Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new here and have a question for Tundra owners, my 2010 Rock Warrior had its first oil change and tire rotation recently, it has the new style lug nuts that have a keyed socket, not a wheel lock but a sort of splined lug nut. The dealer rotated the tire and at the outside of the hole for the lug nut on all the wheels there are scratches to burrs from the socket or whatever, not in every hole but on 2 or 3 on every wheel.
The manager offer me some kind of service comp or refinishing the wheels, I was going to ask for new wheels but he claims that toyota wheels have a crappy finish and the refinish will last longer, this sounds bogus but the guy was very polite and I dint feel to unclean after I talked to him so before I make a final decision is he right about the finish on my TRD Rock Warrior wheels?
Thanks in advance for any help

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
The clear-coat and/or paint on the Toyota wheels isn't very durable. That's from my experience with the 20" Limited wheels, but if the RW wheels have the same quality paint, then I'm not surprised. The refinish MAY actually be a better option... maybe try to make the deal that if you're not happy with the end result, they buy you a new set of RW wheels and they keep your "refinished" wheels.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the refinished wheels will be fine. wheel repair places redo them all the time, when our benz was wrecked the wrecker driver scraped one and they sent it out and it was flawless...i had all 4 of mine resurfaced after vandals got ahold of my truck last year, and the finish is much better than the OEM finish was on mine....they are the TRD wheels...just let em redo them, u wont be dissapointed. just make sure they dont scratch them putting them back on. oh yeah, the benz dealer scraped two of ours on the benz in the car wash the first month we had it and sent both out and they were flawless then....so no issues, wheel repair/refinish companies do great work. much better than body shops and their paint jobs haha

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info guys, the manager seemed genuine but hes still a car dealer so im always a little leary

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
I have to agree with the rest. The refinished wheels will actually be better than the stock finish. The TRD wheels have had this problem all the way back to '07.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was thinking that, I think black would look good as long as it matched the truck black
They would look something like this:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Agree to let them refinish. Just one more reason to not let the dealer do basic services. I swear every time I take mine in I find something. Usually just grease on the door panel,seat edge or somewhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
those wheels look great in black! I know I should do it myself but I get 2 free years of service and I usually dont have time to do it myself. It just pisses me off that I cant get quality service from the dealer, especially when its part of the deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing happened to me the last time it was in and they ruined my wheel locks on top of it. Service Manager said that the wheel refinishing guy will give me a call and come out to my work to repair the wheels, but I haven't heard from him yet. 2 of my 3 TRD wheels are damaged from the dealer. Sux!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I just bought a full set of TRD wheels w/ BFGs (285/70/17) for 2010 DC, 4x4. After reading this, I will do a pre-inspection prior to dealer service. I too have the 2-yr free maintenance so I will take full advantage of that before I do some of the basic service myself.

I plan on keeping the stock for Summer use and the BFGs in the Winter. I just found out also that only the dealer can reflash my ECU to allow the new wheels to be read and not have that stinking warning light go "On" in your dash. This involves removing the tire from the wheel to obtain the serial number. That's one hour of labor :confused:...

This can be expensive and although I like the feature of the TPMS, I hate the fact the dealers have you by the b*lls :angrywife:.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We just had this happen to ours too but they did more than just scratch the paint there is actual groves in the metal on 2-3 lug holes on all 4 wheels. The dealer didn't seem too bothered by the issue and wants to have the body repair guy "fix them" but from what I was told it sounds like the plan on sanding and re-painting them doesn't sound right to me. Refinishing or repowdercoatting sounds more like how to fix them in my opinion - am I correct? My other question is were other people's grooved as well or just scratched?

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mine are also grooved slightly on the outside radius of most of the lug holes, not just the coating but the aluminum, I have been busy and not contacted the dealership yet but on the advise of everyone here im going to have them refinish the wheels, not at there body shop but at a wheel place and the manager said he would write up some sort of a warranty for the finish.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thank you for the response! We will be asking for the same thing from our dealership.

Are you gong to keep them the same color or change them to black?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im going to ask for black, im also going to see if they will throw in or discount a backup camera as the wheel refinishing is waaaayy cheaper than new wheels

·
Registered
145 Posts
We're thinking about black as well. We already have a back up camera and LOVE IT!!! The screen in the mirror is awesome! We are hoping for some free maintainence.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think you should see if they will get paint them black and refinish them. Man I really like the black idea myself!
I wonder how black RW wheels would look on my truck?? :confused:Any opinions?
Not to hijack this thread..
Please post pics if you get them black and mounted on your truck!

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead but we dropped off our truck at the dealer today to have our rims powder coated to fix the scratches from the dealer. It was a lengthy process to finally get to this point but they are going to powder coat them black for us and we have developed a good rapport with the service manager in the process.

We are supposed to get the truck back on Wednesday and I'll post pictures :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
If we are talking about the actual "holes" where the lug nuts are, I have never owned a vehicle that didn't eventually get scratches and or grooves in this area. Take the wheels off enough times and eventually you will have some marring in these areas. I am stunned the dealer agreed to "fix" it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts