Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a 2010 tundra, 4.6l 4x4, at about 55 mph the truck seems to shake or vibrate a little, tires or transmission? the tach holds steady, doesnt feel like its slipping. no jerk on take off or stop, bought it with 8 miles on the truck, now i am wondering if i made a good choice. any ideas would be helpful, dont want to take it back if its something stupid. like me.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
get it up to 55mph or so..then put in neutral to eliminate any transmission or driveline issues. if the vibes still there, get tires balanced. if its gone, then it might be a transmission or probally more likely a driveshaft vibration or something. try to eliminate one thing at a time on your own before you take it in and they say its nothing. my bet is a tire out of balance though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice, this is my first big truck, i have driven a 1996 nissan 4x4 for 14 yrs, it was a tough dependable truck, so im still learning how the bigger trucks ride and feel,

one question? will it hurt it to put it back in gear after shifting to neutral at 55 mph??

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yea, I would lean more towards a tire balance issue then trans. It shouldn't hurt a modern transmission one bit to throw it back into drive, its electronically controlled. Either way, with only 8 miles on it the dealer should cover it. Did you test drive it before you bought it? I took mine out for an hour line test drive before I signed papers. Drove in some grass and tested 4wd out, tested acceleration on the highway up to 90mph, braking, turning, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i didnt drive it for an hour, but yes i test drove it, i guess i made an assumption that since it was new it was ok, and it probably is. and maybe i am expecting too much out of it, it is a truck after all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It should turbine smooth at any speed. If you noticed it, something isn't right, take it to the dealer. Thats what warranties are for.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The transmission has a somewhat aggressive shift curve (shifts up fast) from what I can tell to improve milage. If the truck is in 6th gear cruising at about that speed, and you gas it a little, it may not downshift but attempt to pull the high gear (which it usually can). The engine lugs a bit and perhaps this is what you feel, but its subtle. Try sequential mode in a lower gear at the same speed and see if you still notice it. If I'm on a road that causes constant shifting between 5th and 6th I'll use S mode in 5th.

The flip side of this is the milage is excellent for a large truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts