Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked as long as I could before deciding to finally join this forum and post the question! :) I just traded my 2008 SR-5 Tundra CM in for a new, 2010 Limited Tundra CM. I wanted some of the Limited upgrades that my SR-5 didn't have. Anyways, one of features on my new 2010 Tundra is the USB connection for the iPod! I LOVE this as I used the AUX connection on my 2008. Not only that, the ability to control the iPod from the radio instead of having to pick up the iPod every time to change songs. The only issue I have with it is scrolling through the list of songs on my iPod. When scrolling through the list of songs/artists on my iPod through the radio, if I leave it on a particular song/artist for more than a couple of seconds it immediately begins to play whatever song is being displayed on the radio display. This is especially irritating while listening to one song and scrolling through to find another to listen to. Again, if I don't scroll through fast enough it will immediately begin playing whatever song is shown on the radio display without me having to press the button to actually select it. Is this a setting on the iPod or something that can be changed in the radio? Oh, btw, it's a 16GB iPod Nano. I have only found this mentioned on one other site, and still, no answer was ever given. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! However, if I'm stuck with it the way it is and it can't be changed, then oh well. I still love my Tunny! lol Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
26 Posts
mazefire, I have the same issue with my 2010 DC LTD. Bugs me too so I am interested if someone has a solution.

BTW, welcome.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I have been wondering about this since I bought my 2010 CM. I have just been dealing with it. It would be nice to scroll through the artists and songs to just browse. hopefully there is a solution...

·
Supporter
111 Posts
I too have this problem, I have done some research and have not found a solution yet and just have learned to deal with it, I use my ipod classic so I have like 12k songs and it makes it hard to navigate through all of them, still it is better than having to control them through the actual ipod.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have this same thing happen on my 2010 CM platinum with Nav/HU. I've not been able to find a way to change this behavior. BTW, the same exact thing happened with my 2010 Camry Hybrid Nav/HU.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I had that issue too with my 2010 Radio (before I removed it & sold it)... Hey 2010PlatCrewmax - how are the touch-screen iPod controls with yours? I removed my radio and added an '07 Nav unit to my truck, but the '07's didn't have the USB connection, so I have to use an aftermarket interface to control my iPod, and you pretty much have to make playlists, otherwise it takes forever to scroll through Artists. Are the 2010 on-screen controls similar to the CD-MP3 interface, where it displays 6 (or so) artists at a time, and you page-down to go through the lists?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had that issue too with my 2010 Radio (before I removed it & sold it)... Hey 2010PlatCrewmax - how are the touch-screen iPod controls with yours? I removed my radio and added an '07 Nav unit to my truck, but the '07's didn't have the USB connection, so I have to use an aftermarket interface to control my iPod, and you pretty much have to make playlists, otherwise it takes forever to scroll through Artists. Are the 2010 on-screen controls similar to the CD-MP3 interface, where it displays 6 (or so) artists at a time, and you page-down to go through the lists?
Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if it's six but yes, you have a list of songs, artists, etc. that you can scroll pages at a time. Yes, it is slow but I still prefer it as it's integrated and I have steering control for skip back or skip forward. Additionally, I can control all the functions with the touch screen which I like a lot.
Interestingly (I have to mention this too), I recently upgraded to the iPHONE 4 with the latest software (4.1) and it now works flawlessly with my HU just as my nano. When I get a phone call, the call is automatically routed to the BT if answered or if I make a call.
I am very happy with the factory HU minus the minor annoyances i.e. aforementioned.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I have this same thing.

hopefully there is a way around it. I do love the 2010 USB ipod control on the LTD tundras though.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i listen to the radio. :) hahaha actually sat radio. never got into the ipod thing...too lazy to download music to one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I heard the same thing thru a friend and the fix was because of the iPod or similar iDevice, and not the truck its'self. Check the settings of the iPod unit its'self.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is off topic, but not having the built-in navigation and back up camera in the Limited that I bought, to me, was the only difference in a Platinum that I looked at. I test drove the Platinum and considered it but when I saw the inside of a Limited I didn't mind losing those couple of extra goodies... However, just hearing how you said you removed the factory radio and replaced it with another factory head unit with the built-in navigation makes me wonder if I may want to do that... Having the touchscreen radio controls/nav would be kind of cool... I *HAD* a Nuvi that I was using up until about a month ago until it went to Garmin Heaven.. Now it's just an excessively, over sized thumb drive to store files/data on! :mad: Anyways, since my truck does not have that head unit already, would I have to install the GPS antenna or could that be something that's already installed by Toyota at the factory? Perhaps, in case someone decided to upgrade the head unit the wiring/antenna would already be there? Also, did you buy it off of somewhere like eBay and did you install it yourself (if so, how difficult was it?) or have the dealership do it?

Back on the topic at hand, I don't feel *TOO* bad about the changing songs on the iPod through the radio for one reason... lol My wife bought the Ford Edge Limited that has MicroSoft's Sync built in. All you "supposedly" have to do is just press the button and speak which track, artist or genre you want it to play off of the iPod. I got frustrated after about 5 minutes of trying to get it to play "Airplanes" by B.o.B. off of my iPod that I was cursing at it... I was putting "colorful" words in between the letters of the name of the song I was so frustrated! Once I got back into Tundra, I didn't feel as bad afterwards! LOOOL

Thanks guys, for all of your replies! Hopefully someone has a solution or can point to some kind of work-around.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
^^^ Mazefire: I bought my Nav used off a member here. My truck did not have the JBL system stock (which your limited does have)... so I had to get an amp & different wiring. However, the mod will be different, and considerably less involved than mine. Here's the thread where I added the Nav to my truck... however, you'll want to do a search throughout the forum as there are threads devoted specifically to adding the Nav to the stock JBL radio system. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/195171-just-added-oem-navigation-my-non/

You can find a used 07-09 Nav unit for around $700-1300 (check ebay, Search for Sequoia too...). You'll need the GPS antenna (which you just mount under the front dash)... the Nav disk (which can be burned)... and a couple other minor wiring harnesses. If you are lucky enough to find a 2010 unit... that's fine, but it'll probably cost you more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I hook my iPhone up to the USB connector I get an error message on the radio head unit, something like "Error 5". Any ideas on that?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Make sure you have the latest software in your iphone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^^ Mazefire: I bought my Nav used off a member here. My truck did not have the JBL system stock (which your limited does have)... so I had to get an amp & different wiring. However, the mod will be different, and considerably less involved than mine. Here's the thread where I added the Nav to my truck... however, you'll want to do a search throughout the forum as there are threads devoted specifically to adding the Nav to the stock JBL radio system. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/195171-just-added-oem-navigation-my-non/

You can find a used 07-09 Nav unit for around $700-1300 (check ebay, Search for Sequoia too...). You'll need the GPS antenna (which you just mount under the front dash)... the Nav disk (which can be burned)... and a couple other minor wiring harnesses. If you are lucky enough to find a 2010 unit... that's fine, but it'll probably cost you more.
Nice... thanks for the info! Of course for around $700-$1,300 (or potentially more) I will just replace my tomb-stoned Nuvi :becky: .... Until I replace it I have been using Google Maps on my Droid ... or I may just get the car dock for the Droid and not get a replacement GPS unit... not sure how frustrating that would get after awhile.. Again, thanks for the info! :tu:

·
Registered
216 Posts
When I hook my iPhone up to the USB connector I get an error message on the radio head unit, something like "Error 5". Any ideas on that?
I'm not sure what H/U you have. With my iPhone 3g and the latest software 4.1, it was still an occassional hit and miss where I got an error reading from the iPhone. But after unplugging and plugging, it would then work. I now have an iPhone 4 with 4.1 software and this works flawlessly just like an iPod should. One thing to note: I have the factory NAV JBL system so that also may have something to do with this mix. There are multiple different Toy H/U's out there and for the most part, as far as I've read here, only the LTD/Plat radio's seem to somewhat work with the iPhone's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does the iPod interface override the XM Sat radio? In my brother-in-law's Lexus, this was the case. Once the harness was installed, the XM was not operational.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I heard the same thing thru a friend and the fix was because of the iPod or similar iDevice, and not the truck its'self. Check the settings of the iPod unit its'self.

I ran through all of the menus and settings on my 16GB Nano and couldn't find anything remotely close to any settings for external controls... I think it's a H/U issue and not the iPod... although I am going to send a copy of my initial thread to Apple Support and see what they say. I'm *SURE*, with it being an Apple product, they will say "It's not an issue with the Nano, check with Toyota or the H/U manufacturer" :dry3d: so I'll probably end up sending it to Toyota and JBL, too. Anyways, what kind of iPod does your friend have and what particular settings did he/she change to solve the issue? Thanks....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts