Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 tundra and would like to keep the factory radio assembly- but upgrade to get better sound
what are the best and least expensive upgrades- sub, amp?? any info on quality brands would be great.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
The speakers actually do a decent job if you have a better head-unit pushing them... I upgraded to a Pioneer NAV unit, which has its' own amp & EQ built in. I'm not saying they're top-notch or anything, but they produce a decent bass response & a pretty full spectrum with a better HU.... I recently bought a set of JBL speakers from "FunkyTechMonkey" on this forum (still waiting to receive them! Paid a week ago and I don't think he's shipped them yet :( )... hopefully they'll do even better with the Pioneer amp (45x4 channels).

If you're gonna add an amp & better speakers but keep the stock head-unit, you should consider also adding an EQ to customize the sound better.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
There are multiple "weak links" in the stock stereo system. The HU is far from great and the speakers are pretty much a joke. If you are looking to upgrade, you could add an amp and sub but your amps will be "line level" amps and distortion will be high. Your best bet is to replace the stock head unit, run an amp, sub, and new speakers. It can get fairly expensive. What are you looking for in the system you want to create?

·
Registered
754 Posts
he could keep it cheap and still be better than stock. I mean go to walmart today I saw:
sony components with crossover-150 bucks
600 watt amp-100 bucks
some deck VR3 or something-80 bucks
wire and misc crap-100 bucks

not to shabby with clearer and crisper sound and do the install himself...which im doing now my whole car is taken apart from the inside, belts, carpet, etc....
There are multiple "weak links" in the stock stereo system. The HU is far from great and the speakers are pretty much a joke. If you are looking to upgrade, you could add an amp and sub but your amps will be "line level" amps and distortion will be high. Your best bet is to replace the stock head unit, run an amp, sub, and new speakers. It can get fairly expensive. What are you looking for in the system you want to create?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Are you sure you're not a troll? I mean, did you seriously just tell this person to go buy car audio at Walmart?? Are you just messing with me???

·
Registered
754 Posts
its better than stock and he said "LEAST EXPENSIVE" sorry not everyone can have a limited 60k truck like yours :rolleyes:
Are you sure you're not a troll? I mean, did you seriously just tell this person to go buy car audio at Walmart?? Are you just messing with me???

·
Registered
859 Posts
Walmart is probably better than the crappy stock stereo. I am by no means a stereo fanatic, but it is pretty pi$$ poor.

·
Registered
379 Posts
[no] it's not.

There's this wonderful invention called the "Internet" that was invented by Al Gore to not only discourage global warming, but to also allow people to buy good quality car audio at reasonable prices. Look around, ask around, the money you would spend on crap at Walmart could be converted into a quality stereo for the same or slightly more money.

I agree that the factory system leaves something to be desired, but don't throw good money after bad by buying more crappy products...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd like to upgrade sound too but keep my factory USB port operational and steering wheel controls! Can't find a head unit to allow use of factory USB port!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
[no] it's not.
If this guy has the non-jbl stereo then you are wrong. The speaker magnets are seriously like five quarters stacked together. It's a complete joke. Walmart sells sony and pioneer speakers so those would be way better than stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My issue is that my wife wont let me spend enough money to purchase anything decent. I want to put a sub under my rear seat and i'm having a hard time finding a box that will fit under there. Anyone know where i can get a box that fits under there?

I was thinking about seeing if i could upgrade to the JBL audio system, but it doesnt look like its getting great reviews. Any input on that?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Anyone know where i can get a box that fits under there?
eBay or Make one yourself. will cost you $35.00

I was thinking about seeing if i could upgrade to the JBL audio system, but it doesnt look like its getting great reviews. Any input on that?
Do not waste your money in JBL crap. That was the only thing I didn't check when buying my platinum at the dealer .....:mad:

Do this first...

Get a Pioneer or alpine $350-$1000, add an Amp with a flat
sub-woofer under the seat, check the sound with the oem speakers if you like how it sounds keep them if not get a new set from crutchfield.com, I did this type of upgrade in my old 08 and came out great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts