Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Sequoia LTD and would like to make it more offroad/trial worthy. After our family trip to Inyo/Mammoth and taking random trails, I've decided I would like to make the Sequoia more capable of handling offroad duties. What have others done? A few things to consider, I'll have my wife, 5 yr old son and newborn girl with me on trips. So the setup still has to be road/comfort friendly. I also don't want quirky or high maintainance setup and I'm willing to spend money to do things right the first time (within reason).

Tires - I'm thinking that tires will go a long way. The Alenza's are great hwy tires but poor offroad. I'm debating about using the stock rims or just getting aftermarket 18" or 20". Here are some thoughts;
275/60/20 (33") or 285/60/20 (33.5")
275/70/18 (33.2") or 285/70/18 (33.7")
BFG's seem to be a popular choice. How about the Nitto Grappler's or Toyo Open Country's AT's? What construction/load should I look for? Anyone have experience with the largest size available without rubbing either on lock/lock turning or on the upper control arm?

Lift/Suspension - I ended up running out of ground clearance when I high centered in packed snow. 2-3" of more clearance would have been nice. Here is what I'm thinking;
Mild ($400ish) - Get a simple lift kit (Rev Tech's) and keep the same shocks and springs
Medium ($700ish) - Bilstein 5100's c/o's front, Bilstein shock rears w/ stock springs and spacer
Aggressive ($1600ish) - Icon c/o's front, Bilstein shock rears w/ stock springs and spacer

Suspension arms - I've seen a couple of upper control arms setups for the Tundra. Will they fit the Sequoia? Is it necessary?

I would like to try the Cerro Gordo Rd/Salt Tram. Has anyone done it in a Sequoia or other full size vehicle? How difficult is the trip? Would you take your family?

Anything else I should consider? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

steven

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
First, a lift is key. It will help you clear larger tires and therefore increase your ground clearance.

If you want to dip your toe into life with a lifted SUV, try the Revtek. I actually have mine for sale for $190, so that's about half price instead of paying $400. I only had it on the truck for about a week.

If you find that you really like riding high on AT tires but want to experience coilovers, then you can upgrade to coilovers and find the Revtek a new home. You will be pleased with the quality of this kit.

Definitely stick with all terrains for ride comfort. I ran the Terra Grapplers and they are pretty well mannered for not being a street radial, wear very well, and are reasonably priced. If you do a search for threads started by me, you'll see pics of my Sequoia with the Revtek kit and 33 inch Nittos. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
We like to play in the Smoky Mtns and are going to visit beaches that have four-wheel drive only areas as well as various Nat. Parks. I will be switching the tires out next month going with 17" wheels and 285/70/17 Kumhos. I ran D rating on a Z71 and can assure you that there is a great sacrifice in ride. Won't do that again. Next will be Camburg coilover and control arms (3" lift @ $1400) and rear coil space with HD bilsteins (2" lift and $330). This is a tad much for what we are planning and therefore a comfortable way to go. Will likely add a front runner and lights as well as second battery (have had that in the past and liked it). ThirdHorseman sure has a sweet setup!

·
14 SR5 Sequoia 4x4
117 Posts
I run an 06 Sequoia off road all the time and love it. Might be a little smaller than yours but a totally great vehicle for hauling people and the trailer out in the boonies then 4x4ing in the area.

I love the UCA and C/O lift in front. Amazing at absorbing offroad challenges and increases articulation/travel a little bit (I understand a spacer lift can actually reduce travel. Some pics here.

Have gone through the stock highway tires, Pirelli Scorpion ATR's, Nitto Tera Grapplers and now have BFG TA KO. Should have gone with the BFG from the beginning. I have trashed a lot of highway tires on the trail. Another suggestion: always keep a stocked Safety Seal tire plug kit with you. I air down to at least 16 for comfort and traction so have a ViAir (300p I think) portable compressor for airing up.

I'm doing the Cerro Gordo trail this summer with a group. I have done trails rated 5 and 6 in the Backcountry Adventures Guide a book I highly recommend. However, My goal is to see interesting remote places not conquer tedious and difficult roads. Even the 5 rated Cerro Gordo has only a few places that are difficult and really benefit from the lift and tires. Most of it is just easy dirt track. If it was 20 miles of boulders and shale, I would do it even though I could - not fun for me. But a bit of a challenge is fun and I don't want it to separate me from my destination. Check link in signature and look at Old Dale Mining Road video or Dumont Dunes for some fun stuff.

As a rule, it a stock Hummer can do a trail, I can easily do it too.

Bit of an old tread... what did you decide to do?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought a set of take-offs from a Tundra (18's) and slapped a set of BFG TA KO's on there also. When there's snow or we head to the mountains, I swap out the stockers. Love the BFG's. Have them on my Raptor and that's what sold me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a change of mind based on feedback from others and am very pleased.
The ride is not at all harsh and the difference off-road is significant (positive).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts