Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We first had a problem with the back window going down and staying down. Local dealership so busy they cannot look at for a while and said parts are going to take weeks. They also said they would have to "replace everything". So I thought I would take a look myself to see how bad things are as I waited. Got the trim off on the inside and then finished for the night. Next day, hatch will not open at all. I tried to see if there was some reset on the MPX door unit but have not been able to find online. I tried holding up the door switch that is right of the steering wheel for 10 seconds (I found that suggestion some place) and then also holding down for 10 seconds. Neither seemed to "clear" the MPX unit. Hard to believe that just taking off the trim would then cause the power door latch to fail. I don't even hear any noise at all when I try to open it. Any suggestions to get it open?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Figured it out myself by fiddling with it - pull up on the left side of the white plastic housing about 3/4" and it will disengage a tab - the pull this small part of the plastic to the left and it will come off. Then there are 2 levers exposed and if you pull on the one, the latch will open. See picture.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you havent figured out thebwindow part yet.
Take a look at the window regulator tracks. When I bought my used one I had the same issue.
They tend to rust up.
The whole regulator assembly is about $250.
Which is not bad.

Mine was still good enough I was able to sand off the surface rust and grease the tracks and it works beautifully now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found out Saturday that one end of the cable is broken. Mine is not rusted that badly so wondering if I can get the cable on its own. The only other worry is that the pulleys at the bottom might be rusted as well - will have to get the tracks out to see about that (next Sat.). Will have to start searching for the cable and/or tracks. I am in Canada so not sure who ships parts into Canada. Any further advice, please share as I certainly don't know it all. Oh, the only thing I know is that the guy at the dealership was dead wrong - he said that the motor was shot - nope, just a bust cable. Another thing you might know - if I can just get replacement cables, is it possible to thread those through the motor or does the cables come with the motor?

Thanks.
Albert

·
Registered
83 Posts
From the pictures I saw it came as a complete assembly motor, cables, and tracks so I was surprised the it was only around $250 from the online pricing I found.
I doubt they only sell the cables but maybe you can get some made.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could not find the cable on its own. I also could not find an aftermarket auto parts place to buy the whole assembly from. So I ended up having to get it from the Toyota dealership - $575 (about $425 US if you are from the US). The only good thing was since I had to take it apart to figure out what was wrong, I felt confident that I could finish the replacement. Took me a few hours but got it done and now everything works slick. I could have maybe got some of the parts off of a wrecker and put it back together, but I am self-employed and so any time spent scrounging around usually ends up costing me in hours put in for the week. In this way, I think I should get another 10 years out of the back window - this time, I plan to have it rustproofed or at least spray it with some oil every few years to cut down on the rust. And oh, the bottom end was pretty rusted when I got it out - the one end broke off after I got it out. And the pulleys on the bottom were all seized up. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey AlbGoFarNorth,

Hello from Sherwood Park AB. I just came across this post and had a couple of questions for you with hopes that your experiences may help solve my problem.

I just replaced the Door Lock Assembly on my 2011 limited since it would no longer keep the rear hatch closed in spite of the motor trying to engage the latch. Turns out the mechanism that grabs onto the door latch was pretty corroded. Anyhow, after having removed the trim to replace the Door Lock Assembly, I ran into the same problem that you described and now the motor to the door latch wont even operate to activate the lock.
I took a look at your picture, and couldn't quite figure out which part you were referring to when you pulled off the white housing, to expose two small levers. Is this on the lock assembly or am I looking in the wrong place? Does that reset the MPX module for the door? or does it simply activate the door lock so that it unlocks when I squeeze the door latch switch?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey AlbGoFarNorth,

Hello from Sherwood Park AB. I just came across this post and had a couple of questions for you with hopes that your experiences may help solve my problem.

I just replaced the Door Lock Assembly on my 2011 limited since it would no longer keep the rear hatch closed in spite of the motor trying to engage the latch. Turns out the mechanism that grabs onto the door latch was pretty corroded. Anyhow, after having removed the trim to replace the Door Lock Assembly, I ran into the same problem that you described and now the motor to the door latch wont even operate to activate the lock.
I took a look at your picture, and couldn't quite figure out which part you were referring to when you pulled off the white housing, to expose two small levers. Is this on the lock assembly or am I looking in the wrong place? Does that reset the MPX module for the door? or does it simply activate the door lock so that it unlocks when I squeeze the door latch switch?

Thanks
Hi,

Sorry for the long delay. I have been swamped with work since the pandemic kicked into high gear. I am an IT guy and both of my client have needed extra help with getting their staff to work remotely. Not sure if you got it going during the last 3 weeks - or have you been snowed in (I have a sister and her family in Sherwood Park so I have been getting pics from her - we are in Ontario on Lake Huron - no snow!).

I am not quite following you - I think you are just asking if removing the housing that I did reset the MPX module or not. As to removal of that white housing, no, it does not. The only reason I had for removing that housing is that I had no other way to get the door open as the motor for the latch was not even activating. So you remove the side of the white housing and pull up on one of the levers and the latch disengages and the door pops open.

If I remember correctly, I also had a problem with the MPX not working after putting everything back together. But sorry, I don't exactly know what I did to get it going - I have a feeling it was just unplugging the harness wiring to the MPX unit and plugging it back in. Sorry but I did not take notes. I think I tried doing the "reset" from the console by the steering wheel using whatever trick was in the book but that did not fix it.

Albert

Albert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts