Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, new here and looking for help to resolve my neighbors truck.

He asked to check it out , had check engine light, p0306. Removed coil found oil inside tube and in most other cylinder tubes. Removed valve covers and replaced tube seals and cover gaskets and new plugs. Had 223,000 miles. Start up still runs rough and idle is at 500rpm with now a p0303 code.
Swapped coils around and inspect new plugs and still gives same code. And will have a real low idle and won't stay on when in drive. I'm not a top auto tech but know a little here and there, but to be honest first time i work on a v8 tundra. What should I look for?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Injector?
Its not for gen 2 but doesnt meant it wouldnt be the same problem. Even if this doesnt work maybe post back if you do figure it out so you end up helping someone else in the future.

Reactions: xsnrg06Limited

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I found the 1st part of the problem, its that I'm a dumb ass.
I was checking the firing order incorrectly, assuming cyl. 1 was on left side like the 3.4l tacoma v6 has and was checking wrong cylinder. Once I got over me being a dumb-dumb , swapped the coils on #3 & #5 ,cleared codes and after start up got a p0305, so went out and got a denso coil and swapped it and no more misfire. I had been checking #4, and #6 thinking they were #3, and #5 ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still have real low rpm at idle like 500rpm and will stall when coming to a stop when driving. Will drive just just fine and shift normally , just stalls when stopping because of such low rpm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had battery disconnected for a good 24 hrs. And hope that problem will stop after driving it around for a while

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, I found the 1st part of the problem, its that I'm a dumb ass.
I was checking the firing order incorrectly, assuming cyl. 1 was on left side like the 3.4l tacoma v6 has and was checking wrong cylinder. Once I got over me being a dumb-dumb , swapped the coils on #3 & #5 ,cleared codes and after start up got a p0305, so went out and got a denso coil and swapped it and no more misfire. I had been checking #4, and #6 thinking they were #3, and #5 ?
I had to look it up. Thought I would just know but no. lol
Turned out one of my new ignitor coils took a dump. I knew they were too inexpensive to be real but boy were they Toyota Denso Looking! The seller on ebay was great and is sending me a new one. Bought 6 mths ago, installed maybe 5. Lesson learned. I replaced P302 fail with an original old I kept. ALL the originals still worked, just aged alot. Changed the VC Gasket Dr Side and changed with that plus new Denso plugs.
Get Original REAL OEM whenever possible. If a deal seems too good it probably is.
Hope your Idle Issue gets cleaned up. Have you cleaned out your throttle body and spray cleaned the MAP lately? Unplug both battery terminals, neg first, and do the job(s), replace BattTerms after a couple hours if you can, and give a hundred miles or less for your fresh clean to fully take hold with computer.
I plan on doing an Injector System clean down the road to cover my ass. Prob when I do the Pass Side VC Gasket, as when I was checking Cyl 2 and saw a little oil down by plug so...after 15 yrs 100K stuff dries up!
Happy Trails!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts