Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Tundra 4WD DBL Cab with the Large V8 and towing package. Rated for 10,300 lbs. I am looking at a Jayco Eagle Super Light TT that weighs in dry weight at 7700 lbs and is 35 ft long. Has anyone here had any experience pulling a trailer of this size behind their Tundra? I will occassionally be pulling up Black Mtn. in North Carolina on I-40, it is a very steep grade. I am not worried so much about the trip up but the trip down either side. I would like to hear from anyone with experience of pulling something this size behind their Tundra. I plan on getting the anti sway kit and cam kit to level the trailer with the truck. What say you? Thanks for your help in advance. Looking forward to doing some camping.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Whats the "curb" weight of your camper?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I tow a 27Ft toy hauler with my 5.7L double cab, weighs ~8K when loaded been through the Rocky's twice with it now, two complete trips, so i guess four times in that case, engine/tran temps never really move at all.

The Tundra does a real good job towing, put and leave it in tow haul mode and drop down into fourth gear using the sequential shift before climbing a steep grade and it'll get you there with no problem, its still got a fair amount of passing power too. When going down steep grades or just stopping at traffic lights use the sequential shift mode to gear down and the engine brake will help you avoid using the truck/trailer brakes and in the long run make them last longer and avoid just burning them up.

A trailer brake controller is pretty much mandatory for that kinda weight especially on steep grades. Towing mirrors are a big plus two the'll help you see down the side of the long trailer and cuts down on blind spots, and with the clearance/mirror signal lights they make you more visible too. Sway bars are a nice add on too if your looking for a less trailer sway, i don't have the TRD sway bar and Ive never really had any trailer sway but im sure sway bars couldn't hurt ya. haha

Safe and happy towing.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Whats the "curb" weight of your camper?

Curb and "dry" weight are one in the same.

His "gross" weight is what I'd be concerned with.

I'm guessing a 7700# trailer will have a GVWR of aprox. 9900#'s.

So after filling up your trailer with all its goodies.....water, supplies, food etc.... and you get anywhere near that 9900 pounds, that leaves you 400 pound for your passengers and all the neat stuff inside your truck....including fuel, supplies etc.

Nowhere in this diatribe did I say that your/our Tundras can't do it.....but I am pointing out that you are very close if not over your CGVWR if you load that trailer to its limit.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Curb and "dry" weight are one in the same.

Sorry chief... on some of the boating forums I visit, we call "curb weight" the actual loaded weight of the rig ready to roll for the weekend.... You know, sitting on the curb and ready!

If his dry rig is 7700 lbs... I bet he's exceeding 10K... but thats not a fact, just an opinion.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Sorry chief... on some of the boating forums I visit, we call "curb weight" the actual loaded weight of the rig ready to roll for the weekend.... You know, sitting on the curb and ready!

If his dry rig is 7700 lbs... I bet he's exceeding 10K... but thats not a fact, just an opinion.

Interesting..........I've always gone by curb weight is what something weighs when empty, "Gross" weight is what it can weigh. (legally)

Funny thing is a quick google search shows your way as acceptable also...:tu:

Here's one of the different variations:
http://www.toyota.com/upfitters/pdfs/specs/DefinitionOfTerms3_20_07.pdf

·
Registered
63 Posts
I tow a Jayco Jayflight G2 31RKS with my 2008 DC 2x4. It is 33' 8" long, weighs 6800 lbs dry and has a cargo capacity of 2200 lbs. So fully loaded with all my gear and a full tank of fresh water it could go 9000 lbs. I haven't hit that yet. More like 8500 lbs. However with a WDH with sway control I have no problems. There is plenty of power for grades and it is one of the most stable towing configurations I have ever used. I love this truck!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Look in the towing section for more threads on the topic, but you're going to hit the payload rating before you hit the combined weight rating. That's the Achilles heel of 1/2-ton trucks. That said, I'd pay attention to hitch rating and rear axle load vs ratings and stay within those. Power won't be an issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts