Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Sequoia Platinum which is at about 140k miles now and in need of new shocks/struts. I talked to some auto parts stores and they only carry the non-air suspension versions. I called a dealership and they want 240/ea for the front struts and 640/ea for the rears + about $900 in labor to install. Total is about $2700.

Question – what are my other options?

I have seen some threads talking about converting just to standard struts and coil, but would this trigger all sorts of suspension related codes? Are there any other aftermarket vendors selling the air-suspension versions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great topic. I have the exact same year and model. 147K. I just started researching this very topic. Hopefully we can find the best solution.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I installed some bilstein 5100’s on our 2012 Platinum. No codes at all, and the rear shocks are holding up. I really expected to blow them out pretty quickly. It’s been over a year probably 30,000 miles.

I’m planning to convert to rear coils when / if I have air problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes I would get new top hats for the front struts. The hole is larger on the stock electronic shocks and the shaft will push through the rubber bushing after a few days. I bought the kyb brand.

I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Anything special for the rears with the air? Do you reuse the air stuff? I'm totally ignorant how it is setup, but the guy at Firestone said I have to stick to factory or my dash will "light up".

·
Registered
102 Posts
Anything special for the rears with the air? Do you reuse the air stuff? I'm totally ignorant how it is setup, but the guy at Firestone said I have to stick to factory or my dash will "light up".

Simply unplug the electrical connector and remove the shock. Install the new shock. I dielectric greased the plug and taped it up and zip tied it out of harms way. No lights on my 2012. I was actually surprised at that but I wasn’t spending $1200 for the factory shocks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The first picture is your airbag. It is under the corrugated cover.

The second picture is your shock absorber and that is what I changed.

If / when I have an air bag problem I’m planning on swapping it over to coil springs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don’t know what the sport setting feels like. The shocks were bad when I bought it. I was shocked to find out the replacement cost. If I had known that, I would have got the dealer (out of state Acura dealer) to change them before I picked it up.

You can run any shock on the front that is for a sequoia or tundra. The rear will need to be for a sequoia with the coil suspension. I know there is a Trd kit for the tundra but I’m not sure what is available for the sequoia. I looked everywhere for an oem replacement aftermarket shock for the air suspension and came up empty. I even talked to fox to try to get them to custom valve a set for me but they were not interested.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don’t know what the sport setting feels like. The shocks were bad when I bought it. I was shocked to find out the replacement cost. If I had known that, I would have got the dealer (out of state Acura dealer) to change them before I picked it up.

You can run any shock on the front that is for a sequoia or tundra. The rear will need to be for a sequoia with the coil suspension. I know there is a Trd kit for the tundra but I’m not sure what is available for the sequoia. I looked everywhere for an oem replacement aftermarket shock for the air suspension and came up empty. I even talked to fox to try to get them to custom valve a set for me but they were not interested.

Thanks for all the help @mrmachinist. When the shocks went out on my 2010 just recently @ 180k I got the same sticker shock for the OEMs. Even with employee pricing the Platinum Sequoia rear shocks with Adaptive Variable Suspension would cost me $615 per side not including installation.

I’m going ahead and getting the 5100s for the back. What all did you do to the front if you don’t mind me asking? I saw on a previous post here you put new top hats, did you also put any spacers? From what Ive read here the Bilstein 6112 w/ Revtek 442 spacers fit the front.
^I’m just preparing to do front and back as my trailer kid the stock shocks already.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for all the help @mrmachinist. When the shocks went out on my 2010 just recently @ 180k I got the same sticker shock for the OEMs. Even with employee pricing the Platinum Sequoia rear shocks with Adaptive Variable Suspension would cost me $615 per side not including installation.

I’m going ahead and getting the 5100s for the back. What all did you do to the front if you don’t mind me asking? I saw on a previous post here you put new top hats, did you also put any spacers? From what Ive read here the Bilstein 6112 w/ Revtek 442 spacers fit the front.
^I’m just preparing to do front and back as my trailer kid the stock shocks already.
The sequoia is for my wife. She did not want it lifted at all. I talked her into 1” of lift so I could run the 5100’s on the front as well. You will need new top hats for a non platinum sequoia or a tundra. Either will work. The top hats for the adjustable shocks have a larger center hole and the shock shaft will end up pushing the bushings through ( I found out the hard way).

My tundra has 6112’s on the top setting with a thin shim on the driver side to get rid of the tundra lean, Tuff Country UCA, 5100 rear shocks, and 1” lift shackles. I love the setup but I ended up with 2.75” of lift in the front.

Any tundra shock will work in the front and give you the amount of lift you would want up to around 3”. In the 2.5-3” range you will most likely need new UCAs to get enough caster in the alignment. I am unsure about how to lift the rear of a Sequoia. I never looked into it, but I’m assuming you can get spacers or something. Swapping the rear airbags for coil springs is also an option. I am prepared to do that when I ha e an air bag problem. It will cost about $1000 in new parts from Toyota but it will be cheaper than fixing the air system.

·
Registered
488 Posts
From what Ive read here the Bilstein 6112 w/ Revtek 442 spacers fit the front.
Revtek 442 spacers are to lift the stock Platinum suspension with the electronic variable shocks. If you put Bilstein 6112 or 5100 struts on the front, either will give some amount of lift; you don't need the Revtek 442 kit with either one.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hey All, Thanks for the info on this thread. I'm in the same boat and going back and forth between factory rear or removing and adding coils. I had a couple of questions on this and would love some insight. I don't do a lot of off roading but would like to have a bit softer suspension to handle some mild 4x4 or beat up fire roads out here in CO. last i tried i thought i was going to buck my dog out the back window...but I tow a travel trailer (about 4500 fully loaded) more often than i would off road. i never really noticed the difference between the sport/normal/comfort setting and don't really care if those don't work going forward. I do like having the leveling for towing. Can i still get the benefits of the leveling (with the air bag) and replace the rear shocks with some Bilsteins (or something similar)? in a perfect world something like a 1.5-2" lift with some 33" tires would be all the offroad i need...Or another direction would be to go with the factory rear replacement add something like the revtech lift and add some Bilsteins in the front. I'm just not sure i would get the off road benefits with the factory suspension.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts