Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im an old 4Runner owner and am looking for a new fullsize truck. Ive been looking at the Tundra Platinum and the Sierra Denali but I am kind of confused between the two. I do like the look of Denali too but at the same time I like the Tundras looks too. So I am looking for your guys honest opinion to help me with this. Some Pros and Cons would be great and real life opinions from someone who has driven or compared both of the trucks. Also, I am in Canada so I dont get all the nice Incentives that you have in the States. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Toyota site or not, feature for feature the GMC probably wins out here. I need the bed-length GM won't offer in a half-ton or I'd be driving one today. None of 'em have all the answers,why aren't you including the Ford in your search?

·
Registered
46 Posts
my dad has a 2009 GMC and my toyota will outpull it and run circles around it, but it has the 5.3L and i think the denali comes with the 6.2L so power should be compareable. i know that the GMC does not have the 430 rear end so the low end power on the denali wont be as good, but the denali's do ride great. Plus toyota has a 6.5ft bed and chevy doesnt offer that. Chevy also doesnt offer the Crewmax. Either way you'll enjoy whichever one you buy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I love the Tundra it is a great truck. The Denali just looks stick but that's looks. As far as performance I myself would go with a TUNDRA, 2 cents.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well I didn't have a Denali but rather a Silverado. I had way too many things go wrong with the Silverado for a 2005 truck that I purchased new and took really good care of.

I had the same gears (4.10) in both and the 4.6 in my Tundra is quicker and more powerful than the 5.3 in my Silverado and I even had the aluminum heads on the Silverado. I also get better mileage with the Tundra. Ride was smoother in the Chevy but not by a tremendous amount.

I'd recommend riding in them both to see which you prefer.

·
Registered
754 Posts
well the in my opinion the denali I dont like any kind of the interior of GMs or fords....even with the slacking on toyotas part I still feel toyota builds more sturdier plastic, more rigid doors when closing, etc..vs gm or ford. seems the longer a car company has been around the more cheap crap they have in their...you know that cheap feeling well to me gm and ford have that.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
youre virtually even on the power train. the tundra will tow a little better with heavy stuff. the pros i found with the denali are
-AWD, so you dont have to put it in 4x4 to get away from the curb in winter time, like you do with the tundra. tundras open diff is worthless.
-heated steering wheel
-power pedals
-just much better options overall.

the pros with the tundra
-availability of bigger box, if you go with a DC instead of CM.
-TRD S/C with warranty if you want it.
-roll down rear window in the CM
-availability of 200,000km warranty

it pretty much comes down to what things you value in a truck. i bought the tundra, and realized afterwards, i wouldve much rather had the denali. but my tundra will be paid off in 2 weeks, so im too far into it to change now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't include Ford because of the powertrain. If it had a newer more powerful engine in it then I would be looking at a harley edition. I am leaning towards the Tundra but at the same time the GMC does look really nice and has nice options in it. My cousin has a 2009 Silverado Ltz and that thing is really nice and thats what got me looking at the Denali because they are similar. I like the how the Tundra crewmax has the reclining rear seat, Power sliding rear window and I loved that on my 4Runner. Has anyone driven both of them? If yes, which one handles better? How is the Tundra in the winter on snow and ice? I would go and drive both of them but no dealer in my area has a crewmax platinum tundra or a Denali.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I personally think it comes down to personal taste on the look and feel. I don't think there is a major difference between the two from a functionality standpoint.

For me I liked the roll down rear window. (even though I hardly use now that I have it)

I didn't measure but the rear seat room seems to be much more in the Tundra Crewmax than the Crewcab GM.

The Nav's are about the same to me. I prefer my iPhone over both.

They both have big engine's so they both have similar pep in my opinion.

For street driving the Denali AWD obviously wins.

The Tundra has a bigger glove box and console.

I like the way the Tundra exterior looks better and I like the interior of the Tundra Platinum better but mainly because I like the redrock interior color and GM doesn't offer it. This was my primary motivation, that and the back seat room. I also wanted something different I was getting bored with GM. From overall looks, The Denali looks nicer in all colors that are the same. The panels are a little better quality in the Denali over all too.

I have a 2008 Escalade too and most people think my truck is just as nice on the inside even though the Escalade does have higher quality panels. Just don't mistake the Tundra "Platinum" quality for Lexus quality like some dealers claim. They are worlds apart.

The final decision I would have if I was buying today is that I would refuse to buy a vehicle from a manufacturer that the US government owns. I already have the Escalade and like it but I will not buy another GM product as long as the government retains control. This is more than political too. I think you will see the way GM operates start to change significantly. So far the government has not run anything well.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Don't you think coming to a Toyota site and asking that question you would get a biased answer ?
Not necessarily. Some of us actually have the ability to be impartial. We're in the minority, but anyone who is intelligent enough to not swear "loyalty" to a mega corporation usually has something worthy to add to these types of conversations. :)

After owning a 2007 Tundra and 2008 Sequoia, I took a look at the 2010 Sierra Denail. Despite the extremely unprofessional reception I received from a very high volume GM dealer in my area (took more time slamming Toyota than telling me about the Sierra!) I still gave the truck a fair shake.

Here are my thoughts:

• A column shifter on a truck in this price range? Yuck, no thanks.
  • I'm not a Tundra "fanboi" and hate many aspects of our interiors. But, still beats the Denali interior materials. I thought the wood in the 2010 Limiteds are ugly, but the Denali wood pattern makes it look like a piece of Chippendale lol.
  • AWD on a truck is just pissing away money in NJ's climate. Total waste of fuel economy (and I own an AWD sedan).
  • Loved the heated steering wheel on the Sierra! Very nice option at a great cost.
  • Even though both companies are in some kind of trouble, I'll take a safety recall snafu over a company that had to be bought by the government *shudder*
  • Resale values of GM. My Sequoia ended up being the lease depreciating vehicle I have ever owned, followed by my Tundra and then Honda Accord and Acura TL. I didn't want to take a chance on the General.
  • Trucks are very well matched in terms of performance.
  • Exterior looks are both very attractive as far as I'm concerned. The Sierra is more of the traditional boxy truck style while the Tundra has curves that make it look more imposing (but also more polarizing).
  • Interior feels MUCH roomier on the Crewmax, can't say about the doublecab.
  • Toyota navigation is probably the worst I've ever had the displeasure of using. GM wins in that area.
In the end, I went with another Tundra. I'm still not loyal to anyone besides myself, my family, and God. :) I just think it's a good truck that best meets my needs within the 1/2 ton truck class.

Best of luck with whichever you decide.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 07 GMC had the roof molding fall off, vibration that could never be fixed, transmission leak, engine oil leak, both rear u-joints went out, and about once a month the engine would misfire while driving down the highway. Also was sent a letter about a TSB, but I decided to just get rid of it instead of taking it in to the dealer again. You could have better luck than me though.

·
Registered
848 Posts
i just went through this a few weeks ago .. i was ready to pull the trigger on a denali i liked how it drove but dollar for dollar the tundra makes more sense so i ended up getting a 08 crewmax limited instead of a 2010 denali oh yeah and the biggest one of them all was that my girlfriend said "i wont drive with you in that gmc" haha! she is more of a toyota fan then i am but i feel i made the right choice for me .. now you on the other hand might like the denali more... its really up to you

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a previous generation Denali(2006), that had a 6.0L, awd, front leveled with 285/60r20 duratacs, loved it but with 86,000 miles it started to nickel and dime me to death and I could get parts for cost and did most of the work my self.

The new denali's are awesome if you want awd and you never plan on leaving the street and do not drive in snow or mud because the current awd system doesn't control the torque bias at the transfer case anymore. It operates similar to current tundra's vsc system and applies brake preasure to control wheel spin.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
*The Tundra CrewMax has much more room in the back (as has already been pointed out).

