Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We have a 2010 Sequoia. My wife experienced a problem with the rear window yesterday. When she went to open it, she says it opened on a slight diagonal. After a bit of fiddling, the glass itself has now disappeared entirely within the door. I cannot close it, but when I activate the switch I can hear the motor, so it's got to be something else. My best guess is that some sort of clamp (for lack of a better term) that holds the window and connects it to the motor has either broken or that the window has come off of that clamp.

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would suggest starting with the removal of the interior panel and looking inside for proper assessment.
Should be easy enough to do. Atleast that's a good starting point.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sequoia Platinum (Used)
2 Posts
From personal experience, the how it happened. When the rear window is down even an inch to let air in for the dogs, and you open and close the rear hatch, the window is prone to come off the track. The first time (down and inch) it slid tilted at an angle, the second time (yes twice) the window was down all the way and the windows "disappeared" into the door. Since you can't raise or lower the window with the door up, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place if you realize the window is down and the hatch door is up.

I removed the rear panel, as suggested in previous post, and found the window had slipped from the guide. I gorilla glued an additional 1" piece to each guide along with a sticker that says window up on the dash hatch release that says "window up?". Really can not vouch for a permanent solution as I really don't want to do a heck of a lot of testing. The window still goes up and down with guides installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

We have a 2010 Sequoia. My wife experienced a problem with the rear window yesterday. When she went to open it, she says it opened on a slight diagonal. After a bit of fiddling, the glass itself has now disappeared entirely within the door. I cannot close it, but when I activate the switch I can hear the motor, so it's got to be something else. My best guess is that some sort of clamp (for lack of a better term) that holds the window and connects it to the motor has either broken or that the window has come off of that clamp.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Hi,

We have a 2010 Sequoia and in our case, it was worse than just the window sliding off the tracks - one of the cables had rusted through so that even if the motor worked and the cables seemed to be moving, nothing happened as one end of the cable was rusted off. And the reason it probably rusted off is that there is a pulley at the bottom of each rail that the cable goes around and it was all rusted through. In the end, the whole assembly was not salvageable so I had to buy the whole unit from Toyota and install it. But that was not that bad because by the time I figured out what was wrong, I pretty well had the windows assembly removed anyhow. Saved me about $500 replacing it myself (the assembly was $575 at the dealership - in Canadian dollars). There were a couple tricks to getting it in and out but in the end, not that bad of a job. During the time that the assembly was broken, I was able to push the window up and then I put two small blocks of wood below the window itself to hold the window up so we could drive it - the blocks of wood were held there by small 1" c-clamps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts