Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,058 Posts
Sounds like your alternator belt. When they go bad they get loud quick, just replaced mine.

· Registered
2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2x4 5.7L
116 Posts
Agree with JMSinMD. Replace the Serpentine belt (There is only one belt) It can be done in the driveway with a friend. I'm on my 3rd belt at 112K miles on my 08. second got noise at start up. If that is not it. it could be an idler pulley. But is belt is cheap and easy to change. I suggest the belt below. Continental Elite bought Goodyear Gatorback belts. Same belts different name. Read the reviews. people mention the same kind of noise you are hearing.

https://www.amazon.com/Continental-...835&sr=1-1&keywords=Continental+Elite+4080945

· Registered
Secondary Air Injection System Bypass Kit
912 Posts
Sounds more like an idler pulley, water pump, alternator or AC bearing to me, a metallic squeak but hard to tell without being there.
Easy test first, get some belt dressing and spray it on there with it running, if it quiets down or stops just replace the belt.
If not try to listen really carefully to identify the location it is coming from and replace the component and belt at the same time.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your replies.

I don't think it's the AC because I turned it off when I took the video.

(on an unrelated note, my heater - or AC - is also making some noise, but it comes from the passenger's side. There's a black thingy there that I have to replace at some point as well. After 10-15 minutes it warms up and stops.)

· Registered
1 Posts
So my Sequoia started making a noise after we drive it for a while. Link

Any idea what could it be?
Hello, did you ever figure out what the noise was? I have the same issue with my truck. I have replaced the belt in the past. The noise stopped for a food while but has returned once again. Belt still looks good. Please let me know your findings…

thanks ahead

· Registered
2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2x4 5.7L
116 Posts
Hello, did you ever figure out what the noise was? I have the same issue with my truck. I have replaced the belt in the past. The noise stopped for a food while but has returned once again. Belt still looks good. Please let me know your findings…

thanks ahead
I have done 3 belts on my 08 since 2011 and 127K miles of owning it, 167K total. Each time they "Looked' good but still squealed at start-up and would settle down. As they progressively get worse they sound like the the video above, in my experience. It is a cheap each fix. Breaker bar and socket on the idler pulley. I suggest pulling the metal skid plate to get better access to route the belt. I have done it in the driveway with my wife holding the breaker bar. If that does not take care of it an idler pulley would be my next move and or looking at all the accessories, ie alternator, AC compressor, water pump, one of those could have the bearings going bad. Water pump will typically leak coolant when it is failing. pink crusty stuff down the front of the motor onto the skid plate. I also replaced my water pump at 109K miles. Waterpump Mine is starting to chirp again at start-up so I will be changing it again soon. Some vehicles can go 100K or more miles and the belt never makes a sound. I have replaced a couple on 12 Camry V6, 09 RAV4 I-4, purely because they hit 100k miles. I always save the old belt, throw it in with the spare or jack tools ect., someday it might save you on the side of the road.

Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.