*The Tundra's rear-window goes down completely (also mentioned)... and it may not sound like a big deal, but it's really nice on a nice day to have it down all the way - especially if you plan on adding a camper-top; you can have a pass through.

*The GMC's 6.2L will just barely out-perform the Tundra 5.7 in acceleration/speed/etc... but NOT towing....the Tundra wins in that category.

*Personally, I don't like the Platinum edition for the Tundra. I don't like the wheels, and I don't like the grill. If it was my money, I'd find a nicely equipped Limited Tundra, but without the Navigation (as someone mentioned, the Tundra's NAV isn't that great)... and add a nice after-market Nav unit if you still want one. Otherwise, the stock radio does pretty well as a radio, and you can add a dash-mounted GPS unit if u need one.

*I also agree that I'm not a fan of the GM's interiors at all....such a non-imaginative use of the space in the cab for storage, pockets, etc... And while the Tundra may draw some criticism for some of the interior parts, I think it's put together very well...

*The bed size between the Tundra & the GMC are virtually the same, so getting the GMC will give you LESS space, since the inside is much smaller.

*Looks are subjective... go with what u like. I like them both, but I like the Tundra better.

*Resale will likely be better with the Tundra (already mentioned)

*Tundra has available TRD-Supercharger (already mentioned) that bumps #'s to 504hp/550tq - SWEET! And, it maintains factory warranties... this can be done for roughly $5000-6000, which depending on purchase price, could be had for the same price as the Denali.

*Tundra has selectable 2wd/4wd instead of the AWD system in the Denali.. (already mentioned)... your MPG's may suffer with the AWD vs 2wd.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Weighing in for impartiality here: I'm driving an 03 Silverado 4x4, X-cab, long bed for work for a few months. The truck led a VERY abused life before me. VERY abused. Off roading, heavy loads, hard driving. I got it with 135K. It's likely never had anything other than tires and oil changes. There's occasional detectable transmission slippage and the rear leaves are almost flat from overloading but it still rides and handles relatively smoothly despite it all and has kept chugging right along without major problems. I doubt the the thing has ever so much as had the tranny pan dropped and it's been beat on plenty of times in 100 degree-plus temps so I don't begrudge it some transmission slippage at 135 thousand miles.

There's some decent Yokahomas on it so I've thrown some moderately tough off roading at it, forcing it through some areas that I thought might give such a long wheel base truck problems. It goes through pretty much anything it has the clearance for without complaint. Everything inside still works fine and nothing inside has fallen off yet. The interior has no pizazz or anything but it doesn't scracth up as easily as the one in my Tundra and it isn't ugly.

I'd say a bad reliability experience is possible either way, but I got a little newfound respect for the GM trucks. I wouldn't mind something where I could hit poor traction situations, keep through it, hit pavement again, keep going, and so on and so fourth without always hitting a switch. I have had two different 4wd trucks and used 4hi plenty of times. I can't think of any time where I've ever had the need for 4lo. I can think of plenty of times where the roads were fine but the parking spots were covered in snow and I felt kind of dumb having to flip the switch just to pull into or out of a spot then flip it back again.

Look at what features you want and which truck gives you more of what you want at a reasonable price. I don't think you can go wrong either way. If the truck will see tougher terrain I'd probably go for the Toyota before I'd go for the Denali. If the truck is going to be a heavy dedicated tow vehicle, seems like the Toyota would be a better choice as you can get some towing-related features more easily on the Toy than you can on the Sierra. Seems like the Denali is a good jack-of-all trades luxury half-ton with all-weather capability while if you're planning to be particularly abusive in a couple different areas the Toyota is better.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
It was nearly a coin toss for me in '07 between the Tundra and Denali, here's what swayed ME:

Features/Mechanicals:

Crew max of the Tundra EASILY trumps the GMC for comfort.

Rather have 4WD than AWD. (low range) This advantage is now moot since GM offers their TOL drivetrain in "lesser" models now.

Still think the Toy's brakes are superior to GM's. (even though some here have not not had good luck concerning warpage)

Toy ring gear is a medium duty unit from Hino that is way overbuilt for a 1/2 ton.

On to the objective:

When pickuptrucks.com did their comparo, the Tundra actually outperformed one 6.2L while being edged by the other 6.2L (they had a Chevy and GMC) so performance is a toss up. But to get that performance out of a GM 6.2l you have to run premium fuel and get a MPG or 2 less!!!

The Toy's "worthless" LSD outperformed GM's locker on GM's own test track!!! It all depends on the specific conditions.......yes, I'd rather have a real locker; but not necessarily GM's weak kneed Eaton unit.

Subjectively, the Sierra is a better looking truck.....inside and out. But I added a wood kit, and Wet Okoles which to ME closed the gap looks wise. (even though I never actually hated the plain silver Tundra dash)

Also, IMO, the Denali OR top of the line Tundra is a waste of coin for ME simply because I'd rather customize my truck and not get forced into worthless options like sunroofs or NAV systems that need to be upgraded yearly at the cost of a good portable unit. I also like to pick my own wheel and tire combo rather than get an over used factory set up.

So far I've added factory back up camera and a homelink mirror at a fraction of what Toy wanted.

Even though I went with Wet Okoles, I also think the aftermarket leather is better than both makers' factory stuff.

One huge misconception is that the Tundra has substantially lower gearing (which that tool, Mike Levine mistakingly pointed out in his test).

When transmission ratios are factored in, the OVERALL gearing is very close.

Now to the personal:

My wife was in a horrific accident this week where some bimbo rear ended her Lincoln MKZ at 65+ MPH......she was nearly stopped. Car is history but did save my wife's life.

Been on the phone constantly with Allstate and the subject of Toyota came up. Claims rep said she's totalled 2 Tundras in the last month and they've lost thousands in value do to the mass-hysteria. That doesn't mean that in the future it won't come back, but right now our trucks are suffering value wise.

I'm 100% happy with my decision and think the Tundra is the best VEHICLE (not just truck) I've ever owned.

I think it'd be a more difficult decision now that the Sierra (not the Denali)can be had with the 6.2L.......so it may come down to bottom line $$$$. OR the reclining back seats/overall room seating of the Toy may still win out if they're close money wise.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I didn't include Ford because of the powertrain. If it had a newer more powerful engine in it then I would be looking at a harley edition. I am leaning towards the Tundra but at the same time the GMC does look really nice and has nice options in it. My cousin has a 2009 Silverado Ltz and that thing is really nice and thats what got me looking at the Denali because they are similar. I like the how the Tundra crewmax has the reclining rear seat, Power sliding rear window and I loved that on my 4Runner. Has anyone driven both of them? If yes, which one handles better? How is the Tundra in the winter on snow and ice? I would go and drive both of them but no dealer in my area has a crewmax platinum tundra or a Denali.
Ford does have 2 new engine combos that are available this month: 6.2L gas and 6.7L diesel...both are brand new engines for Ford thou...I'd probably wait a year til they get the kinks out...

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
...I'm driving an 03 Silverado 4x4, X-cab, long bed for work.... I got it with 135K. It's likely never had anything other than tires and oil changes....
Just curious... if you got it with 135k miles, how can you say it's likely never had anything other than tires and oil changes ???

But, I agree that sometimes it's all in the individual vehicle, and not the entire product line. I've had (apparently) good luck with most of my cars. However, I CAN say that the cars I had the most problems with were GM's. These were older cars, but I still remember it... My old Cutlass' engine seized just after 100k miles, and my LeSabre T-Type's $250 alternator went out twice on me, not to mention the exhaust manifold gasket, which was an expensive fix as well.

I can still happily say that my '07 Tundra & now my '10 have been problem free. However, as I've said before, I only put about 12k miles on my '07, and now only have about 3k miles on this '10.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts