow. They still had it under $4 a gal, while the holiday next to my house was at 4.29.

I wonder if there is a resource for non-local places to fill up propane at a decent price? we are going to be doing a lot of out of state traveling in the next couple years, and I'm going to run the numbers the best I can to see if over the next few years it would be worth it to do the LP conversion.

Nice to see another MN tundra owner! Any ill effects of the LP when cold? Like a drop in pressure in the tank because of the temps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply curioustundra, it is interesting you bring up the cylinder heads. I was just talking with my Father in law, who's business owns 5 LPG vehicles, mostly Ford and one Chevy (one F150 has 300K miles!). Besides the hard seated engines he mentioned the F150 and 6.0 Chev cars do not have aluminum heads and run less of a chance of needing new valves or heads. Have you done any research or have an opinion of the use of Aluminum heads being in the line of work you do?

The only Toyota I have seen around town is about an 09 Tundra, and he has about 30K on the system with no issues.

And NSX man, I hear there is little power loss with the new systems and towing. I would imagine if the E85 is a 20% decrease in power LP may be 10%, and you can always switch to gas if you are just taking the boat or trailer out...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

^^^ Yep, I made it to costco in Coon Rapids, the dude working the pumps told me it would probably go up tomorrow. They still had it under $4 a gal, while the holiday next to my house was at 4.29.

I wonder if there is a resource for non-local places to fill up propane at a decent price? we are going to be doing a lot of out of state traveling in the next couple years, and I'm going to run the numbers the best I can to see if over the next few years it would be worth it to do the LP conversion.

Nice to see another MN tundra owner! Any ill effects of the LP when cold? Like a drop in pressure in the tank because of the temps?
I have the number of an account manager that can help you with getting the right price on propane. PM me when you make your decision to convert to popane.
I have not had my sytem running during the winter, but I know of many systems that are fitted and have had no issues. Prins is European and Technocab is Canadian. Both parts of the world share our weather extremes, so I would be very surprised if the systems weren't set up to run properly during winter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Thanks for the reply curioustundra, it is interesting you bring up the cylinder heads. I was just talking with my Father in law, who's business owns 5 LPG vehicles, mostly Ford and one Chevy (one F150 has 300K miles!). Besides the hard seated engines he mentioned the F150 and 6.0 Chev cars do not have aluminum heads and run less of a chance of needing new valves or heads. Have you done any research or have an opinion of the use of Aluminum heads being in the line of work you do?

The only Toyota I have seen around town is about an 09 Tundra, and he has about 30K on the system with no issues.

And NSX man, I hear there is little power loss with the new systems and towing. I would imagine if the E85 is a 20% decrease in power LP may be 10%, and you can always switch to gas if you are just taking the boat or trailer out...
Cast iron heads do not aid in longjevity when running propane. They too will need the appropriate inserts and valve guide materials to ensure they last. Some of the later model Cast iron heads had flame hardened seats but these are generally not good enough for propane.

There is a member of one of the Tundra forums in Europe who has had his tundra on propane for around 80K miles without an issue from memory. Aluminum poses no risk when used with propane. Its all about the valve guide material choice, the inserts and the valves.

I know they have this engine running in Australia with many LPG conversions and I have not heard of any valve recession issues from the people I have asked.
Ultimately time will tell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
trucktank.JPG

I got my lp tank mounted in yesterday! Hope the picture comes through, 60gallon. Should give me close to 750-800 range for about $1.74 gallon. I did learn there are 4 different engine configurations for the injector plugs and not all of them have pre-fab harnesses.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

View attachment 53203

I got my lp tank mounted in yesterday! Hope the picture comes through, 60gallon. Should give me close to 750-800 range for about $1.74 gallon. I did learn there are 4 different engine configurations for the injector plugs and not all of them have pre-fab harnesses.

That looks like one tank size smaller than mine. It may be a 60 Gallon tank but they only hold 80% of their quoted volume. Mine is a 80 gallon tank and the most I have put in when Ive run it out is just over 55 gallons.

Is the propane $1.74 plus tax or including tax?

Either way you wont be looking back. I have put 7000 miles on mine and am averaging close to 12.8MPG of stop start city driving. I have had as high as 13.7MPG around town. I pay $1.50 odd plus tax which works out to just on around $1.90 per galllon. At this price its the equivalent of me getting 20MPG if I were paying $2.96 for gasoline. In MN gas seems to hover around $3.40 + and thats like me getting 23MPG of city driving from $3.40 a gallon gasoline.
I dont undestand why more people arent turning to this as a source of fuel. Apart from the limited choices for filling stations it has everything going for it. I get just on to just over 700 miles from a tank of 55 gallons.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Does it run on propane only or do you still have regular gas as a backup?

It runs on either propane or gasoline, with the push of a button.

In the month + that I have had it there hasnt been a need to switch back to gasoline.

Ive always managed to get to a propane filling station. Gasoline is a last resort. It takes a little planning but with a 700 mile range driving around town, i just make sure I get to a propane station before I run out.

It starts on gasoline when its cold, and switches to propane when it reaches around 110F or so. So it always runs on gasoline at the beginning of the day. When its hot it will start on gasoline for a brief second and switches to propane automatically.

Honestly, you need to keep it in the back of your mind so you dont run out of propane, but otherwise you can run it on gasoline as per normal. If you wanted to, you could run it on gasoline and never switch it back to propane, if that was your prefference, but I dont see why that would be your chosen route unless you like burning dollar bills.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2010 RC Toyota Tundra Propane Conversion

I thought Id post some pics of my Tundra propane conversion for anyone that might be interested. I've had it on the rc truck now for just over a week and used my first tank of propane. The tank is an 80 gallon tank and supposed to hold 80% of its volume. I ran it down to empty and it took 55.1 gallons to fill. I got right on 700 miles from the tank and it cost me $107.20 to fill. I paid $1.54 plus tax per gallon for the propane here in MN
The tank is manufactured by Manchester tanks and the propane system is a VSI Prins system which stands for Vapour Sequentiial Injection . The truck drives pretty much exactly like it does on gas. If anything Id say its a little smoother at idle on propane. In the mornings it will start on gas until it reaches roughly 110F and then automatically switches to propane. This takes about 4 minutes if standing still with an outside temp of 55F. If you turn it off and its still warm it will still start on gas for a split second before switching to propane. You can switch from one fuel to the other at any time by pressing the the button that is part of the propane fuel guage - switch.
The tank cost $1900 odd including tax fitted with all the lines and filler. I pulled the tank after it was fitted painted the tank, made the box around it and covered it with the same material as the Bed Rug I have in my bed. The tank was fitted by Carburetion and Turbo Systems Inc in Shakopee MN. They fit Technocarb Propane sytems but do not fit Prins
Fitting of the prins system came to just over $1900 as well. The Prins system was fitted by Acme Alternate Fuel Systems in Mankato MN. I dont have the cost of the Prins system as it was given to me by my brother. I do know a Technocarb sytem fitted with the tank would have run around $6K.
Last year I had a 2011 DC and I put on near 30K miles. I figure if I keep running up miles like I did last year It will only be a few years before it pays for itself. I plan on keeping my truck for a long time. Both my Tundras got or get around mid 14 to low 15MPG around town. On this tank of propane Im at around 12.7. Thats about right for propane as it doesnt have as much energy as an equal amount of gasoline.
In MN gasoline pricing is currently around $3.60 - $3.70. At $3.60 it would have cost me $168 to run the same miles.
Im thinking of using the truck to do courier work so I expect to run more than 30K miles in a year.

If anyone has any questions Id be happy to answer them.

View attachment 52136 View attachment 52137 View attachment 52138 View attachment 52139 View attachment 52140
Could it be that the area you plan to ride your truck in is too wet and humid?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts