Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, New to the forum . bought my first tundra.What size is this wrench? I bought a 65mm/14 and its too small , swapped it for a 65/67mm/14 flute and its too big. Thanks... Rob

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah... We have a fun oil filter to change... Many topics on this one.

I bought the walmart 65/67 and cut about 1/4 - 1/2" off the top to get it to sit correctly. (I made a few cuts as the first one wasn't enough, but be careful as cutting too much off will make the filter wrench worthless. This was suggested by another member and it worked for me. Careful doing this, I had a chop saw and a vice to help me out. Don't blame me if ya' take some fingers off doing this.

·
Registered
722 Posts
After a bunch of reading what everybody liked about these things,I bought a KD #3253,got from Amazon,under $10.00, metal and even made in America!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I know I'll get jumped for this, but here it goes:

I'm on about my 10th oil change with my truck. A few times back, I just started tightning the 3/8 square "drain" plug a tad tighter.

Now the whole cartridge comes off by using a 3/8 ratchet and short extension. The oil that comes out of the canister is no more or less than a normal vertically mounted spin on filter.

In other words, I haven't had that cartridge drain plug out in about 15,0000 miles+.

I have also cheated a few times by leaving the big o-ring on and just cleaning real well with carb/brake cleaner and lightly greasing the o-ring. No leaks and I'm not worried since in many appications, o-rings are supposed to be re-usable unless damaged.

I recall many people complaining about the mess with that stupid plastic drain thingy. This thread is a repeat of the hard to find spanner size. (even though early on, I did find some that actually worked)

My oil changes may run a whopping 1 minute longer than my spin on cartridge equipped vehicles.......the difference of pulling out the old filter out, liberally cleaning with carb/brake cleaner, and inserting new filter.

With my boy helping today, we changed the oil; swapped rims and tires; changed rear brake pads (not as ez as the fronts but simple none the less) in less than 1 hour.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Finally ran out of dealer oil changes and I remembered this thread from years ago thankfully. :) I ordered the Assenmacher tool from Amazon based off of the reviews and the Assenmacher website details. Should have it in a about a week and can repost my results...hopefully good. ;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts