Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone weigh in on this for me?

I bought a 2010 crewmax and asked to have a back-up camera added. I took my truck in last week and the dealership installed a camera that mounts above the license plate instead of in the tailgate.

The salesman quoted the camera at $899. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct camera for this price?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Can someone weigh in on this for me?

I bought a 2010 crewmax and asked to have a back-up camera added. I took my truck in last week and the dealership installed a camera that mounts above the license plate instead of in the tailgate.

The salesman quoted the camera at $899. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct camera for this price?

Thanks in advance
Sounds like you got the $99 Target special installed. For $899 you should be getting the factory version with overhead display and tailgate handle camera... and some extras. $899 seems outrageous.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
wheres the monitor/display? nav unit or the overhead display or rearview mirror display? but either way, the camera for that price should be a factory camera in the tailgate handle... now if they let u sign crap saying u are paying 900 bucks for a universal camera then they pulled it over on you big time.

·
Supporter
111 Posts
Just bought and installed one of those license plate cameras off eBay to my aftermarket Nav on my Tacoma. Color with night vision...? and it is a really nice camera....$1 plus some shipping, direct from Hong Kong....so $899.00 seem a little high, even with a display.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i bought a rostra (oem style, also what toyota sold after they stopped making them) overhead monitor and universal camera for 100 bucks. so 900 is alot too much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't actually pay the $899 thats just the price they quoted before we started dealing. I did get the auto dimming mirror with display but thought $899 was on the high side. While researching some I found a post (think it was from or on the Sparks website) about an OEM camera costing $1700. Thanks for everyones input

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought my OEM camera and monitor for my 08 DC on Ebay for 300.00 shipped. Installed in 30 minutes. Sounds like they got you, plate camera is not OEM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just heard back from the dealer and they are ordering the parts to install the tailgate camera. thanks again guys

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm very interested in adding a camera to my new truck. Just curious about you guys that have an aftermarket camera. Where is the monitor located? And can you point me to some links with similar products?
I'd really love to have a camera with monitor in mirror, along with homelink, but prices I've seen seem steep.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Just a thought, you can get a Rostra camera that mounts just like the factory one, uses the stock wiring, and replaces your rear view mirror for $670. 2010 TUNDRA BACKUP MIRROR 3.5 W/AUTO DIM- CAMERA 2010TUNBKUPAUTDM I have this one and I LOVE it. It takes literally 15-30 minutes to install yourself. The only thing that makes the factory camera better is the 3 year warranty and the little lines that show you if you are backing up at an angle. Save yourself the $230 and go buy a sway bar =)!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have an aftermarket Kenwood DVD/NAV head unit. It has an input in the rear for a back up camera. I'd like to install the OEM tailgate camera and connect it to this unit. What all would I need to do this? Any special wiring harness or connectors needed? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just picked up a camera system for my 2010 CM off of ebay for $610 with free shipping. Its a Gentex mirror/monitor with homelink, auto-dim, and compass, and a rostra tailgate camera that requires the tailgate handle to be drilled out for the install.

I'm wondering - does anyone know if the Rostra camera will fit into the OEM handle that is pre-formed for the factory camera? Just wondering if there's another way to install the camera and avoid having to drill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts