Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, I'm hoping somebody has some insight for me today. This actually started as an alternator job, which was easy enough with the exception of the fact that its hiding down in the bottom of the engine behind the power steering pump. I have a few choice words for the guy who decided on that configuration but I'll save that for another day. I have two questions really, the first being, is it possible to reinstall the power steering pump without having to beat the hell out of it in order to get it back into position? I suppose if I had it all to do again, I'd get into that fight with some grease on the pump and mounting slot, but if anybody has something to add, I'm all ready to take suggestions. Second question is, now that everything is back together, why doesn't the pump work. I didn't actually do anything to it, except unplug the two electrical connectors and swing it out of the way in order to pull the alternator. Negative battery cable disconnected from the start of the job and everything put back together the way it was, but after jump starting the truck, no power steering. While anything is possible, It seems unlikely that it would have chosen exactly that moment to fail. I'm ready to accept that I might have damaged it in the process of getting it into position, so feel free to mock me if that's the case. Lol. If you're curious about the exact method I used, it was basically a steel bar and a hammer. Some additional info that might be relevant: truck has 117,000 miles, probably is ready for a new serpentine belt, and as far as I know, has the original tensioner pulley. Also, the pulley on the power steering pump spins freely with no trouble, and I'm pretty sure the serpentine belt is routed correctly. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Before assuming the pump is dead cant you take it to a local shop that could bench test it for you? Just thinking you could spend hundreds on a new pump only to find you have the same problem. I doubt a shop would charge much to test it, and if it is fried maybe they can rebuild it cheaper than getting a new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, yeah that's probably the next thing for me to do. I was sorta hoping that somebody might have had a similar experience, and could say, "oh dude, you forgot to reset the hyperspeed transmogrifier", but as of yet, I haven't found any additional steps while researching this repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: when I got to look under the hood in daylight, it became obvious that the serpentine belt wasn't installed correctly. Sorted that out and all is well.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Not to be a smart ass but have you search this site to see if there are already any existing threads on this or anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's cool man, smart ass people are my kind of people. I did do some searching on here, but admittedly, in my frustration, probably not as much as I could have. I do appreciate you taking the time to help though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts